Print Thread
Hop To
P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Rick, could you please kill the tread on ex-senator bob kerry. I think everyone but jayh is tired of it. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Tom:<P>You're right. It's almost time. I'm just letting to sit to see if anything positive is ready to happen. A guy can hope, anyway.<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I agree Rick, wish I had never gotten involved. But my mouth (see keyboard) sometimes gets way ahead of my brain.<BR>Have a great day.<P>------------------<BR><B>T LEE</B><BR>Remember: There is no such thing as OVERKILL. Just a generous margin of SAFETY! <P><B>APATHY!.........Freedoms greatest enemy!</B>

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Rick I agree with the other folks, it's sad but true, the Kerry thread should go away, not to silence a dissenting voice but stop the maliciouse use of that voice.<P>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amen, the game ain't worth the candle.<BR>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's too bad that thread was pushed into absurdity by a troll. It really was a good topic that warranted serious discussion. No one believes targeting non-combatant civilians is proper, but what about civilian "combatants"--ie, collaboraters, spies, informants, saboteurs, etc. Anytime a civilan does the above, he/she becomes a combatant and fair game. In Vietnam it got very fuzzy. What do you do when the VC strap explosives on a 10 yr old's back and sends him into a bunch of GIs? Crud, many of the VC WERE children. The big questions in my mind: <P>- Did Kerry KNOW he was killing non-combatant civilians?<BR>- Were these civilians truly non-combatants?<BR>- Did these civilians willingly assit the VC?<BR>- Was there any danger to Kerry's team if they didn't shoot those civilians?<P>War is always confusing. It's never the clear-cut "us vs them" we all expect to see. My critera is this--if a soldier does his best to target only combatants, that's all we can ask. As tragic as it is, some collateral damage is acceptable. We in the US Military try our best to minimize civilian causalties, but we fully understand there will always be some. War is hell. War is terrible, but it is not the most terrible thing.<P>Blaine

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AFP:<BR><B>It really was a good topic that warranted serious discussion.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yup, but it went down the sewage pipe pretty fast. I'd say kill it - it achieves nothing.<P>-- Mats

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Yea... Kill It! [Linked Image]

Jester/Alfa 99Gang
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick:<P>As is not too unusual around this fire, I have a different view. I think it would be counterproductive to start killing whole threads, just because one or two posters crossed "our" line of civility. The best way to handle it is for everyone to ignore the offenders, but, living in the real world, and having seen this kind of thing before, that never works, someone always has to have the last, last, final, ultimate word.<P>My suggestion is to handle it "off the books" so to speak, if the offenders are really nasty, suspend their posting priviledges or whatever seems reasonable to you. <P>My real suggestion is more to the other members of this fire, if someone crosses the line, just state that you are going to ignore their posts, and do it. Or do it without stating it, very few people will continue for long without feedback. I enjoy the give and take of civil discussions and find that while it is entirely possible to disagree without being disagreeable, some people are incapable of maintaining a logical, civil, discussion and resort to ad hominem attacks as a futile effort to support their arguments. Just my 1/50th of a dollar's worth. CAT

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (222Sako, 2500HD, 219DW, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1badf350, 160user, 46 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,387
Posts18,506,794
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.