Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Thought this might be of interest:

HARARE, Zimbabwe �

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,461604,00.html

Zimbabwe has declared a national emergency over a cholera epidemic and health care system collapse, and is seeking more international help to pay for food, drugs and hospital equipment, the state-run newspaper said Thursday.

"Our central hospitals are literally not functioning," Minister of Health David Parirenyatwa said Wednesday at a meeting of government and international aid officials, according to The Herald newspaper.

Click here to view photos.

The health minister declared the state of emergency at the meeting, and appealed for money to pay for food, drugs, hospital equipment and salaries for doctors and nurses.

"Our staff is demotivated and we need your support to ensure that they start coming to work and our health system is revived," he was quoted as saying.

A cholera epidemic blamed on lack of water treatment and broken sewage pipes has killed more than 500 people across the country, the United Nations said.

Without help, the situation could get much worse, said Walter Mzembi, the deputy water minister who also attended Wednesday's meeting. He said the ministry has only enough chemicals to treat water nationally for 12 more weeks.

U.N. agencies, embassies and aid groups at the meeting pledged to help, The Herald said.

The European Commission said it would provide more than $12 million for drugs and clean water, and the International Red Cross said it would release more funds to help deal with cholera.

"We need to pool our resources together and see how best we can respond to this emergency," Agostinho Zacarias, the U.N. Development Program director in Zimbabwe, was quoted as saying.

Zimbabwe is suffering from the world's highest inflation, and Zimbabweans face daily shortages of food and other basic goods.

The government, meanwhile, has been paralyzed since disputed March elections, with President Robert Mugabe and the opposition wrangling over a power-sharing deal.

Despite the threat of arrest, Zimbabweans have increasingly been willing to protest for more government response to the worsening crisis. Riot police on Wednesday charged a group of protesting doctors and nurses and broke up other demonstrations. Several activists were reportedly detained, apparently to keep them from rallying protesters.

In neighboring South Africa, where increasing numbers of Zimbabweans are seeking cholera treatment, the crisis was being discussed at the highest levels.

South African President Kgalema Motlanthe planned to convene a Cabinet meeting "to consider ways in which South Africa could work with other countries in the region, donor organizations and (aid groups) to address the urgent need for food and other humanitarian needs," government spokesman Themba Maseko said Thursday.

Earlier this week, South African officials said the bacteria that causes cholera had been found in South African waters in the Limpopo River, which forms part of the country's border with Zimbabwe.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Net result of the carnage foisted on that country by the despot,Mugabe; infrastructure in total collapse.I have not been keeping track, but if that fool is still in office, I would make aid contingent on him getting out of office,or prosecute him criminally for crimes against humanity,and restore private property rights to Zim residents.

It is a travesty that those creeps are requesting financial aid when they are the ones' responsible for the country's total collapse.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
+1 to all of the above. The good money (American $,etc.) stays in the hands of a fortunate few. So much for the trickle down effect.

Last year I sent a pair of boots to a friend in Zim and he never got them. The postman decided they were his size........

You wouldn't find me there now.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The latest update on this deteriorating situation.

CNN Zimbabwe

Jim
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

I got cholera in Zimbabwe on a hunt in 1984. We'd been out all day, without water, and I finally killed the huge zebra stallion that we were tracking.

Like a dumbshit, I drank from a cattle trough. I was soooo thirsty and was alone with the zebra while the PH and the tracker found our Land Cruiser and came the 8-10 miles to the kill site.

Damned near died. Damn near died. Damn near died.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,415
Posts18,507,197
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.