Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I just received from a friend a Winchester Model 71 in 348 W.C.F. It is maybe 90% to 94%, unaltered. What is it? Is it a collector's piece? What is it worth? Will it knock down a moose, elk, bear? How do I find ammunition? The serial number is 36267; when was is made?

God, grant me the senility to forget the guns I never liked, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to know the difference.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is a mighty fine old rifle, the end of the line for Winchester's heavy lever actions. It was the final evolution of the Model 1886 lever action, but was only chambered for one round, the .348 Winchester. It will knock down a moose, elk, big bear, etc. The first ones were made in 1935, the last ones were made in 1957, yours was made in 1953. Ammo is still made by Winchester, but like the .458 WIN MAG and a few others is a limited production item (they make it every few years on an as needed basis). Brass is the same way - you buy it when you find it. Hornady and Barnes make jacketed bullets and Bear Tooth Bullet Co., makes some great gas checked lead bullets for the .348 WIN. When I owned one I horded brass and bullets (the Hornady's were always easy to order, the Bear Tooth bullets usually had a waiting period). I used IMR 4350 and IMR 3031 with very good results. I will try to find my old loading notes, but you will find data in Hornady's manual. Value, I don't know anymore, but I would say at least $1000.00 for the condition you describe - they made a carbine and a rifle in a standard and as a deluxe, so you need to be more specific on exactly what you have.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Yep 1k + at cabelas anywhere.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Odessa and Sharpshooter,
It is the Deluxe moldel with a long tang. Thank you for the information.

God, grant me the senility to forget the guns I never liked, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to know the difference.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
You have a very good friend indeed!
Browning also made a limited run of Model 71's back in the 80's
Check out Gunbroker the Model 71 is rising fast, deluxe models if clean are selling for closer to 3K or more.

Here is a picture of my Browning on top and Winchester below.

[Linked Image]

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They're a nice gun. My Great Uncle had one that had been given to him. It was scoped. I sure wish I had that rifle, but it went to his grandson, as it should have. I just hope he appreciates it the way I would have. I've got both my Grandpa's .22's. I'll never get rid of them and they are precious to me, but they are junkers. Guess that shows years of honest use.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
They're really nice rifles. I had wanted a Winchester 71, but ran across a NIB Browning deluxe carbine at a price I just couldn't pass up, so I am now shooting this beauty....
[Linked Image]

ken
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just stopped by a gunshop in a small town nearby yesterday and found a Win M71 in .348 on consignment. It's original, the standard model with 24" bbl (didn't notice the SN) in 90%+ condition with a Lyman receiver sight. The asking price is $2200, which seemed high to me, but I'm no expert on these. Any ideas of market value? I'll try to find the SN if that would help.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Price seems fair to me.

- John Spartan

Likes hunting with old leverguns.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I would love to have you original, and find one that somebody has defaced (drilled reciever...) and have it converted to
.450 Alaskan;
Now thats a bear hitter!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH AND SADDLING UP ANYWAY
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The 71s are a great iron sighted deer rifle..I had one as a kid for several years and loved it, shot a lot of deer with it..I have had a number of them since, but have not found one that was very accurate lately, so I peddle them off..If I find one that will group under 2 inches I will buy it and keep it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thor,

The guys up here that convert to 458 Alaskan prefer to use the Browning.....that way they aren't screwing up a collector and some claim better metallurgy.....a friend has one with full length magazine {10-11 rounds I think} and receiver sight....a load to carry but a real slayer. A coupel years ago, I saw two in Whitehorse....one in carbine and teh other full length magazine by prominent gunsmith.....trying to but a gun in Canada wasn't something I could pull off.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by atkinson
The 71s are a great iron sighted deer rifle..I had one as a kid for several years and loved it, shot a lot of deer with it..I have had a number of them since, but have not found one that was very accurate lately, so I peddle them off..If I find one that will group under 2 inches I will buy it and keep it.
My Browning 71 will hold them under two inches all day long with factory ammo. More like 1.25 inches. It wears Lyman peep sights.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have seen one 71 in .33 WCF...could have been a fake? Had a two digit SN with proper barrel/caliber inscription...

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
71's are the bomb. And yes they will drop moose bear and elk.

Your rifle was made in 1953. It is worth a minimum of $2K without seeing it, and probably could get more pretty easily from the right person.

Here's mine.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
71's are the bomb. And yes they will drop moose bear and elk.

Your rifle was made in 1953. It is worth a minimum of $2K without seeing it, and probably could get more pretty easily from the right person.

Here's mine.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Drooling here. A local gun store has had the twin to yours on its rack for at least five years. They have been asking about double Blue Book since then. As Blue Book goes up, so does the price, so I have not purchased it, and I doubt they will ever sell it at the price they are asking, but I sure would love to have it, or one like it. Best I could manage, about eight years ago, was a really nice (like new) Browning 71 in rifle configuration. I wish it had the checkering, though, and the sling swivels. I put the appropriate Lyman peep sights on it soon as I got it. I was amazed at its bench accuracy, keeping groups consistently just over an inch at 100 yards.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...The 71 is undeniably a great rifle. It has great power, decent trajectory, and is both a very strong, and durable design, that will serve through many generations of hunting use...The main criticism heard about it is it's heft. It is well balanced but quite heavy by modern standards. The popular rechambering of the 71 to Alaskan calibers like the 450 or 500, better justify it's heft, and should assure this old 'hunting horse' a lasting future as a big bear killer.
....It sure is great to see the fine 71's pictured in this thread. Thanks to all you guys for sharing. It's great to share just a bit in your enjoyment of owning such a great old rifle.

Last edited by olhippie; 12/29/08.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

I had to do some digging to find a photo of my old Winchester Model 71. This is the only one I have, taken while hunting in Wilson County NC on 12/27/2000. The quality is not too good, you can barely make out that it is a Model 71. Fine old rifle, accurate too, but it went away to a collector in California.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...Hey Odessa, That's a vintage hunting get up too. Right down to the LL.Bean Maine hunting shoes! The photo came out good on the forum..

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by olhippie
...Hey Odessa, That's a vintage hunting get up too. Right down to the LL.Bean Maine hunting shoes!
You beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing. Got to love a traditional hunting get up. I've always been a Filson man, myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 25classic, 2500HD, 222Sako, 56 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,965
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.