C
ccd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
great concept, but the enviro nazis and the dhimmicrat controlled congress, both of which are dedicated to destroying America's economy, will never let this see the light of day.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't understand how France,China & others can safely make new plants & we can't?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
because they do not have a hoard of enviro nazis blocking everything, and their government is in favor of nuke power.
Can't be any simpler than that.

Sam......

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
France also relies on standard reactor designs. Every US reactor is a one off.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the UK, disposal of the waste is the major stumbling block. Unlike the US, China, Canada ect, we don't have any true wilderness or uninhabited areas where waste could be stored well away from people.

As our present generation of nuclear reactors come to the end of their working lives, its become apparent the cost of decommissioning them is far more expensive than building them and all these costs need to be factored into where they are viable or not..These additional costs include the search for a long term storage site.

The best idea so far is a deep subterranean undersea depository, but no one is really sure about all the potential problems especially for the relatively small proportion of very highly radioactive wastes as this tends to "erode" most times of container over time..

BTW, the Russians have had miniature nuclear reactor in service for years and they are often used to power remote/isolated military/government installations such as unmanned weather or radar sites...

Regards,

Peter

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
China and safe reactors may be like saying Russia and safe reactors. Don't ever depend on safety in a culture that centers around bribes.

But Europe has a good history, and we have a good history. But don't worry, the high prices you pay now will help usher in new alternative energy sources. It's a Patriotic thing to pay more for energy!

frown

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They can't. I have worked in the electrical power industry for over 40 years & everyone I know predicted an energy shortage when Congress prohibited new nuclear reactors for power generation. Guess when most of the hardware is being manufactured? Japan, Germany, & France are the leaders. GE & Westinghouse long ago shut down & sold off these businesses.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was wondering just how big physically the reactors are on an aircraft carrier or sub?

These seem to be a fairly well understood technology, but I have no idea how similar the design is to land based reactors...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E
I was wondering just how big physically the reactors are on an aircraft carrier or sub?

These seem to be a fairly well understood technology, but I have no idea how similar the design is to land based reactors...

They are similar size to those discussed in the article. The technology is very similar to the existing land based reactors, in fact the Navy pioneered pressurized water reactors. The new small reactor designs are more evolutionary, for various reasons, mostly reasons of simplicity and passive safety features. But there's no TECHNICAL reasons they can't be licensed in the US.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Disposal of waste is (or would be) fairly simple, safe and absolutely permanent. You need only drop the shipping containers into a deep-sea subduction zone where a continental plate is diving under another (such as off Chile or even California). The containers would ride the plate right down into the earth's mantle and eventually melt back to where they came from: the Earth's interior.

It's called recycling.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
No technical reasons, ask any enviro nut why they are against nuke power. The first thing they will bring up are chernoble and three mile island and that will be the end of the discussion. Trust me been there and done that. They have built in blinders to anything that makes sense.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
That's outstanding news. And the fact that it ecomically harms those Middle Eastern tyrants doesn't bother me one bit.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
As a retired scientist, I am constantly amazed at the ignorance surrounding nuclear plants. As a matter of fact, MOST people have been poisoned by the enviro-nazis to the point where they believe just being exposed to radiation causes an object to be radioactive and emit dangerous emissions. Gonna take a lot of good education to overcome our ignorance, and the liberals are not about to let truth conquer false indoctrination.

Wayne

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You're right, Wayne. Those are same people who believe we're "spending money in space" and that people are making the Earth warmer. They also think hunting is evil, eating meat is worse and that if we just Nature take its course, everything would be nirvana.

Uh huh.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I would be more worried about security with many reactors scattered about. The article says they are buried but I wonder how long it would take to get to one of them with a backhoe or a drilling rig.

I am for nuclear power but I think I would prefer a big central( and well secured) plants.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's an old idea from the '50s and well understood, and can use some isotopes extracted during conventional fuel reprocessing - waste. May (or may not) be a good idea but likely politically dead, in this country at least. Think of, "Dozens of trucks hauling highly radioactive nuclear waste through our cities and burying it in our neighborhoods." Actually one of the better fuels seems to be an isotope of plutonium (not suitable for weapons IIRC) and that word kills the deal right there.

Pity.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by noKnees
I would be more worried about security with many reactors scattered about. The article says they are buried but I wonder how long it would take to get to one of them with a backhoe or a drilling rig.

I am for nuclear power but I think I would prefer a big central( and well secured) plants.

Small plants will require security as well, just not as many people probably. If they require a similar size force to a baseload plant, any economical feasibility probably goes away.

A backhoe or drilling rig has no chance of penetrating even the small plants. We're still talking reinforced concrete structures here. You'd need some heavy lifting equipment, and a good bit of time, to get at the reactors. Assuming you do, which is an awful big assumption, then what you have is non-proliferation grade fuel, so you really didn't accomplish much.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If & when licenses are ever issued & law suites dismissed the electric utilities will build large plants. Its far more economical with the step up transformers & other generation equipment required. A small underground nuclear reactor for power gen. may make sense for those few cities in remote areas of the US.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of the small plants will be built outside of the US, but the builders (and potential buyers) want the plants licensed in the US first as that establishes a pedigree that is the gold standard around the world.

Remote communities will be a smaller market that remote mining, petrochemical, and desalination facilities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

291 members (280shooter, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1minute, 117LBS, 44 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,321
Posts18,505,838
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.