Hop To
Page 83 of 1,842 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
grin

yeah, well... i aint missing no deer hunting, not even for the vikes!!

Something clever here.

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
As I sit here contemplating my next move of bowhunting from the place I'll hunt to the gear needed I wonder.. I wonder what is Buck Jam? Sounds like that would be a good thing to put infront of one of my stands too!!!!

The MILaw is coming to town and so far Thunderkiddo is doing ok this week,since they will be doing what women want, like shopping. I'm good to go on a weekend full of bowhunting and duckhunting possibly. So I'm packing the backpack now and Yep I will finally buy my tag tomorrow. Between kiddo's deer and the Monster 170 inch buck I saw this morning on the way to work, by golly maybe I'll remember how to draw my bow again..

Good Luck to All of you going this weekend, someone keep an eye on Ole Dave though....... I fear he may just get all rutting ready and start a number of deer hunters into the woods then forget his own rifle. Make sure he remebers his rifle ok..

Oh ya might remind him Ole forky toes seems to have a taste for beer too, from the trail of cans on the ground behind forky toes tracks. Beer might work good for bringing the buck in close??

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
buck jam is just some crap designed to catch hunters. and it works! grin
I'd have been just as good off pouring a bag of salt on the ground there I think.

Good luck wabo, i'll try to remember my boomstick.

grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
salt doesn't smell as good. might have to try buckjam on some pancakes.

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
This is the longest day of the year.

The day before MN deer hunting opener!!

Tonight we all start gathering together at what will be year 2 of our deer camp. We are very much looking forward to it, we'll take lots of pictures, we'll endure what ever mother nature gives us for weather & it's just going to be a great time.

Our camp is still largely about healing the pain from the loss of a man that was so many things to our group, a father to some, a son to another, a best friend & cousin to me.

We're all a little stronger in the heart than we were a year ago at this time. We'll continue in that direction. Last year was fantastic, this year will be even better.

Good luck to you all & to your camps & the groups you hunt with. Thank you all for the encouraging words & for the interest in the thread.

I hope to post some 1st weekend results with stories & pictures early next week.

Dave

Something clever here.

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dave,

I wish you all the best of luck this weekend!!! The only regret I have at the moment is not living closer to all you guys up north especially ole Rooster I'd just give him one of my slugsters to get his wife out.

I woke to a crisp clear morning with the ground relatively dry here, I'm looking forward to the morning tomorrow. Waiting to hearing all the animals scurryin through the leaves and maybe crunchin Mr. Big coming in. However I wouldn't mind seeing snow as the animals are easier to see then, can ya send some down. It will be a Long day for me too, now back to work.. Good Luck to All this weekend!!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
That would be awesome Wabo. If ya ever get a chance to get up nort give me and 'ol Dave a holler. We only live 3 hours apart and when I'm running late for a fishin trip, I can make it in a little over two! laugh

Dave -
Your camp will be even better this year. The pain, while still there, is not as fresh. The laughs will be easier to come by now and that is the way our best buddy would have wanted it. May you hear his echoing laughter inter-mixed with yours and his family!Here's to good times, to big bucks, to cold beer, to good women, to men in big swishy suits, to being smelly and no one cares, to family and friends, to the ones we have lost, and most of all to safety. Stay safe out there everyone and GOOD LUCK! CHEERS!!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
As the new season is right upon us we must all think about the ones that aren't going to be with us at camp this year, one of my good hunting buddies will not be in the stands this year but i know he'll be looking down upon us kicking himself for not being here. For that night he took his own he will be missed by alot of friends and family. I want to dedicate my season to him this year as it won't be the same without him here. I had a sawblade painted this week that i am going to hang in my shack as a memorial to him, it was his biggest buck he had taken and was ecstacic about it. Sorry for the rant, its just getting harder as it comes closer today. Thanks for the great thread you started Dave, You'll be missed Chuck!!

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
very sorry to hear that buschy, it's tough.

nice you are doing things to show memory of your friend.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It was hard right away and now its getting tougher. He was a good guy. His dad and brother will be making the trip up this year and hopefully they will appreciate the little memorial for him. i think i will sit in his stand tomorrow morning and hope he sends that good buck my way, it was always fun to put them guys in the stands and wathc them get the big ones.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
He will be in that stand with you! Sorry for your loss. I know how you feel and it is the toughest thing I have dealt with in my 38 years. Keep the memories alive and I hope you get the buck of a lifetime.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not a day goes by that you don't think about it and ask yourself why or how could've you helped. life is way to short! Thanks for listeneing, Let's all Hunt and Be safe!!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hunt it up guys!!

Woooooo!

chickenbuck ranch war cry is Woo-Loo-Loo-Loo-Loo!!

grin

(kind of an inside joke)

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Ya know boys, I've been a thinkin as I sit here at work trying to get outa here asap to get ready for the timber goat harvest.

Now keep in mind this would have to be approved by Mr and Mrs ND of course but what if we all agreed to a date in the summer and had a 'Birth of a Deer Camp' reunion? We could all camp out in da woods for a weekend. Have a rootin, tootin, shootin, wild game grillin good time. Get to meet each other face to face. Swap stories. Shoot the bull. Shoot the guns. Rifles, pistols, black powder, bows you name it. Bring hunting photo albums whatever. Maybe go four wheelin, bon fire, beers/cocktails. If it worked out, then maybe it becomes an annual thing. Something to look forward to. Like deer camp only the meat pole would be empty. (I guess we could hang some rabbits or something from it) But anyway, you see what I'm getting at here? If Dave and Pam thought this might be something they would want to do, would there be any interest from the regulars on this thread? I realize some of you live a long ways away but it might be the most fun you can have outside of real deer camp. Something to plan for. Now Dave if I'm stepping over my bounds, just call me and tell me to shut the hell up. I'm sitting here at work going stir crazy and I'm probably rambling but I truly think it would be GREAT to meet all these fine people that have made this thread so awesome! We might need a lot of needles and thread though because I gots a feelin we would all be in stitches!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fellow "Birth of a deer camp members",
I'll be thinking about you all tomorrow morning.I wish you all much hunter's luck and most of all a wish for a safe day.
Due to the healing sternum from the heart bypass surgery I am going to completely miss deer season this year for the first time since wayyyyy back in 1975.
Rooster7,boy what an idea!Kinda like the old mountain man rendevous.
Forky toes look out tomorrow!
Full reports expected asap.

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Rooster, Thats a Great idea!!! If I or We can work it out I'd be interested forsure!!!

Stan,

Sorry to hear that my friend, keep the chin up and walking you'll be back hunting in notime... I saw 4 does and 3 turkey this morning, heading back to the woods in a bit..
I'm going back wearing the BigSwishMans coveralls with 25 mph winds its chilly out...

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Well this morning ole forky toes paid me a visit at 50 yards he knew something was up but couldn't quite pin me. He did the stand forever alert thing then finally just kinda pranced off tail down. 160 incher on a guess, 10 point, I'll be looking for him for awhile, he is lucky I didn't have the Marlin, maybe next week. Had alittle 5 point come in to 20 yards it was nice watching him walk around.

For now its time for lunch and kidtime then back out at 1...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Well she did it!! Wife got her first deer! A fork horn buck! One shot, One kill baby! I put the modifed choke in Special K's 20 ga and it still shot like crap....at the target. So I get out the daughters .410 for her to use instead. We sat on post by the river yesterday morning, cold, wet and freezing wind out of the NW. She toughed it out until 8:30 and her toes got really cold so we head back to the truck to warm up. (We only saw one little buck running out of range) I wasn't to keen on the idea of her shooting a deer with a .410 but at this point I didn't know what to do. Anyway we get back to the truck and I get this bright idea that we should just lean the guns against the bumper in case a buck comes running by (which has happened numerous times in the pasture we were sitting in) and then we can hop out and shoot it right? Well we sit there for awhile trying to warm up. I'm deep in thought trying to figure out how and where I can get her a shot at a deer and she asks "what time are we supposed to meet the rest of the party?" I snap out of the stratedgy trance I'm in and say "right now" and shift the truck into gear and scrrchhhh crunch. OMG THE GUNS! We jump out and my 12 ga is fine but the .410 barrel now resembles a banana. eek mad blush It was just a cheap .22/.410 combo single shot but I'm still so PO'd at myself for being so stupid. Well anyway, we go back to my unc's shop and organize a drive with the rest of the guys. She is now carrying her 1187. We don't see anything but I notice alot of fresh tracks near a fence line bordering some really thick non accessible land. I tell Karen that I know where were sitting tonight. We went back to that spot at 4:15. Sat down on a hill side looking at the fence and the dense brush behind it for about two minutes and this buck jumps the fence and I tell Karen "okay get ready here he comes" She aims and I say "ok now..take 'em" She says "are you #$%!ing serious?" I kinda chuckle and say "yeah...take 'em!" BLAM! Mule kick. I say "you got him! She says "I did???" laugh We high five and I tell her you hit him a little high so lets give him some time. Then two does jump the fence. Then a big bodied 6 point. I pull up, aim and BANG FLOP! We find her deer 75 yards from where she shot it and I begin gutting two bucks we shot within 5 minutes of each other! She is so happy and I couldn't be more proud of her! Way to go honey!!! Woooo hoooooo!!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good Luck Wabo! 160"?! That is a pig of a deer. Hope you get him!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Rooster,

Way to go on those deer!!!!! Congrats to you and the wife!!! Sorry to hear about the gun but WOW what a story you'll have to share with others together telling it now!!! Great Job!!!!

Ok I better get busy and back out there.

Page 83 of 1,842 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.