Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Hello! I am new to this forum, so please bear with me. I have a vintage 1950's Savage 99 I picked up recently in original condition. Not drilled or tapped, butt plate is "right" and wood is original with no cracks or sling swivels added. I am very happy with my acquisition as I had looked for some time to find a decent 99 at a fair price. It is in .300 Savage.
The question/problem I have is this...I have read several forums and blogs that say you should avoid pulling the rifle apart as it is a bear to reassemble. That said, the old girl is in need of a cleaning, specifically the reciever/round counter etc. Any tips or diagrams or anything that may help me? I don't want to rip her all the way down, but I would like to clean the moving parts some! Thanks, JC

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JC, Taking a Savage apart is not too difficult but you must have the proper tools. The buttstock is removed by takign off the buttplate and then, using a large and long screwdriver, remove the stock screw that is inside the stock. That will expose the bolt as well as the sear mechanism and perhaps you won't need to go further in that direction. To remove the magazine spool, take off the forearm. Then remove the screw that is on the left side of the receiver toward the front. Be advised, that magazine spool is under spring tension and it will be difficult to preplace. After the screw on the side of the receiver is removed, the magazine spool is removed from the front of the action. And, there are parts, such as the magazine cut off which also has the empty case ejector on it, that are aligned and ride the shaft that the spool rotates on. Getting those lined-up for reassembly is not the easiest. What you might do instead is see if you can clean the inside of the action by reaching in the a Q-tip or something. Don't take the magazine out unless you really need to. For one thing, finding good Savage 99 gunsmiths these days is getting hard to do...

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
303Mike....which leads to my next question...in the strange event of a water landing can I use my seat cushion as a flotation device????LOL I.E., are there any reputable Savage 99 gunsmiths left in the world that could help if God frobid something ever went south on this beauty?

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fatjack, If you really need to take that 99 apart, then you simply need to take it apart. Go for it and be sure you don't lose anything. Like I said, use proper fitting screwdrivers and treat the gun very nicely. Then if you have troubles, report back here.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They are pretty dang simple, the spool is the only tricky part.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey fatjack, you stole my avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
fatjack,

If you do remove the buttstock from the frame as described above be gentle and pull straight back, the side tenons are fragile and don't take torque very well. Also, if you get past this point and want to remove the firing pin assembly from the bolt, be mindful of the small rebound spring underneath the firing pin. It will come out with the firing pin and it is small.

Mechanically, the action is pretty simple and mostly visible with the butt stock removed.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I'm having trouble getting my safety slide and spring back in. It's the s shaped spring that goes in the square hole. Any tips? Thanks, Dave

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Lozen...asking the wrong cat...one of the helpful pro's will be along soon to help. Lot's of gr8 info. from these guys!
You up in Warren off 89? I live in Manchester.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
I am going to try the Gun Scrubber degreaser aerosol option for getting the crud out of the action. I am not yet comfortable breaking down the gun as the vibe I am getting is that it is pretty easy to screw things up. I do not have the proper tools and I do not want to start buggering up screws as the gun is sweet overall. I will update my effort when I complete it tonight, Thanks boys. JC

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Used casey/birchwood brand GUN SCRUBBER in the action and it seemed to do a good job. The rotary mechanism had some saaaaarious crud on the brass counter side, to the point of obscuring some of the numbers...not any more! Looks pretty sharp for a 58 year old gun and the mechanical works look even better!
I wish there was a way to research the records and find out where this baby started it's life. I got it out of Washington state, but now it resides in NH which is an amazing journey!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try a factory letter. It may tell you where it was first shipped. It will at least tell you when.

From the Misc Good Info sticky above:

John T. Callahan,
Savage Arms Historian
53 Old Quarry Road
Westfield, MA 01085

New prices as of 12/1/2006:

Savage 1895's, 1899's and 99's are $30.00

Other Savages are $25.00.

Stevens are $20.00.

A.H. Fox Sterlingworths-$30.00.

Graded doubles are $40.00.

Send serial number and details of the item, allow 5-6 weeks for delivery.

Make payable to John T. Callahan

NOTE: If you state that you are a "24" member and list your "24" name you can purchase the Savage 1895's, 1899's and 99's letter for $25.00 each.

NOTE: JC has requested that you not send for more than 3 letters at a time. Big orders put him behind and cause other peoples requests to set so that they do not get answered in a timely manner. Thanks.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,159 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,930
Posts18,479,895
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.