Print Thread
Hop To
D
Dew Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
How about we give "tips" and other bits of good advice for things that concern squirrel hunting? And, let us keep it to the subject and not go off chasing rabbits. (Pun intended.) OK, I'll start off with one. Since I hunt in a lot of brairs and thick areas, I've had trouble with getting hung on stickers and such. You know what I mean. You see a place you want to get to where it looks good for squirrels so off you go and then your hung in the stickers and brambles.

Tip... I keep a small pruning shear in my right front coat pocket. Just the thing for cutting your way free. I suggest the bypass type of pruner as it will take out limbs to about a half inch. Works great on the small briers that I get tangled in. Also helps when you are cutting off legs or the head of the squirrel.

Next...anyone?

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Well it may seem obvious but..
I have started to carry a little "cleaing kit" with me.
A couple of freezer bags, rubber gloves, sanitary soap and paper towels. All tucked into one of the bags.

When i'm done hunting, I skin them at the truck, tuck them in the freezer bags and put the waste in another bag, including the gloves. I wash up and hit the road. When I get home, I wash them real good and toss them in the freezer, the other bag goes in the trash.

Di it with 2 just last night. smile

STILL clinging to my guns and my religion.
D
Dew Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Bustingclay,

You and I are doing the same thing.

Tip... I also carry a gallon of water in a plastic milk jug to wash up and clean the game. However, I take a round tooth pick and stick it about an inch above the bottom of the carton into one of the corners just enough to leave a fair amount sticking inside of the jug. Fill the jug with water and replace the plastic cap. The water will swell the toothpick and you will have little if any loss of water from the toothpick hole. To use the water you remove the cap and the toothpick and you will have enough to wash a squirrel and clean your hands with both hands free to operate. When you are about through, put the cap back on and the water will slow down due to the vacuum formed in the jug. Stick the tooth pick back in the hole and you are through. Sit the jug on the edge of the truck tailgate and you never wet your bed. (Pun intended... again.) I've been able to clean several squirrels and a dozen doves using this method with one filling of water. Sure beats having to slosh water from one hand to the other to clean up. Of course you rinse the squirrels again at home. You can also hang the jug from a limb if you don't have a tailgate to sit it on.

Try the Bible.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Dew
Bustingclay,

You and I are doing the same thing.

Tip... I also carry a gallon of water in a plastic milk jug to wash up and clean the game. However, I take a round tooth pick and stick it about an inch above the bottom of the carton into one of the corners just enough to leave a fair amount sticking inside of the jug. Fill the jug with water and replace the plastic cap. The water will swell the toothpick and you will have little if any loss of water from the toothpick hole. To use the water you remove the cap and the toothpick and you will have enough to wash a squirrel and clean your hands with both hands free to operate. When you are about through, put the cap back on and the water will slow down due to the vacuum formed in the jug. Stick the tooth pick back in the hole and you are through. Sit the jug on the edge of the truck tailgate and you never wet your bed. (Pun intended... again.) I've been able to clean several squirrels and a dozen doves using this method with one filling of water. Sure beats having to slosh water from one hand to the other to clean up. Of course you rinse the squirrels again at home. You can also hang the jug from a limb if you don't have a tailgate to sit it on.

That is a really good idea!! I like it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just bring a plastic garbage bag along, put the squirrls in it so they don't bleed all over the inside of my backpack.

Have another one along to put my "snack" trash in.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
IC B2

D
Dew Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
It looks like this topic is not going so good so I'll give another tip. On the matter of slings. Leather seems to have a bit of a better "grip" on the shoulder than the new nylon slings.
I'm sure you know what I mean if you have to keep "pulling" the sling back onto your shoulder. In days gone by it was a common practice to sew a large button on the top of the jacket about halfway from the collar to the end of the shoulder. A LARGE button will go a long way toward keeping the sling in place. If you have not tried it you will be surprised how you can lean over and not have your rifle fall off your shoulder. The bigger the button (diameter and height) the better it works. Keep it to the inside toward the collar as the first time I tried this years ago I had it sewed just above the end of the shoulder such as where the bars of rank of military officers are pinned. Not a good spot.
Later,
Dew

Try the Bible.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
OK, here is one.
I like to go out after work for an hour or so and bust a couple. For whatever reason, I have always noticed that squirrels tend to orient near an edge. Field edge, powerline edge, hardwood/pine edge. I don't know why but other than oaks in the earlier fall, I tend to find them here in the afternoons.

I stalk along a power line at the edge of the woods and look and listen. I can cover alot of ground like this and do it quietly. I may walk past some without knowing they are there but I generally get a couple in a 30-45 minute walk.

Thats how i do it when i am just trying to get out for a walk.

D
Dew Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I take a small binocular with me and when sitting I look for the tail that the wind moves off of a limb when the squirrel is hiding. Since the squirrel knows most likely that I am there or at least something is wrong, I'll pick up a stick and throw it to the other side of the tree. Often the squirrel will come around to my side in plain view. He is trying to get away from the new "danger".

Of course a lot of the "tips" we are talking about seem rather obvious to most of us but I feel sure there are some young boys (girls too?) that might learn from them.

Keep them coming.

Try the Bible.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Io carry dead squirrels while hunting I cut a small limb with a v where another limb attatched. I simply cut a hole between the leg bone and tendon and slide them down the stick. Sorta like a fish stringer. Keeps the squirrles from balling up like they do in my game vest.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hey Dew. I have tossed a stick and I'll tell you another one.

I have tossed my coat over some brush and walked around to the other side of the tree. He tries to keep the tree between you and him and sees that coat. He comes back around and you got him.

BigDaddyK. I do that on private land but if I am hunting public land, they go in my coat or vest. For obvious reasons.

IC B3

D
Dew Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
So where do you hang the squirrels when you have them on the stick? Do you hook it through your belt and let it swing on your leg? Or just carry it in your hand?

Next question is what kind of pants do you wear when hunting... Jeans... Overalls or regular big pocket hunting pants?

Try the Bible.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Dew, again, I only do that on private land and I just carry them. My Grandfather did the same thing.
I found as BigDaddyK said, they ball up in a vest or jacket.

I just carry them.
As for pants.. Jeans, camo, upland pants, shorts, whatever I am wearing after work... LOL...

D
Dew Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I'm not sure why you put them on a stick only on private land. Is there some law against it on a public hunting ground?
I know what you mean about the balling up thingly.

Try the Bible.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Dew
I'm not sure why you put them on a stick only on private land. Is there some law against it on a public hunting ground?
I know what you mean about the balling up thingly.

No Sir, no law at all.
It would just be luck to some idiot see them and ignore everything else. I wind up getting shot.
You hear about people shot on WMA land every year. I don't want to be one of those stats.

D
Dew Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Good thinking. I don't wonder at what you say. Here in Texas there is VERY little pubic hunting. You have to be rich to have a good lease to hunt on or have some very nice friends that have land.

Best,
W

Try the Bible.
D
Dew Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Another tip:

Look at your feet when walking so you won't trip on a piece of an old barb wire fence strand that is about ankle high. Then you won't fall flat on your face and have to pitch your rifle away from your body so you won't fall on it and break the stock.
Plus, you find out later that your wrist watch was flipped out into the 8" deep pile of leaves even though it was a blessing to fall onto them instead on hard ground.

You must trust me on this.

P.S. I'm going to have to take a metal detector out tomorrow. This the second watch I've lost hunting. I have watches, pocket knives and flashlights all over the west.

Blessings to you in the days ahead.

WD

Try the Bible.
D
Dew Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Went back with a metal detector and found my watch. The band had broken when I fell. Took just a short time to find it.

If the weather holds, I'm going back out to hunt Monday.
Stay warm.

D

Try the Bible.
D
Dew Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I've found that a pair of toddler's socks on the scope is a good way to keep the lenses dry when the woods are wet. You can pick them up in the Wally world type stores for around .50 a pair. They are also great to slip on the scope when you clean the bore of your rifle as it keeps the fluids off the scope lenses. I know you can buy the Butler Creek type flips ups but I go cheap and do just fine. Get the smaller sizes such as 0 to 6 months of age.
If you lose one in the woods... not to worry.

Looks like I'm about the only one still on this thread. Hope it is not going to die.
I KNOW you guys know a BUNCH of good stuff... please post it!
Carpe Diem,
D

Last edited by Dew; 12/27/08.

Try the Bible.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Find out what ammo shoots best in your rifle,learn it's trajectory, practice with it at different ranges and stick with it.

Try for head shots only.

Use the side of a tree for a rest whenever you can and make sure your barrel's not touching the tree.

When you've killed one let it lie for awhile before you pick it up, might be another one around.

If you're carrying dead sqirrels in warm weather watch out for yellowjackets buzzing them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (163bc, 204guy, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,785
Posts18,515,843
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.