24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Interesting, so? verdict? Is there tollerance for the new hunter you've just met?

And a side note, look at the antlers on that buck. It's how I think of bucks looking as I started my hunting off on the MN iron range. That's just how they look when growing off those unaltered woods with no ag land to help supliment antler growth, let alone food plots with antler growth enhancements etc... that's a real buck in my book. Now take a look at the bucks that guys like Steelhead posts here from up in AK, very similar if you ask me.

Very nice, congrats.

Dave

It was better than a couple of years ago when I was sitting in my stand that had been up for a week. Along came sunup and I saw a guy pretty close to me ascending a tree in a climber stand. He bitched and swore at me until I could make him understand that from the timeline he was providing my stand was up the day before when he picked out his spot.

He was nice enough and removed his stand without us asking. He asked about spots to put his stand next year without interfering with other groups. He was open to suggestion and help about dressing his deer. In our area we can shoot up to 5 deer. He filled his tag and wasn't going to buy any additional so he took off. Seemed like he had been hunting before but just needed a bit more experience and help. He needs to get a more suitable knife.

I understand how it is on state land. Prior to the season you do not see any of the other parties or individuals planning on hunting an area. It is impossible to know who and how many will be in the woods. We all kind of have our areas staked out but how do you know until opener when you can actually talk to guys. It'll be better for him next year now that he has been able to gather a bit of intel.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
hardH20,

Nice buck. That looks like the bucks we get up on the iron range. Big ol bodies, nice heavy racks. Nice buck. Cool story.

The "see you next year" cracked me up.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
Thanks, The b-i-l has shot quite a few deer off that stand. It was nice that the new guy got one as well and it didn't mess up the opener for either of them.

That was one heavy deer. The rack was decent not real big but not real small. Very nice.

I was a bit saddened that I couldn't track down the spike I shot in the waning hours of the opener. The next morning the signs were obliterated by a dusting of snow. Later I heard the racket of a murder of crows. I assume that the poor guy had become part of the circle of life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D-3 and then I'm off the grid for eleven days. Can't think of much else right now.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Clan Gaviidae

Hunters: 7 ( GE, Big Drift, Peaches + 4 "seasoned citizens" )

Deer taken: 10 (4 small bucks, 4 does, 2 fawns)

Clean misses: 2 (Bwana Kahuna, Peaches)

Wounded/lost: 1 (GE: but I'm gonna find her damnnit!)

Deer we passed on: a few ... various reasons (obvious fawns, bad opportunity on a runner, etc.)

Group thoughts/opinions so far: Numbers seen slightly below average. Our woods are mostly adjoining soybeans with significant corn planted within 2 miles in either direction. Due to late fall moisture, all the corn and half the beans are still standing. The group across the river kicked the sheets out of dem by pushing standing corn and blocking exits to the river on Saturday. We picked up 4 sitting on the field edges Friday afternoon, one sitting Saturday morning. 3 by the pushers while group semi still hunting Saturday afternoon and 2 more targets of opportunity while trying to track a cripple on Sunday.

The deer we have taken have been weak for head gear but are incredibly fat corn/bean fed deer. Cutting accidents while field dressing have indicated they are getting to the corn to eat but some were coming back to the woods for bed/frolicking.

We really wanted to be more patient/selective with the bucks BUT time pressure (Doecamper is about to drop a fawn for me) and cold/windy weather required pushing to keep the "seasoned ones" from getting too chilled.

IIRC there are still one buck and 3 doe tags to fill. That should be eminently doable IF the neighbors get their corn off OR NoDak Game and Fish extends the season due to crop harvest/weather factors.

GE

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2 Deer
1 immature bull moose..

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Gun season opened on 1 Nov. 8 hunters in camp both weekends basically. Seeing on average about 6 does and 2 bucks per outing.
Have seen only mid sized 8s and 9s so far, nothing really old, except one 8 that got away from me as I was trying to size him up vs his body.

Meat time comes later in season. And I don't really care if I kill a good buck ever anyway. Its just fun. The 32-20 will really be fun with the heat gets on the does and cull bucks....

appx 45 more days to go and then an extended doe season into Feb....so no rush.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I need to hunt where you guys are hunting. . .

Between where we hunt in northern New York and Vermont, it seems im greatly under gunned!!!

Congrats guys!

FMP

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just checked the calender, I've been out 7 times in the 12 days our season has been open. And I'm off until Monday, so the rest of this week looks good with a cold front coming.

Bucks seen-At least 6 different bucks, seen multiple times. A couple of good shooters, but nothing worth ending my season over so soon.
Does seen-Seems like a friggin 100, we're just trippin over them.
So shooting yet, just watching.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Vernonia ORE
Days hunted 26
deer dead 0
deer seen 12 or so
1 missed
Now there is deer in my yard. And one is a nice 3 pt

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
We still got about 9 days 12 and 30 minutes before we get the rifles out in bama

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
happy berf day!
shoot da yard deer grin

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Puget Sound foothills - Washington
Hunters: me
Days hunted: 7 (1/2 days only)
Deer taken: 1 blacktail buck (small 2 point, last day of season)
Deer seen: just the one buck, and about 15 doe/youngsters
Misses : none
Wounded/lost: none
Deer passed on: none

Thoughts: weather was way too nice the entire season in my area, except for 2 split days. Hardly any deer movement or sign except for those days. Need some rain & wind for these blacktails to start moving. Rut was just starting when the seasn ended. Naturally, the next day while taking my deer to the processors, saw a giant 3 point with a doe at the edge of Redmond (45,000 pop.) by a creek.

[Linked Image][/img]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Cedar Hammock Hunt Club
Hunter - ME
Bow - Hog/lost, recovered next day frown

Muzzloader - (1) Spike buck
(1) Hangfire on a Cowhorn Spike frown

Rifle - Just opened (stay tuned)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tick Ridge hunt club, just inside the Tennessee line of I 65.

Deer killed: 20 does

Hunters: 5

Deer seen: Well of 100. Saw 15+ one evening.

Gun season starts on the 22nd and lots will fall then. Is this a great place or what? :-)

TM

Last edited by travelingman1; 11/12/08.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My son and I hunted from the house for blacktails.

We hunted the opening weekend together......no luck. I hunted a few more days and on that Thursday, I scored a respectable buck (one buck per year here). 2 bucks seen by my son for a split second on opening mornin', no shots fired but the one on my buck.

25-06
110gr. AB
305 yards
Sako 75

Late season starts tomorrow for 4 days. My son might get one day this weekend to hunt. I'm there for him if he can get away. Who says owning your own business is a piece of cake...he sure doesn't.

Continued good luck to those with huntin' seasons left and congrats to all that went afield this year.

Last edited by magnumb; 11/12/08.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Congrats! Nice blacktail. I know what you mean about the weather, but figure they gotta get around and feed sometime.

I remember back many years ago where Redmond only had a few hundred people in it (I graduated from Bellevue HS, waaaaaaay back when).

What area (not specifically......grin) and what cartridge, bullet, distance, etc.?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hunters in camp: 8

Deer seen: 8

Deer harvested: 1

Shots missed: 2 at the same doe by yours truly

Conditions: great if you like hunting in a Klondike Hurricane. The wind blew so hard Saturday, that dead stuff was falling out of the trees-'never had to wear a hardhat to feel safe in the woods before!

Wolves seen/heard: too freekin' many. 'Hope the locals reinstitue the Shoot, Shovel and Shut Up policy again.

Looking forward to giving it another go and also for muzzleloader season. 'Need to attone for my poor marksmanship.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This slow-ass horse kicked a Montucky whitetail square in the head.
I haven't been deer hunting all year.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SamOlson; 11/12/08. Reason: not my horse
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hunted sunup 'til sundown Sat. thru today in Sherburne Co. I passed on 2 does.
5 hunters in camp.
No shots taken, 4 deer total seen.
Trail cameras are showing deer every night. This moon has them nocturnal, I belive. Cold and windy. Sat. and Sun. I watched a scrape dripper swing around in a circle all day long. It's tough. But it's just a matter of time....

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 10ring1, 270cowboy, 44 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.