-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here's a couple of pictures of a 165 gr. Interbond I used last Jan. to take a whitetail doe. These are loaded in my .30-06 to about 2840 fps. The doe was about 75 yards away. My aim was off and I hit her higher than I wanted. The bullet took out about 6 inches of spine and ended up in the backstrap. She was DRT.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This bullet has been very accurate in my pre-'64 model 70. I prefer it over the Accubond for no other reason than I've been able to get better accuracy out of it. I never weighed it, but I don't really need to. All I need to know is that it worked great.

Weiners are health food - My dad
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice pics. I have never been able to recover an IB. They keep exiting which is what I prefer anyway.

RH

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I punched 2 antelope does with a 165 Interbond out of my 308 Norma this year. They were about 150 yards out, went thru both and kept going. The second doe had a big entry and exit wound, would have liked to have found that bullet.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've recovered bullets from the last two deer I've seen killed, one by me and one by my son. Prior to that, going back some 30+ years, I had recovered only one. Go figure. Could be that up until the time I started handloading about 8 years ago (and including the first two or three years of that), I used the Nosler Partition almost exclusively.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
That is great performance. But next time, try to salvage the back strap. grin

That's the best part!!

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It seems to me, judging from the posts that penetration is lacking due to violent expansion..I am sure it is enough penetration for deer, but I like two holes in everything I shoot, so I am wondering if this bullet does not suffer the same weakness as the Swift A-Frame and a few other bonded core bullets in that they tend to come to rest on the off side skin..but with that you do get some pretty bullets recovered and photographed.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
But you have to consider that instead of contacting soft tissue, this bullet traveled mostly through bone (diagonally through the spine) before lodging in the backstrap. So I think it was a pretty good test for any bullet.

The other Interbonds I've used to take deer with, BTW, exited just fine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my similar post, I used a 150 gr Interbond for deer in a .300 mag and hit the deer at 100 yards or a touch further - I'm sure a 165 or 180 probably would have exited if that is what you wish.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This bullet looks more like the non bonded Interlock.

Last edited by Norwegian; 11/23/08.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yes because the core and jacket seperated

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Perhaps you are right, but when I compare the pictures with a Interbond bullet I'am holding in my hand I wonder where is the typical Interbond boattail in picture nr 2 ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
how a recovered interbond should look, 150 grain interbond and 150 SST...can you guess which is which

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/357905/site_id/1#import

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SAKO75; 11/24/08.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by atkinson
It seems to me, judging from the posts that penetration is lacking due to violent expansion..I am sure it is enough penetration for deer, but I like two holes in everything I shoot, so I am wondering if this bullet does not suffer the same weakness as the Swift A-Frame and a few other bonded core bullets in that they tend to come to rest on the off side skin..but with that you do get some pretty bullets recovered and photographed.

I think you may be on to something. I shot 5 deer with the 165 gr. IB last year. All were less than 75 yards. I recovered 2 bullets under the hide. Both bullets held together; the bonding process is short of amazing, and the expansion was complete, but I should have not recovered those bullets. I'm avg. 2850 over my chrono.

GB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GB- Its because of the wide frontal expansion that the IB's achieve.. they dont lose as much weight as the accubonds and dont penetrate as far but they do nuff damage...

― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Norwegian
This bullet looks more like the non bonded Interlock.

Might look that way, but the box they came in is clearly labeled "Interbond". They've got the red plastic tip and no cannelure (like the SST). The one pictured is from a batch I bought when the Interbond first came out. Maybe they've improved the bonding process since then. If so then I suspect they're even better now.

BTW I finally got around to weighing the bullet. It weighs in at 129.8 grs which is 78.7% weight retention. I'd say that's pretty good after having gone through so much bone.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Delta, look at my pic how the lead never peeled away from the copper jacket above compared to the sst, yours looks like an SST but i believe you

― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yea, I noticed that. I've got SST's on hand as well as the regular spire point Interlock. The one pictured in my original post is definitely NOT either one of those. I think Hornady must have tweaked the Interbond after initially introducing it. Another difference I've noticed is that the Interbonds I've purchased recently have a boat tail base whereas the first ones I bought (which includes the one above) have a flat base.

In any event, I like this bullet a lot. I haven't noticed any difference in how the newer ones shoot versus the older ones. They both shoot great in my .30-06. Gonna try them in a couple more rifles next year I think.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

I think you may be on to something. I shot 5 deer with the 165 gr. IB last year. All were less than 75 yards. I recovered 2 bullets under the hide. Both bullets held together; the bonding process is short of amazing, and the expansion was complete, but I should have not recovered those bullets.

GB

Why?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks to me like the Interbonds did a fine job. I can understand Ray's desire to see exit wounds because he spends a lot of time hunting dangerous game,where long angling shots at stuff like cape buffalo are common place as they take the first hit and then go away;and hunting as he does in the Idaho elk jungles,where you take long angling shots at chunks of elk, or you get nothing.

But by the time those Interbonds got to the off-side hide, they had done as much damage as they were going to do,and exiting was not going to add one bit to their lethal effect.Not uncommon for bullets to stop against the offside hide(even the simply amazing Barnes X-types)because by the time it passes through shoulder muscle, hide, internals,etc, it is pretty well spent;and the same broad frontal area that created the havoc internally(and that actually killed the animal)causes the hide to stretch and holds the bullet.

It ain't exits that kill;it's what the bullet does BEFORE the exit that counts.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 204guy, 57 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,506
Posts18,509,299
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.