Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
TheDude Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a MRC 1999 in 270wsm I just traded for. It is a fine round for a few specific purposes i suppose...lets say long shots at antelope etc but I dont live in antelope country and the longest shot ive ever taken was 335 yards on a hunt down in Arizona a couple years back. That was with a 35 Whelen. Typical shots for me are 250 yards or less. Anyway...ive always been a big fan of heavier slower pills in general. I like my 9.3x62 and favor that over any of my other rifles for most hunting. I also have a 300 wm that nocks the snot out of em on the spot but tears up alot of meat on close up to medium range shots. All this has me wondering why there are no big bore short action calibers available with todays short action craze. I would like to see something like a .375 wsm or even better a .416 wsm in a factory SA chambering...anyway just some thoughts.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is all about money. Chances are they would not sell well. After all America is brainwashed on velocity. By the way I also have a 9.3x62 and like it a lot!

NRA Patron Member.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
375 Ruger, 416 Ruger is what your looking for..No flies on the 9.3x62, its a great caliber. there are many wildcats that suit your purpose and the .338 Win is a real winner..

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
the 375 ruger is a long action cartridge. but the cartridge your looking for does exist.. its the 350rm.

There is the 458x2" if your looking for a big bore, not factry round though.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by noKnees
the 375 ruger is a long action cartridge. but the cartridge your looking for does exist.. its the 350rm.

There is the 458x2" if your looking for a big bore, not factry round though.

I am familiar with the 350 rm. Other than a short action it gives me nothing over my 9.3x62. I have read about the 35 Sambar which is a WSM case necked up to .358 which would be sweet but again not much over the 9.3...I guess as far as a big bore short action goes my only option is a wildcat. In the end I will most likely re barrel my Ruger Hawkeye to a 416 Ruger which I hear will be a factory round sooner than later but we'll see...I also like the 416 Taylor and it will fit nicely into my 300 wm action. As far as the short action big bore goes I guess i'll just keep dreamin'....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a 375WSM in a light rifle comes back......fast......worked pretty good at popping my back grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A misfeed when hunting something that bites back can ruin your whole day. Conventional cartridges feed and extract better than short fat ones. Short magnums trade length for magazine capacity.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Dare I say Marlin 1895 in 45-70? whistle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I found your short action dream rifle! Charlie Sisk makes it. It is called the Bradley Yukon. It is a short action model 70 chambered in 450 marlin.

http://www.siskguns.com/Bradley_Yukon.htm

A first impression says this a lever gun cartridge. Check out Charlie's video on how this rifle feeds. AWESOME!

http://www.siskguns.com/Videos/videos.htm

Digging deeper I found this:

If the .450 Marlin looks familiar it's because it is basically the .458x2" American -- a cartridge developed in the early 1960s by shortening a .458 Win. Mag. case. This allowed the building of a lightweight, short-action, big-bore bolt gun for those that wanted the caliber, but not the heavy recoil of the .458, nor the long-actioned heavy rifles in which it was chambered. It also worked in converted Winchester Model 94s.

The .458x2" American was a belted cartridge just as is the new .450 Marlin. The .458x2" American was even often referred to as a belted .45-70. What happened to it? It was soon realized that the .458x2" would enter the chamber of a 7mm Mag. or .338 Mag., and the results, if fired, could be disastrous. Because of this theoretical problem, a good cartridge simply remained a wildcat proposition.

To counter this "problem," the Marlin round has a higher belt so that it cannot enter the chambers of rifles intended for other belted rounds, nor will it fit in a .45-70.

--------------------------------------------------------------
More from Chuck Hawks:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/450Marlin.htm

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HawkI
Dare I say Marlin 1895 in 45-70? whistle

Yes I know..I have one already and an XLR in 45-70 as well...love the old 45-70...just cant stop lookin for an excuse to make a new rifle.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the 375WSM is a fun round.....would have liked it better in a different stock than the McSwirly in Remington Mtn rifle pattern.....the wrist was to skinny for my hands and was a lil slick.....it was a light rifle and it came back hard and fast, so skinny wrist on the stock combined with my bands and it liked to slide a wrap my fingers on the bolt handle and trigger guard....a thicker wrist aswell as some friction tape would have likely ment more comfortable shooting......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Azshooter
I think I found your short action dream rifle! Charlie Sisk makes it. It is called the Bradley Yukon. It is a short action model 70 chambered in 450 marlin.

http://www.siskguns.com/Bradley_Yukon.htm

A first impression says this a lever gun cartridge. Check out Charlie's video on how this rifle feeds. AWESOME!

http://www.siskguns.com/Videos/videos.htm

Digging deeper I found this:

If the .450 Marlin looks familiar it's because it is basically the .458x2" American -- a cartridge developed in the early 1960s by shortening a .458 Win. Mag. case. This allowed the building of a lightweight, short-action, big-bore bolt gun for those that wanted the caliber, but not the heavy recoil of the .458, nor the long-actioned heavy rifles in which it was chambered. It also worked in converted Winchester Model 94s.

The .458x2" American was a belted cartridge just as is the new .450 Marlin. The .458x2" American was even often referred to as a belted .45-70. What happened to it? It was soon realized that the .458x2" would enter the chamber of a 7mm Mag. or .338 Mag., and the results, if fired, could be disastrous. Because of this theoretical problem, a good cartridge simply remained a wildcat proposition.

To counter this "problem," the Marlin round has a higher belt so that it cannot enter the chambers of rifles intended for other belted rounds, nor will it fit in a .45-70.

--------------------------------------------------------------
More from Chuck Hawks:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/450Marlin.htm

I have considered this as well and believe I would go with the 45-70 if I were to build it on a bolt action. I am sure one could greatly improve on the lever action performance when chambered on a bolt action especially if I were to go with a longer barrel. But then that would defeat the purpose of having a short action in the first place. Maybe ruger will come out with a 375 or 416 RCM.....that would be interesting.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rattler
the 375WSM is a fun round.....would have liked it better in a different stock than the McSwirly in Remington Mtn rifle pattern.....the wrist was to skinny for my hands and was a lil slick.....it was a light rifle and it came back hard and fast, so skinny wrist on the stock combined with my bands and it liked to slide a wrap my fingers on the bolt handle and trigger guard....a thicker wrist aswell as some friction tape would have likely ment more comfortable shooting......

Rattler...do you still have the dies?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nope, sold the rifle and dies over a year ago...loved the rifle when i bought it(was the third owner of it, that should have told me something crazy )...after putting 40 or so rounds through it decided it wasnt quite what i wanted and traded it for a Kimber Montana in 260...other end of the recoil spectrum grin i think the cartridge was sound, fed fine, just didnt work well in that particular rifle.....with better stock fit, maybe a heavier barrel contour and it would have been a hell of an elk rifle......

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The WSM's have been pretty well wildcatted: 375, 416, 423 and 458 have been done. The 458 has been further improved with shoulder blown forward to produce the 458Alpine. Same improved case has been 9.3'd. The 350RemMag case has also been 416'd.

Sales opportunities are too limited to see factory rifles in these chamberings. Lazzeroni also had their line of short-magnums.
Cheers...
Con

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The .375 Ruger is not a long action..It is a med. action, the same as a 30-06..The 375 H&H and 416 Rem are long actions..The difference in a 06 length action and a short action is slightly less that 1/4 inch of bolt through, if you cannot handle that then you probably can't chew gum and walk! smile smile It does give you a lot more choices..I have never seen a single advantage to a "short action", as you simply have to give up too much for little reason IMO...

If I really wanted to go short, then I would use a Ruger No.1 and any caliber I wished for.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Try here for some medium/big bores based off of the WSM case.

http://www.arcticgunworks.com/main_pages/custom_guns.htm

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by atkinson
The difference in a 06 length action and a short action is slightly less that 1/4 inch of bolt through,

Ray -

That's not right. A true '06 length action will handle a 3.34" cartridge length. Ruger 77 "long" action, for instance. A short action like the Remington 700 or Seven is set up for a 2.8" cartridge, so ... 0.54" difference. Not a quarter inch, but just over a half.

Hope you don't take the correction too personally.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Doesn't Lazzeroni have some cartridges that would qualify as "short action" thumpers? Their 9.53 Hellcat, 10.57 Maverick, and the 12.04 Lilmufu certainly seem to fit this description.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Tom,
Your correct I just didn't want to go and look it up and 1/4 sounded about right, but I'll go with 1/2" and still stand by my statement..It's a miniscule amount of bolt throw IMO and not a good reason to give up the use of a caliber that will fit ones needs was the point I was trying to make..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,783
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.