Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
"Bloomburg said that he wants to make an example of him to the NFL and the rest of pro sports and that he should do the mandatory jail term."

A) He can't do that. As Mayor, he doesn't have the authority.

B) He couldn't do that. Burris MUST be treated just like everyone else. He is entitled by our Constitution to be treated just as any other citizen. What if it was just some poor Sanitation worker who had the gun to protect himself from alligators, pythons, and rats in the city's sewer.

C) He shouldn't do that. It would be too disturbing to Burris's teammates and ruin the chances of bringing another Super Bowl title to the Mayor's beloved City.

D) He won't do that. No one REALLY expects professional athletes to follow things like rules, laws, etc. Bloomberg will save his real firepower for some poor "Joe the Plumber" type who kills someone who has broken into his house, killed his dog, raped his wife, stolen his money, and is in the process of trying to stab poor Joe to death, after being put on hold for 10 minutes by the 911 operator. THAT'S when the Mayor will get really serious. "We can't let vigilantism rear its ugly head in our fair city"...

Hey Bloomberg! You go girl!!!

Last edited by Kemosabe; 12/02/08.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants - it is the creed of slaves" William Pitt
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It just occurred to me that, if Mr. Burris's gun was one of the new junta's "childproof" pistols, this whole thing could have been avoided.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants - it is the creed of slaves" William Pitt
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Kemosabe - Yes he can and will.. He's got the gov behind him he's got the NYC Judical system behind him and for sure Hildabeast and the rest of the powers that be to use their power to get Burress into the slammer.. He'll go down..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no love for Mr. Burress...however, what part of this is too hard to comprehend?

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

N
NYH1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Burress didn't have a pistol permit. He can't get one in NY anyway's because he is not a resident of this state, he lives in NJ. He committed a felony, plain and simple. He should be punished just like anyone else would be.

I'm all for law abiding citizen carry pistols, I do it all the time. However, I went through the motions and have pistol permit in three states. Burress didn't do this.

Burress shouldn't be treated any worse then Joey Bagadonuts would be. He also shouldn't get any breaks because of who he is.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
here is another opinion from "John Lott" leading 2nd ammendment scholar. perhaps we might all pay closer attention to the facts and let our prejudices stay in our pockets.

Do Football Players Need Self-Defense?

Physically huge NFL players admitting they feel threatened by crime? This hardly fits their tough, macho image. Our concern is supposed to be for women walking alone at night. Who can have sympathy for a professional football player such as Plaxico Burress who is 6 feet 5 inches and weighs 232 lbs.?

Burress, who has no previous criminal record, now faces between three and a half to 15 years for illegally carrying a concealed handgun with him in Manhattan, if convicted. He was arrested Monday and was released on $100,000 bail. � Burress had had a concealed handgun permit in the state of Florida for the last five years, but he forgot to renew it in May this year.

While the massive size and strength of NFL players might make them seem like unlikely potential crime victims, their wealth and high public profile nonetheless make them particularly attractive targets for violent criminals. While �only� two players were murdered last year, that means a murder rate of 118 per 100,000 people, compared to 5.9 per 100,000 for the rest of the population. In other words, the rate for NFL players was 20 times higher than the average for the rest of the country. This is even higher than the most at risk segment of the population -� young black males between 18 and 24. It is even higher than the risk faced by police officers.

Last year, the Washington Redskins� Sean Taylor was killed during a robbery at his house. The Denver Broncos� defensive back Darrent Williams was killed outside a nightclub.

As Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Ronde Barber noted, �We are targets, we need to be aware of that everywhere we go.� Yet, the news coverage doesn�t engender much sympathy for Plaxico Burress.

So, what do many NFL players do when they realize that their physical strength does not give them enough protection from violent crime? The same thing that many other would-be victims do � they get guns. Well over 50 percent of NFL players are estimated to own guns, somewhat higher than the 45 percent of American adults who own guns.

Not everyone approves. Mike Ditka, the Hall of Fame tight end and former Chicago Bears football coach, advocates banning NFL players from owning guns. Ditka said, �I don�t understand the league, why can anybody have a gun? I will have a policy, no guns, any NFL players we find out, period, you�re suspended.� AOL Sports writer Michael Smith also supports the ban and says, �If you carry a gun around, you�re more likely to hurt yourself than protect yourself.�

It would be great if the police were always there to rescue would-be victims, but as the police themselves understand, they virtually always arrive on the scene after the crime has already occurred. Fortunately, just as criminals are deterred by higher arrest rates or longer prison sentences, the fact that potential victims own guns deters some attackers. The Department of Justice�s National Crime Victimization Survey, which covers almost 30 years, also shows that having a gun is consistently by far the safest course of action for victims.

Over the last three or four years, numerous professional players can attest to the benefits of owning guns. For example, Corey Fuller, the 5-foot, 10-inch, 210-pound defensive back for the Baltimore Ravens, was confronted by two armed robbers outside his Tallahassee house. One robber chased Fuller into his house where his wife and children were sleeping, but Fuller was able to grab a gun and fire at the attackers, who then ran away.

T.J. Slaughter, a 6-foot, 233-pound linebacker, was arrested for allegedly pointing a gun at motorists who pulled up next to him on the highway. Slaughter denied that he had pointed the gun at the motorists and claimed that they had threatened him. No charges were filed, though, possibly following Dikta�s rule, the Jacksonville Jaguars still cut Slaughter the next day. Jacksonville claimed Slaughter was performing poorly.

Professional athletes� physical strength hardly makes them immune to crime. Take a couple additional examples.

� The Oakland Raiders� Javon Walker (height: 6-3, weight: 215 lbs.) was robbed and beaten this past June while visiting Las Vegas. He was hospitalized with a concussion and facial injuries.

� The Houston Texans� Dunta Robinson (height: 5-10, weight: 184 lbs.) was robbed by two men in his home a year ago. The robbers bound him with duct tape and stole jewelry.

Unfortunately all of the nation�s four leading pro-sports leagues � the National Football League, the National Basketball Association, the National Hockey League and Major League Baseball � trivialize the athletes� concerns over safety. The NFL�s official advice: �In some circumstances, such as for sport or protection, you may legally possess a firearm or other weapon. However, we strongly recommend that you not do so.� The league advocates passive behavior when confronted by a criminal.

Fred Taylor (height: 6-1, weight: 228) a running back with the Jacksonville Jaguars made the point clear: �League officials tell us we need to take measures to protect ourselves. But the NFL says we can�t have guns in the facility �even in the parking lot. Crooks know this. They can just sit back and wait for us to drive off, knowing we won�t have anything in our vehicle from point A to point B.�

Even professional athletes are not supermen. T.J. Slaughter expresses no regrets for having a gun despite running afoul of political correctness and being cut by the Jaguars. He says, �I believe legally owning a gun is the right thing to do. It offers me protection. I think one day it could save my life.� It seems a lesson that many who are not quite as strong can also learn from.

the entire article

http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/12/02/jlott_guncontrol/

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men always stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have a problem with Plaxico owning a gun, but as a gun owner, he needs to follow the laws set forth, as when he doesn't he makes the rest of us look bad. And to add insult to injury, he shot himself, glad it was only him and not some innocent. Yeah, he needs to be charged just as anyone else. If you are gonna utilze your rights, by gawd you need to ensure your ducks are in a row, especially when you are that high profile. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by New_York_Hunter2
Burress didn't have a pistol permit. He can't get one in NY anyway's because he is not a resident of this state, he lives in NJ. He committed a felony, plain and simple. He should be punished just like anyone else would be.

i'm sure he will be according to the political pressure being emphasized by bloomberg. he will be made an example, which coincides with bloomberg's liberal anti-gun laws.
it doesn't matter whether he had a current florida license, or anywhere else in the country for that matter. to carry in nyc, you need a city license, which also enables you to carry anywhere else in the state. honestly, it should allow someone to carry anywhere else in the country because it is so stringent & extremely difficult to obtain, bordering on impossible. i know because i am one of the very few who has one.

-ken

Last edited by CaptEdIII; 12/03/08.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Its all about that reciprocity thing, hell Colorado and Ohio won't recognize each others permits, yet their ccw laws are very close. Les

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Les, The US Constitution IS the law.. all the crap added on is just that, CRAP.

wink
g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your correct, while I may not agree with having to get a permit to canceal carry, I stand by "Do what your wallet can afford!" Since I can't afford a lawyer like Steve No(doubt he would cover me Pro Bono) to take up my cause, I guess I will follow my State laws and carry with my license. Les

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
To many things about this story just do not pass the smell test.
According to Fox News Buress went to this "club" at 1 AM with a Glock Pistol in his waistband. The Clubs metal detector went off allerting the club securaty to the firearm. The Clubs Manager allowed Buress to enter with the pistol in his waistband anyway. Because of who he is. Then somehow, the GLOCK Pistol slipped from his waistband and slid down the inside of his pantleg discharging and shooting him in the right thigh. The gunshot was covered up by the hospital and not reported as is required by law due to Buress's status.
Now the things I find questionable that have not been even touched by the media is
According to the anti gun media, a Glock is invisible to metal detectors. ( This is false because the Glock is still 70% steel even though the frame is a polymer material) But why has the media not questioned this falsehood that is widely accepted as a fact?
And 2 (this is the big stinkoroony) A Glocks fireing system "trigger group" won't work unless a finger is on the trigger to depress the saftey lever that is mounted in the center of the trigger. That is why the Glock is known as a safe action pistol, it cannot be made to discharge even with a round in the chamber by dropping, or hitting with a hammer, or even by partially depressing the trigger. The entire finger tip has to be involved or the pistol WILL NOT OPERATE!
So what is the real story that the Giants, and Buress, and the News Media, and for that matter the city of New York are covering up?

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you're exactly correct bdog1. i have a ruger p85 which has fallen down my pants leg more than a few times over the past years frown & nothing has ever happened. also, i never leave the safety on, never.

this was the first thing i thought about when i first heard the story. it doesn't completely add up to me either.

-ken

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 160user, 45 invisible), 3,427 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,576
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.