-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Global Warming", per se, is a proven reality that has occured hundreds of times in Earth's geologic history, as has "Global Cooling".

The issue at hand is whether or not the recorded trends of the past 50 years or so are anthropogenic, and whether or not we should attempt to do something to modify the trend.

My perception is that the trends are not primarily human-caused, and that anything we do solely to try to change worldwide climatic trends is just as likely to have unintended negative consequences as to have positive consequences. It is also just possible that we have passed the warming crest and are entering a period of cooling -- wonder how long it will take certain parties to begin taking credit for that whistle?

I do believe we should use clean energy, limit environmental contamination, and live simpler lifestyles. But that's common sense, not reaction to MSM hysteria and political agendas.

But the fact is, there is no "science" in the truly scientific sense to determine anything about Earth's climate in the future...because there is no "control" to measure effects against. Mostly, they're just guessing...which is why they don't really know if it's going to rain next Tuesday, let alone what the temperature will be in 20 years.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I would say that there is a very good possibility of RAIN next Tuesday !!!!!

But this fall is allot warmer than the last 2 ... this time last year and the year before I was shoveling deep snow ...

In fact last Tuesday it was like spring in Ktown with some of our late Roses trying to bloom !!!!

And it's raining to the mountain tops today on the Island.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes...and last August the high temp was about 62 degrees...

BTW the weather guessers say it won't rain on Tuesday grin.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
What part of the cycle are we in?

Well, the greens have to decide if we are in a colder or warmer cycle, then they will explain to you in no incomprehnsible logic and terms that we are warmer or colder. Got that!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
BTW the weather guessers say it won't rain on Tuesday .

Then maybe we will have some of that Global Warming Snow ..... cry

IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by muledeer
"Global Warming", per se, is a proven reality that has occured hundreds of times in Earth's geologic history, as has "Global Cooling".

The issue at hand is whether or not the recorded trends of the past 50 years or so are anthropogenic, and whether or not we should attempt to do something to modify the trend.

My perception is that the trends are not primarily human-caused, and that anything we do solely to try to change worldwide climatic trends is just as likely to have unintended negative consequences as to have positive consequences. It is also just possible that we have passed the warming crest and are entering a period of cooling -- wonder how long it will take certain parties to begin taking credit for that whistle?

I do believe we should use clean energy, limit environmental contamination, and live simpler lifestyles. But that's common sense, not reaction to MSM hysteria and political agendas.

But the fact is, there is no "science" in the truly scientific sense to determine anything about Earth's climate in the future...because there is no "control" to measure effects against. Mostly, they're just guessing...which is why they don't really know if it's going to rain next Tuesday, let alone what the temperature will be in 20 years.

Dennis

Agree completely. We havent been using high tech equipment to analyze weather for very long, so we dont have a large enough sample size to make accurate assessments of our climate. We dont know how large of a role variance plays in the data we have collected, yet.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ropes

But this fall is allot warmer than the last 2 ... this time last year and the year before I was shoveling deep snow ...

In fact last Tuesday it was like spring in Ktown with some of our late Roses trying to bloom !!!!

And it's raining to the mountain tops today on the Island.

Not at all the same as we've had. In fact, after the first snows began to fall in early October (or was it late September?), we've yet to get a warm enough spell to melt any of it. It just keeps piling up - (not that our sub-arctic climate ever gets the huge dumps of elsewhere.) Still, this is weather like I haven't seen in 20 years or more. I marked three miles of ice trail with my sons over the weekend and punched through the sea ice only once - with considerable effort- while placing the willow markers. And it is rather unusual to get the number of sub-zero F temps we've been getting so early. Generally November benefits from the maritime influence of this coastal area - even though there is sea ice.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by atkinson
According to the latest report the Ice cap is replenishing its ice and the world is now starting in its cooling mode and replacing the ice as expected.

Al Gore also invented the computer. That guy is one good con artist, and BS is his middle name, and he has conned the government and the people once again. All he had to do was make it political correctness to believe in global warning, scare the gullaible and rake in the cash. What a sleezebag.

Globla warning is a farce.

Normally I agree with just about every thing you write. This time you've written a couple of thing I believe to be in error.

First off, global warming, I've seen this happen 60 times in my life, every summer for all the years I've been alive. On the other side of the question I have seen global cooling every fall and winter of my life. In this case Al Gore has been right half the time. Personally I think it has something to do with the angle of the earth in relationship to the sun, but the jury is still out on this.

The other point you made about Al Gore was, "he invented the computer". I do remember when he shocked the boys at JPL with his announcement of "inventing the Internet", and the rest of the country for that matter. I think that entire thing grew out of his wanting to claim of inventing global warming, but really that happened back when his daddy was still growing tobacco, and Al was up to two packs a day.

Next, the use of the word "sleazebag"? Did you really use that word where you intended the word "scumbag"? I will grant that both words to be metaphorically correct, however I feel the personnel choice of scumbag to be more appropriate.

None of what I have written here is written to be critical of your charteratization, it was written in the hopes for more accuracy and perhaps clarification.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having 'sailed' the Arctic Ocean for the last 4 years, I can attest that the amount of broken ice at the Beaufort Sea coast has reduced from 'some' to 'none' is a true fact. This in the summer/open ice time frame.

An advancing glacier, and a retreating glacier can actually indicate the same thing... warming temps. At least when measured at the face.

Let's not ignore the facts, even if we don't agree with the cause.

Could it all change next winter? Sure. But, maybe not.

Brian

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

One of my daughter's has decided to go back and get another College Degree. She is now in the Honors Classes at Missoula, MT ....

She is taking Biological Sciences (Global Warming) ... actually 3 western Colleges have that type of new curriculum ... U of A, Oregon State, and Montana.

Actually she corrected me and "Global Warming" is not a correct term any more ... it's "Climate Change" !!!!!!!

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Phasmid
Klik,

You will have to start an Alaskan subsidiary of the North Dakotans for Global Warming Club. My friends in ND are charter members. It has been very mild fall and dry so far here in WY. However, when I see the negative temps in Alaska I know sooner or later that cold air will come sliding down and cover us. Our record low for today in Laramie was set in 1993 at -26. It is supposed to get up to 56 today for or high. That temperature makes ice fishing around here a risky proposition. Keep that cold air up there! I am not complaining;)

Hey, there! I'm a North Dakotan! Having spent some years in both Interior, and on the North Slope, I moved to the Banana Belt- AKA Kenai Peninsula.

And it isn't none too warm here either, currently.

Comparitively speaking.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,823
Posts18,516,764
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.