Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Roger and Eileen are pretty bad too! We haven't seen him for a couple of years, and that's not fun. Might have to change that....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going to tell Karen that Roger is stringing another woman along, too, and that it is her friend Eileen. She will be shocked!

We haven't seen him for a couple of years, either. Life is less fun without Roger in it. Crazy is good.

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Name a must-read firearms book that doesn't get the attention it deserves. Either from age, language, or availability what works aren't being read, but should be?

By the price alone obviously nothing to compare with the exotic books mentioned at exotic prices - all these are readily available at yard sale prices.

I like Tom Hayes on White Tail - I read the 1960 original first but the 1977 reissue is good too. For an eastern Idaho connection I like Game and the Gunner: Observations on game management and sport hunting, Pierre (Albert) Pulling. I'd say Ted Trueblood was the best writer out of Idaho. I rank The Education of a Turkey Hunter with any of the great tales out of Africa for a hunter's memoir of his own now gone time and place.

For an entree into knocks on Phil Sharpe, Herters long went out of their way to disparage a certain Army ordnance type in their reloading books.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
J A Hunter, Hunter
Jerry A Lewis, Wings for the Heart

Jerry A Lewis, Silent Crossings

Jerry A Lewis, The Longwalkers

Didn't know Jerry had written so many books. I loved "The Longwalkers". I had better start Amazoning.

I recomend Francis Sell's "The Art of Successful Dear Hunting" to everyone.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Longwalkers is Jerry's revision of his superb but vastly over-priced Silent Crossings.

To my sorrow, Jerry � one of the ablest young writers to come along in decades � has given-up writing. Too bad � he still has a lot of good stuff to tell.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Several from my library as "MOST FAVORITES".

"Sport and Life in Western America & Bririch Culumbia"
Baillie Grohman

"Camps in the Rockies" Baillie Grohman

"Tales of a Big Game Guide" Russell Annabel

"Camp-fires in the Rockies" Hornaday -- Phillips

Magazine Story Outdoor Life February 1937 @.15 cents
"Record on a Meat Hunt L.S. Chadwick
[Chadwick Ram]

My # 1 also,
"Alaskan-Yukon Trophies Won & Lost" Young

All Orginals

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One rochchuck.

It didn't shoot too badly, but the so-called safety and other things made it a PITA to actually hunt with, especially at iron sight ranges. Toward the end of my first deer season I hadn't even taken a shot, so my dad took pity on me and loaded me his Marlin .30-30 with 4x scope (he'd taken his deer already) and I killed a big doe the first morning I carried it. Of course the shot was somewhere between 30 and 40 FEET, so the Mosin-Nagant probably would have worked.

Then after the season was over, he took me down to one of the local sporting goods stores where they had lots of used rifles, and told me to pick any of them out up to $50. This actually wasn't too bad a deal in those days. I picked out a used Savage 99EG in .308 priced at $55, but can't remember whether my father kicked in the extra $5 or I paid it out my paper route money.
Anyway, I killed some deer with that rifle over the next few years, but eventually got older and stupider and traded it off for something else.

Too bad for you that you traded the Savage 99. You could have made a $20 profit - I'd pay you $75 for it!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
1. Scloppetaria

or Considerations on the Nature and Use of Rifled Barrel Guns with Reference to Their Forming The Basis of a Permanent System of National Defence, Agreeable to the Genius of the Country.

By a Corporal of Riflemen, London, 1808.

2. Any Shot You Want

The A-Square Handloading and Rifle Manual

A-Square, 1996 (This would be A-Square's best product)

3. Harold R. Vaughn, Rifle Accuracy Facts

Precision Shooting, Inc. 1998

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Theodore Roosevelt admirers should also get his "Naval War of 1812", his first book, published in 1882 when he was 24, which he had begun while he was in college. It was immediately recognized as a brilliant and authoritative treatment of that conflict and the US Navy bought copies for all its big ships (not that there were that many then !!). After more than a century it is still the basic text and has gone through many editions. Abebooks.com has it from a 1999 paperback for a few bucks all the way up to more than three hundred for the original two volumes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
love Beards Eyelids of Morning.....beast to sit and read but the pictures are well worth the price and i flip through it often....

think i would love it if the wife would give me a month off to go down and sit at Kens place and just thumb through his library.....oh and chat too ofcourse grin

anyone got this one? Trailing the Giant Panda by Theodore Roosevelt.....ran across it on ebay 3 years ago.....didnt buy it, keep thinking of tracking a copy down cause its so un-PC

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

mjc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A great old and not frequently seen book is `Modern American Rifles by A.C. Gould. Published in 1892, it covered period rifles � manufacture, calibers, sights, target shooting, reloading, etc. It would be a wonderful candidate for modern reprinting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
� think i would love it if the wife would give me a month off to go down and sit at Kens place and just thumb through his library.....oh and chat too ofcourse grin

anyone got this one? Trailing the Giant Panda by Theodore Roosevelt.....ran across it on ebay 3 years ago.....didnt buy it, keep thinking of tracking a copy down cause its so un-PC

� Better idea: bring her along! After she sees me, she'll appreciate you more.

� My T R collection includes that one.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mjc
A great old and not frequently seen book is `Modern American Rifles by A.C. Gould. Published in 1892, it covered period rifles � manufacture, calibers, sights, target shooting, reloading, etc. It would be a wonderful candidate for modern reprinting.

Both Wolfe and Palladium have reprinted it. I have 'em both.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Ken,

I believe we cannot stump the ground loud enough in support of Palladium Press and the Firearms Classic Library. The NRA has not supported this project very well. Les Adams, Amanda Adams and Jim Casada have set up a real opportunity for young riflemen to expand their library with high quality volumes at reasonable prices.
One of the benefits of membership has been the Second Amendment Primer, the Bill of Rights Primer and the Marksmanship Primer, three great little books. The FCL has occasionally offered these little books at discount prices and we bought several for gifts.

Any mention of Earl Naramore should also include his little book: Handloaders Manual. A young handloader equipped with Handloaders Manual, Principles and Practices, Matterns Handloading Ammunition and Whelens Why Not Load Your Own will have a good grounding in the basics with only a need for modern load data to round out his or her library.

Slim
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wish i could Ken but i cant plan a weekend longer than bout 5 days and neither can the wife given our choice of career.....publishing a couple small town weekly newspapers gives us alot of freedoms but extended vacations isnt one of them.. may see if on the next Colorado trip i can leave the wife with her friends and head down your way for a day or so.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hearty dittos on all points!

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you include hunting books, a few of my favorites are:
Both of Elgin Gates' Trophy Hunter books
Robert Anderson's three "Great Rams" books
Mongolian Hunter by Patrick Steward
Asian Hunter by Captain John Brandt
Havilah Babcock's "I Don't Want to Shoot an Elephant" and "Jaybirds Go to Hell on Friday"
Ruark's "The Old Man and the Boy" (or just about any Ruark book)
Ricardo Medem's Argali and Persian Safari books
Roy Chapman Andrew's "Across Mongolian Plains" and "To the Ends of the Earth" (As mention by MD).
James Clark's "Trail of the Hunted"
Douglas Burden's "Into the Wilderness"
William Morden's "Across Asia's Snows and Deserts"
Jesus Yuren's "Song of the Summits"
Boddington's "From Mount Kenya to the Cape"
I also enjoyed all of John Batten's books

Any of Pat McManus or Russell Annabel's books for just a rollicking good read...

An honest man's pillow, is his peace of mind... JM
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
For those into history read CROW KILLER. The story of Liver-eatin' Johnson. I've always been interested in the early hunters and adventurers. Johnson sure was one.

O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oregon45:

Just wondering if you received your copy of the book. I ordered it, but received a noticed today that they could not deliver. Just wondered if you were able to get your copy.

Tom

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I must have a decent collection, because so far I own at least 95% of the books suggested. �

Congratulations if you have (or "good luck!" if you go looking for) Sheldon's Wilderness of Denali and Wilderness of the Upper Yukon.

Got those two and Sheldon's "Wilderness of the Desert Bighorns & Seri Indians".

My all time favorite is, of course, "Alaskan - Yukon Trophies Won and Lost".

Here is another obscure title that is very good: "Grizzlies Don't Come Easy" by Ralph W. Young.

Last edited by sbhva; 12/08/08.

Steve

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,802
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.