Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've hunted with Leupold's for over twenty years. I'm not saying they're the best scope out there but I like them for the usual reasons: decent optics, light weight, generous eye relief, toughness, and service.

I've owned and used the VXI, II & III as well as the older Vari-X scopes. I've used them under different conditions including the edges of legal shooting time. For a hunting scope I can't see enough optical difference to justify the substantial difference in price. To me the click adjustments of the VXII & VXIII are the biggest plus they have over the VXI. I'll probably get a lot of disagreement on this but does anyone else think it might be the best value of the three.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I just bought one here from Gmoney. I'll have an opinion after coyote season, but so far it looks good to me.

I think that the II and III might have a bit better coatings which will only reveal themselves in very dim light.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The VXI's are the equivalent of the old Vari-X II's. They have the same adjustments, construction and coatings--and you can still buy them for about the same price as the Vari-X II's went for 20-odd years ago. There ain't much in the world you can can say that about....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a 3-9 VX I mounted on my .280AI for this deer season. Other than the friction adjustments being a bit of a PIA to zero I like it fine.

Last week I did my final zero check for hunting season by throwing my jacket over the edge of a big rock and I had no trouble hitting a 12 ounce can at 126 yards with the scope set on 6x and hitting palm sized rocks at 126, 274, and 309 yards according to the laser rangefinder from the same rest setup.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the VX-I very much .A very good scope for the money. Many of my hunting friends that are not especially interested in optics have got a VX-I. It's much better than Tasco, cheap Bushnells or no name scopes.
For the moment I think Leupold VX-I with no doubt is the most populare scope in Norway. And the price is now lower than ever. I payed a lot more for my Vari-XIIc 8 years ago :-(

IC B2

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
From Leupold:
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/resources/faq/#questionFive

"The VX-I also utilizes a combination of Vari-X III and Vari-X II technology, utilizing �-MOA friction (non-clicking) adjustments. The external lenses are multicoated and the internal lenses use magnesium fluoride."

My bold font. Sounds like it should be better than the Vari-X II scopes.

Bruce

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Recently I was doing a little shopping around to help a friend of a friend replace a low end junky scope and caught a VX-I 3-9x40 for $149. Good deal.

I've installed VX-I scopes for guys in similar circumstances and IIRC they all had a bluish tint to the lenses. Leupold's website at those times said something like "standard multicoat lens system" and I think it still does.

But this latest one's lenses had a green hue like Multicoat 4. If that's what it is then even better deal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like the Elite 4200 3-9x40 @ $250 a whole lot better.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I like the Elite 4200 3-9x40 @ $250 a whole lot better.

+1!

To my eyes, the 4200 outpaces the VXIII, for the same price as a VXI. It's a no-brainer.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Tack on another half inch of eye relief and get rid of the just popped out of a blister pack styling and you might have something there. laugh

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by mathman
Tack on another half inch of eye relief and get rid of the just popped out of a blister pack styling and you might have something there. laugh

Kind of like a brick-laying contractor who chooses a pickup truck based on legroom and paint color, rather than horsepower, torque, or hauling capacity.

As I said in my post, "... To MY eyes...".

To each their own.

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 11/05/08.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have a 3-9 model.Can't find no fault in it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You sort of missed the eye relief - legroom analogy there. It's an operational characteristic I value highly.

As to brightness, well I'll admit there are scopes that are brighter to my eye than Leupold's lower models. But in deliberate trials in a couple of particularly dark spots near stands I sit I've found that my MC4 coated 6x42 scopes would allow me to cleanly make shots well before and well after legal shooting hours. Next time I go out I may put a spare old Vari-X II 3-9x40 in the gear bag to test in the same spots. If I do I'll give an honest assessment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not the 4200....they are first class

It must feel so good to be right all the time.....
Click "Ignore"..get rid of the whore..
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
mathman said; "You sort of missed the eye relief - legroom analogy there." It's an operational characteristic I value highly.

It's also an operational characteristic that is overrated about 80% of the time (except on the hardest of kickers). Has Leupy or your VX I, II, or II ever heard of Rainguard........it works my friend.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Nope, short eye relief and I just don't get along even on not so hard kickers so I guess I'm a 20 percenter. This is with a range of stock geometries, pull lengths and recoil levels so please don't start into stock fit and scope mounting.

Rainguard may work great, I'm certainly not going to say it's a bad idea. I haven't been handicapped without it so far though.

The original question was if anyone else liked the VX-I, and I gave a positive answer. That doesn't make me a KooLaid drinker though. There are several non-L scopes that I like for a variety of reasons and purposes. For example the 3-9x40 Conquest at Doug's price is a screaming good deal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree on the Conquest, and I have VX III's (actually only 1 left). Just stating the case for this particular Elite that's all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got one and like it just fine. I've got plenty of VXII's and a VXIII, and the VXI gives a lot of bang for the buck.

You couldn't pay me to put a Bushnell anything on a hunting rifle or around my neck. I've purchase my last POS optic with the Bushnell banner on it.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by DaveR

You couldn't pay me to put a Bushnell anything on a hunting rifle or around my neck. I've purchase my last POS optic with the Bushnell banner on it.

I agree completely! Bushnell used to make a good product but that was a LONG time ago. Not only that but they haven't backed their product up for years.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,585
Posts18,511,090
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.