Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've been butchering deer for the guys at my club, and at the moment, they seem to be falling out of the trees. I got 3 the first week. I've butchered 15, so far. Two were waiting in the cooler this morning, and the guys brought in 3 more. I'm making a nice sausage for everyone out of the trimmings. It's different, and goes really well on the grill. Much better with charcoal than the Italian we've all been eating for years.

I grind 5 pounds of meat: half venison, half pork butt. I grind the venison twice, and the butt once through the large disk.

5 pounds of meat
2 Tablespoons Sugar
2 teaspoons Salt
2 teaspoons Pepper
2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
2 teaspoons Coleman's Mustard
2 teaspoons Marjoram

Now the last time I made a batch, I ran short of Marjoram, and used 1 teaspoon of Marjoram and 1/2 teaspoon of Thyme. It was very good, and I believe I am going to make a permanent modification to my recipe. If you like thyme, I'd go that way. I'll be making another 30 - 60 pounds tomorrow. Should be a blast!

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing like some great snausages. smile

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I have no idea what Marjoram is, but I've got a lot of course ground venison burger mixed with beef trimmings and tallow- that I want to try and make Jerky with.

Would your seasoning recipe work for jerky as well as sausage?

It all sounds like it must be some pretty good stuff in there ...

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Marjoram is a cousin to oregano, but they say, it's not as dry. It's a little more "flowery" tasting. There are European Country or fresh (not cured or smoked) sausages that contain marjoram and dry mustard. I started with a kielbasa recipe and wound up a little closer to a German country sausage. A guy at the club was stationed there for years, and he had some off the grill and said it was a lot like what he had there. If you've got a jerky shooter, there's no reason you can't mix it up and make some jerky.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to try this.....sounds great

IC B2

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I cut up a deer today, and two the other day. I'm helping out with at least three tomorrow. Shotgun season is tough on the deer population here. I am still making the same sausage. Everyone has good things to say about it. I'm also making some Italian by "Three Men with nothing better to do" the barbecue champs. They do some really good stuff and I've been going back and forth to their site over the years for ideas. If you want to look at bbq recipes and sausage recipes as well as how to's here they are. I don't think it'd be proper to cut and paste one of theirs. Their Italian/Sicilian is very good with cold red wine like Chianti classico.

http://www.3men.com/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I made 15 pounds of sausage today. I used your seasoning mix, with a few changes Rob.
For each 5 pounds, I added in:
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
1 Teaspoon HOT Hungarian Paprika
1 Tablespoon Malbec Red Wine

I fried some up, and its pretty darn good. I could have put more heat into the sausage, but I am making this for a friend, not for me.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 12/16/08.

Sam......

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I wondered if you tried it before the Paprika and Allspice. I make 200 pounds of the stuff for our annual pig roast, and I make a ton of sausage for the guys I cut up deer for. I did a little skipper doe tonight and made a spice mix for one guy while soaking up compliments from another who made patties and grilled them while his wife made French toast to serve with it for dinner. I didn't ask. Anyway, I get asked to make a ton of the stuff. The "hot paprika" and the "allspice" are both pretty strong spices. I'm sure it would make the taste very different. I guess I will have to try it in private.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
yes Rob, I did. I made some venison sausage using your mix last week. It was, as you can imagine, well received.
Both spices mixes are good, but I personally like the flavor nuance that a bit of Allspice adds, and I prefer the taste of the brown sugar over plain cane sugar
I have a lot of the hot Hungarian Paprika in the freezer, and use it in a lot of dishes. I prefer it over Cayenne pepper, or regular domestic or Spanish paprika.

Sam......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 2,160 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,126
Posts18,483,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.