Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You never know where you are gonna find the next Obama supporter.....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I wonder if she could have done it if she had Bell's palsy?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I could guess.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If anybody would know.......

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
They don't know if they can't get their hand around a double stack grip? Ok........

Met a lot of ladies who grabbed a gun and didn't think it felt right. A few hours later they were fine with it. All but the smallest hands will go around a Glock grip, and they shoot them better than little revolvers.

IC B2

RSY Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RyanScott
They don't know if they can't get their hand around a double stack grip? Ok........

Met a lot of ladies who grabbed a gun and didn't think it felt right. A few hours later they were fine with it. All but the smallest hands will go around a Glock grip, and they shoot them better than little revolvers.

You are exactly right. Almost any beginning shooter will do well with one of the striker-fired pistols (Glock, XD, M&P) in 9mm. The little revolvers are really experts' tools.

Starting ladies or kids on a snubbie revolver can be as frustrating as making someone shoot a .410 for their first scattergun. It often turns out not to be a good experience for any involved.

Scott

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I say a DA revolver is the only way to go to begin with. I will only carry auto's and DAO ones at that for a reason. In a home defense gun one needs it to be as simple as possible for sleepy/sudden need to use it. The less BS one has to deal with the better. My recommendation is 2 revlovers a .22LR revolver, like a Taurus 94 and a .38 special be it a Taurus 85, the new 6 shot J-frame the 856 or a 3 or 4" S&W in the same chambering. A brick of ammo for the .22 and a case for the .38 spl.

Later if she wants one can progress to autos and the manual of arms they require.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Simplicity is best with a new shooter. Revolver and lots of practice.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The manual of arms for a Glock is pretty simple: grasp, aim, squeeze trigger. There are different frame sizes so unless the lady has very small hands the chances of finding a fit are good. The recoil springs in them don't seem nearly as heavy as those in a lot of other makes, so after a bit of familiarization making the gun ready shouldn't be an issue.

I like DA revolvers too, but most that I've tried could use a good professional action tune to lighten, but more importantly smooth that long pull.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The challenge is fitting a woman�s hand with guns made for men. Women tend to have narrow hands with long fingers, somewhat the opposite of men. The guns I have found that fit a woman�s hand best are:

Revolvers
Ruger SP101 with factory grips
S&W K frame, Round butt with Pachmayr Compac Professional grips (the one with the open backstrap)
Revolver grips � Stay away from anything that has finger grooves, as they are surely to be too far spaced out.

Autos
Kahr K9 series (either steel or polymer frame)
Astra A70 or A75 (very high quality single stack 9mm & .40�s that no one knows about)
S&W 3913

I have taught a lot of women to shoot, and I�ve always had the best luck with these guns.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
In a revolver I would recommend a Ruger GP100 or a Smith& Wesson 686. You can start out with low power 38 Special loads and work your way up to mid power 357 loads like the 110gr load from Federal, Remington or Winchester, or the mid power 357 Golden Sabre load from Remington. In a pistol I would recomend a DAO pistol like the S&W M&P or Sigma, the Ruger SR9 or P95, the Glock 17, Springfield XD9 or a myrad of other DAO pistols in 9mm Luger. The 38 Special and 9mm Luger are easy rounds to control and are reasonably inexpensive to practice with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by btb375

+1

My wife has a friend that carries a Ladysmith and loves it. It is a snubbie but for home use, not target it appears to be a good litle ladies gun.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My wife carries a Kel-Tech 380 auto and likes it well to carry. She also has a Glock 27? 40cal sub-compact. She shoots the bigger Glock better and that's what lays on her side of the bed.

Just don't come home unexpected and try to scare them for fun when they have guns. While its pretty sexy when she is standing there with a left sock on only holding a gun, it kind of kills the moment when its pointed at you.

RSY Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by btb375

Simplicity AND low recoil.

As for grips, the new S&W M&P semi-auto with the swappable backstraps satisfies all of the above.

Scott

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by RyanScott

You are still wrong, but that's ok.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
There's no restrike IIRC in a Glock and I'm talking about clearing jams FTF's and FTE's. There is more to do than simply pull the trigger again as there is in a DA revolver. To begin with simplicity is best period. Auto's- all of them require more training and practice.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
No matter how many times I tell her there's nothing sexier than a good looking woman who can handle a large-frame single-action auto (preferably a 1911)well, my wife sticks with her 3 inch Model 36.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
True. That's so natural to me at this point that I don't actively think about it.

Learning to manage a DA pull is still a pretty steep hill for a beginner though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The recommendation toward revolvers is somewhat stereotypical and often wrong. It has been the experience of almost every law enforcement and military agency in the world that people (including women) tend to shoot auto pistols better. They have better ergonomics and better triggers (on average), which results in higher scores. You don�t have to agree with me, but if you disagree, then your argument is with factual data, not my opinion.

9 times out of 10, if you hand an auto that fits her to a woman, she will shoot it better, have more confidence and enjoy herself much more on the range.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Here's my one datapoint. My wife is completely freaked out by the concept of the slide coming back towards her when the gun fires, so she will only shoot revolvers. Just something to consider.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,824
Posts18,516,791
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.