Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#258741 02/26/04
3030Man Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have see in print that the best dies go in this order.
Wilson,Redding, Forster, RCBS, and the others as battling it out for the the other positions. No real scientific evaluation that I have seen has ever done a study on the issue. Example: Best steel, tightest tolerances and consumer feed back. Lee states that there dies are the tightest tolarences in the industry. Question for the forum. Does anyone know of a study anywhere that has tested the tolarences, steels used and wear quality of reloading dies? Consumer reposts or anyone ?

30-30 Man

HR IC

#258742 02/26/04
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I havent seen any studies or at least cant recall any. But I exclusively use redding dies. I demand precision from my loads and redding has delivered. I used nickel plated brass for a while, and I did not find any damage to the dies. Their service is also second to none. Never had any problems there either. My use for the service has been tech stuff and help setting up their neck bushing dies. Have no experience with the wilsons but as long as I keep getting the kind of service that I have received from redding, I see no reason to switch.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
#258743 02/26/04
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's all mostly subjective and anecdotal. I've used all of them and for one reason or another I've had to send at least one to each and every manufacturer. Many times the problem isn't the die maker but mis-mating of the die and chamber. That isn't necessarily the die maker's fault but many times they are blamed. Much preference is given to exterior appearance as well. It would be very hard to establish a set of parameters to enable impartial evaluation, and you would still have the problem of mating a die to the chamber coupled with possibly poor reloading practice.

Much of my evaluationis is exterior appearance and batting average on dies that work without much fuss. For isntance, I just bought an RCBS set that was as perfect a match to a chamber as anyone could ask for. The biggest problem with it was way too much slop in the expander screw that made centering the expander difficult. Forster and Redding are both much better for this with closer fitting threads, and Hornady is better than most because of their expander system, which some hate. How could you EVER establish parameters?

Used to be bobski, member since '01
#258744 02/27/04
RSY Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's largely subjective (i.e. external appearance), in most cases. But, in one case there is a true difference that can be cited: traditional sizing dies.

In this case, I go with the Forsters whenever possible due to how they position the expander high up on the stem. I'm a firm believer that this feature really does help in keeping necks concentric and avoiding stretching the case on the upstroke.

RSY

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10gaugeman, 2500HD, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 3,422 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,704
Posts18,534,752
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.