-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
was out of K'garten for the day and at my grandparents house terroizing either them, or any living thing foolish to come into their yard or looking longingly at the pasture and woods behind their house where i was forbidden to go by myself

just me and Gram there IIRC, Pops came home pretty soon and the TV was on.

I'd just turned 5 so recall is sketchy, what I remember most is Oswald getting taken out by Ruby, seems to me (again IIRC) that happened on live TV.

can some of you guys with a few years on me fill in the blanks and let me know if I'm remembering that correctly?

the other strong memory I have is the empty horse in the funeral procession and jr. saluting his dad's casket

tis amazing to me how long our gov't has been feeding the masses bullchit and what really chaps my azz is just how stupid they think we are.

whether it be Ruby was just an angry heartsick patriot (at that time was the spin IIRC ) or stupid stuff that doesn't matter like "I didn't inhale" or important stuff "these businesses are too big to allow them to fail"

they pour BS out by the gallons and just expect us to swallow

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
oh and please protect Barack Obama

Ken lays out precisely how premature death shoots personal stock up.

who would even remember or bring up Marilyn Monroe if not for her early death?

B grade actress that tried to imitate a porcupine, dime a dozen unless tragedy befalls.

we'll never know, but I sincerely doubt JFK would be remembered so fondly if he'd had to implement his vision

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am not a fan of Obama just like many of you. But, I do not wish a tradgedy on him, his family or our nation like the one that happened 45 years ago. If Obama proves to be unworthy, we can vote him out. Until then, It's my hope and prayers he can bring guidence, leadership and prosperity back to our country. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure if we saw Ruby live because we didn't have 24 hour TV news coverage. We did see footage of it over and over.

I also believe the horse in the funeral cortege was named 'Blackjack' and the boots were backward in the stirrups.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tks 2 dogs

can anyone else opine upon Oswald getting taken out live?

it seems to me anything newsworthy was preempting regular programming and I was thinking Oswalds walk was live TV, maybe not, but I do remember watching it more than once too, so 2 dogs may be correct.

what a country!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got a lot of flak from my compadres for hoping that Clinton's impeachment trial would not remove him from office.

My reasoning was that such removal would martyr, canonize, and deify him forever � whereas completion of his term and his behavior afterward would record him in history in mainly uncomplimentary terms. And even given the Demoncrat hatred that his trial generated, I can not imagine the extent of their fury if he'd been removed from office in debatable, purely partisan "disgrace."

Yes, 1akhunter, Ruby shot Oswald on live TV.

Yes, kwg, the boots were backward in the stirrups. I don't remember ever hearing the horse's name.

I remember how touching JFK's kids were at his funeral, and my heart is heavy that John John died so young. He seemed to be a pretty good kid. Never shared in the national crush on Jacquie, so I don't grieve over her like so many do. (I remember her as a semiskilled photographer in DC when she and Jack were still single. Wondered then why so many were gaga over her.)

I remember how many of us chuckled at news reports that a "temporary eternal flame" had to be installed at JFK's Arlington grave pending the installation of the "permanent eternal flame."

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was in the mess hall when they called us to attention and made the announcement.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was warm in mama's womb.Maybe the size of a thumb.Was born in May 1964.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Twodogs,

I think Adak was a bit further east in the chain... Some of our flights held over there in bad weather. Bad weatehr meant near zero visibility from either fog or white-out snow. On a good day we could see Atu and Agatu, IIRC.

1B

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was working for Cutler Hammer in Richmond, Va., fresh out of college, & was involved in motor controls for the Polaris Subs. I was in the Army Reserves & we were placed on alert but, not activated. The office closed on the day of the funeral & A college buddy & I went fishing that morning. We caught a lot of big crappies & I lost a very nice Large mouth Bass on A Mepps Spinner. We listened to some of the proceedings on the car radio & watched the actual funeral on B&W TV when we arrived home. It was a very sad day for Americans.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1B
Twodogs,

I think Adak was a bit further east in the chain... Some of our flights held over there in bad weather. Bad weatehr meant near zero visibility from either fog or white-out snow. On a good day we could see Atu and Agatu, IIRC.

1B

Shemya is about 425 miles west of Adak. Both legendary for crappy weather that happens quickly.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Blackjack is correct, if my memory serves. The reversed cavalry boots signified a fallen leader.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
can anyone else opine upon Oswald getting taken out live?

I believe that he was shot on live TV. I didn't see it live, though. But I did see the news film of it over and over and over later.

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
� can anyone else opine upon Oswald getting taken out live? �

That incident may be the first inspiration for the "sifter" delay that TV news now inserts between their in-coming and out-going news � to give 'em time to delete gore and insert bleeps, to spare our oh, so delicate sensibilities.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe everyone in the DFW area would have had access to it on live, local TV. Outside that area, I'm not too sure.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My family, my folks, and I saw it live from several states away from Dallas.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ken,

Many websites makes the same assertion. Most of them claim that "millions watched" on live TV.

Oh well, I got the horse's name and the orientation of the boots correct just from memory. However, the horse may have been named "Black Jack", not "Blackjack".

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yeah and ole Jack was just feelin patriotic!

interesting times those were

but I'd say we live in interesting times now too

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I remember JFK's death like it was yesterday. I was 27 years old, married, with 4 children on November 22, 1963 and at work around noon or so when the news came out.

I walked out of my business and up the block to 3rd Street and Main Street, the center of Dayton, Ohio. There was more than the usual crowd there... many had a blank stare on their tear-stained faces... many women crying and sobbing... many men with an angry look on their faces were staring straight ahead or had their heads down in sorrow.

There was little noise and no talking... everyone was just "silent". There was a general feeling of "hopelessness" or "emptiness"... the silence was erie. Even the traffic didn't seem to make much noise.

All of America was shaken !~!~!

A few days later, on Sunday... I was watching TV while my wife and kids were at church. I saw Jack Ruby shoot Oswald in the gut on live TV... then a lot of confusion ensued. I felt "good" that Oswald got shot and was happy when he died, but that created a situation wherein we never really found out if Osward acted alone or with others in a plot to kill President Kennedy since Oswald got killed and Jack Ruby was killed a short time later.

I always kinda wondered if Vice-President Lyndon B. Johnson didn't have something to do with it since he was a "rough & tumble" politician and was very ambitious at the time... definitely a man who wanted to be President and Kennedy's death made it so.

But... apparently, I was the ONLY person in the USA who considered that Johnson might have been somehow "involved" since I never heard that "theory" advanced by anyone else.

It was also "talked" about the Soviet Union might be behind Kennedy's death since Oswald had, at one time, defected to the USSR, but the USSR had sent him packing back to the USA. However, Oswald was over there for a few years and I always wondered if he wasn't a Soviet spy sent back here to kill Kennedy since his life seemed to be going no where (as it was later found).

I didn't vote for Kennedy, but he was doing a fairly good job as President and I probably would have voted for him if he had live to run again.

Moving forward 45 years... I didn't vote for Obama either... BUT I'm concerned about his anti-gun "attitude", but now that he's gotten the Presidency, I'm willing to give him a chance to see what he can do about the mess he's inherited... and it really IS a HUGE MESS!!!

Let's just hope & pray that some "goofy" fool doesn't shoot him simply because he's black... that's the LAST THING we need at this point !~!~!

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Was in Iceland flying the Barrier in an EC-121K Super Connie protecting the world from the Reds.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,428
Posts18,507,499
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.