Campfire Regular
P
From the Post Falls Press, Post Falls, Idaho

Gun accident prompts man to sue rifle company, Wal-Mart
Posted: Friday, Oct 24, 2008 - 10:25:00 pm PDT
Email this story Printer friendly version By TOM GREENE
Staff writer
James Monette lost 'practical use of his hand' when weapon misfired

COEUR d'ALENE -- A Coeur d'Alene man is suing a rifle-making company and Wal-Mart after a gun he bought at the store in Post Falls allegedly exploded, permanently injuring his hand.

James Monette bought the Mossberg 100 ATR 30-06 Springfield hunting rifle as a Christmas present for his son in 2005, according to court documents.

While elk hunting in October 2006, Monette was handing the rifle to his son when "it misfired and the bolt action exploded sending parts (including the rifle's bolt) and fragments into Monette's right hand causing severe injuries ..." according to the complaint filed in district court Oct. 21.

"It cost him the practical use of his hand. He can use the hand, but he can't grip and he can't write," said James Siebe, Monette's attorney.

The complaint was filed against the Mossberg Corp. and its subsidiaries, Wal-Mart and the bullet manufacturer Remington Arms Company. A Wal-Mart representative said Friday the company had no comment at the time since its legal counsel has not had a chance to review the case. Joe Bartozzi, general counsel for Mossberg Corp., did not return phone calls.

The bullet manufacturer Remington Arms Company was named as a defendant in the lawsuit "in the event that any or all other named defendants claim that the ammunition was defective," according to court documents.

Siebe said he is also working with two other men in two other states who had similar issues with rifles manufactured by Mossberg.

"One guy had his face blown off and with the other guy it nearly severed his hand," Siebe said.

The lawsuit is asking for a judgment in excess of $10,000. Siebe said the final amount is expected to be "substantially more" than $10,000.

Email this story Printer friendly version

Last edited by panhandle; 10/25/08.

Dick

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
most likely due to consumer misuse.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While elk hunting in October 2006, Monette was handing the rifle to his son when "it misfired and the bolt action exploded "

Safes like unsafe gun handling to me.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
From what I've seen, we can speculate the hell out of this, and turn it into a 30 page condemnation of Christians, if we just give it a chance.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Not the first time one of these rifles have come apart.

til later

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the attorney's on the board, in what conceivable way is Walmart culpable? Are they expected to test each product they sell or just a handy, deep pocketed target?

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Here's a link to a review on another forum. It isn't a bad review, but it does mention the "floating" locking lugs, held by a pin, a design used by several manufacturers.

Mossberg ATR

Apparently, one of the things that can go wrong with this design is the pin can break, and there is no indication to the user that the lugs didn't rotate and lock the bolt to the action.

Perhaps Mossberg isn't using the same quality parts as Savage, if their version has trouble. (?)

Anyway, if this was the mode of failure, it can destroy the action without incorrect ammo or operator error.

Personally, I like the old Winchester Model 70, but I understand it is expensive to manufacture.

.30-06 Springfield: 100 yrs + and still going strong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to have a raptor arms rifle,which the mossberg atr is a direct copy of,in fact,mossberg must have bought the machinery and tooling when raptor arms folded.
Mine was beset with problems,from very poor bedding in the stock,to poor design ,or at least poor execution of design,to the scope base had to be shimmed .050 on one end to let the rings line up.I ended up selling it for half of what i paid for it,and was glad to be rid of it.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMO, it would take some real strong and deliberate torque on the bolt handle to break the pin. I looked at one of these, and the pin seems substantial. Granted, defects in Material happen...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've read that the new Marlin XL-7 has a pinned in bolt head,too, but with a key and slot for positive rotation even if the pin was missing.

Still waiting to see one, though.

Bruce

IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sounds like either a design or manufacturing defect to me or a case of careless handling. Thsi then would be Mossberg's issue, not the retailer (WalMart) or the ammunition manufacturer (Remington). I assume that there are some rounds of ammo left that can be tested for pressure or defects, and the retailer is certainly not to blame (they have to assume that all goods are manufacturer tested). That leaves Mossberg and its liabilty insurers.

Who knows what happened. But even careless handling would not caurse an explosion. Maybe the firing pin broke or the sear was not fully engaged, OR --

maybe there was no "explosion", but rather in handling the gun to the son, the trigger was pulled and his hand was in front of the muzzle.

We'll just have to wait until the evidence is presented.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Don't forget the barrel full of mud. If it is a defect in design, Mossberg should back it up. I doubt Remington sent out a bunch of stuff that was that overloaded or there would have been other incidents. As for Wal'Mart, "deep pockets". Next someone will be saying their Wally quit selling guns.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I would like to see a more detailed story on this. MSM has the tendency to misquote everything, but gun stories in particular.

If he was simply "handing the rifle to his son" there's no reason that it should have "blown up."

Safety should have been on. Fingers away from trigger. Ammo doesn't explode by itself. Must be one of those "evil black guns." They have a mind of their own.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When this controversy was all said and done...

What happened? Did mossberg pay up? Did they recall rifles? Were they vindicated?

Love your neighbor as yourself. Do not take into account a wrong suffered. Never return evil for evil. Resist not the violent man. Turn the other cheek, go the second mile, give to him that asks.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
From what I've seen, we can speculate the hell out of this, and turn it into a 30 page condemnation of Christians, if we just give it a chance.

You hit the nail on the head...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Why the [bleep] is he suing Wallmart. Sounds like Bambam is on his defense team.

Sue the guns shops too....crazy

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this from the same family as the Stevens bolt action rifle currently being marketed guys? I'm looking for an entry level rifle for my daughter, but I've heard a few too many stories about these guns to feel comfortable buying one of them.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Was he really using remington ammo or just using remington head stamp brass to reload and over loaded it? At this point based on the article the whole thing smells like week old fish. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Jeff,

You may want to look into a Savage for a gun in that price range on a new gun. Or maybe used?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stick with the Remington 700 action and be done with it. Law suits like this are always money orentiated regardless

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,168
Posts18,484,544
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.