-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a bad habit of keeping my kids out of school to go hunting or fishing with me, as long as the grades are there. My daughter was sick this past weekend and missed out on the 2-day youth season. She didn't have much going on today at school (according to her)and really liked my idea of staying out to go hunting with me.

Right off the bat we had the biggest buck that I've seen all year broadside @ 150 yards. In low light, I could see him clearly, but she couldn't get on him..and he walked. She got all over me for not shooting him, but that's not why we were there.

She had a quick chance at a doe soon after, but forgot to take the safety off and it got a pass as well. She then got mad at me for not telling her to take her safety off. Everything up to this point was apparently my fault.

At 8:30 we looked to our west and saw a buck with his horns up in a licking branch, workin a scrape. I have limited her shooting to about 125 yards, but he was broadside, and with not a breath of wind blowing, I gave her the go-ahead on the close to 200 yard shot. At the shot he flinched and ran hard to the timber, giving me every indication of being hit. 20 minutes and 50 yards later, we were both all smiles...

[Linked Image]

It was one of the greatest morning I have ever spent in a stand. We talked about everything except going back to school (bad subject for her) and boys (bad subject for me).

Back at the camp, I asked her what she thought about staying home from school to go huntin with me...

[Linked Image]

Indecision is the key to flexibility..
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Awsome!!!

Great story, and great smiles on both of you. It was always a big deal to me to miss school to hunt. I dreaded asking mom to let me do it...but she always did.

Congrats to you both.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well done!! Congrats.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very cool, the way it should be.

"Its a Model 70 thing, you probably wouldn't understand!"

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other.
-Ronald Reagan

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
very cool.

tell her good job from us guys at the camp fire.

Something clever here.

IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Apparently her being able to hit it was not your fault.

(I love it with my boys when the screw ups are my fault and their successes are the result of their natural talent, and I was irrelevant.)

Nicely done.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. sosowingshooter;
Thank you for sharing the story and fine photos. Please send along congratulations to your daughter for shooting that fine & tasty looking buck.

I�d like to send a tip of my hat your way for having the perception to see what is really important in your daughter�s life and for spending the time to take her hunting. Well done sir!

As you mentioned when you spoke about the talk you had with her on stand, the time spent afield with our children can open up a multitude of possibilities - for those willing to put in the effort.

This sort of story makes my entire day, so thanks again.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love it. Way to go dad for taking the time.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Absolutely wonderful! My dad was never a hunter, but 1 or 2 times a year he would pull me from class and we�d go fishing. I was never prouder, as I don't recall anyone else�s dad ever doing that. I�m sure that will be a significant and well remembered event for both of you. Great that you have pictures too. 1Minute

1Minute
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Awesome story! My daughter and I are headed out for youth weekend tomorrow evening - it should be great fun!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats to the little lady, well done.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great buck and should be delicious. A tradition I hope to start with my daughter.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My son has missed like 6 days of school total since Kindergarten, and he is in the 9th grade now... 3 of those days were trips to Grandma's for Thanksgiving...

We'd never think of missing a day of school around here to go hunting...

yet on the other end, I applaud a story like this...

there is nothing really that they would be missing for a day or two.... just strong attendence etc is really important to my son..and I am proud of him for it.. so I back him up...

of course his friend that goes out hunting with us... he'd be happy if his folks would let him miss school the entire hunting season...

you have to know this kid to fully appreciate it...

he was bragging to me... I'm getting better at school.. it got suspended for 3 days last week for fighting, and this time I wasn't the one who started it!!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (160user, 204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,842
Posts18,496,856
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.