Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Hi! sorry my first post is a question but my husband and I currently live in NY. About 30 miles from Albany. We are looking to move out of here due to how liberal NY is and all the people from NYC coming up here and changing our laws. We live in a rural community, we own 35 acres and are very private (away in the woods). We would like to find the same in texas. Now what we are looking for is info on where to find cheaper properties within communiting distance of a smaller city. We do not want to live near the bigger cities. Also what would the pros and cons be on these areas? Any help would really be appreciated. THANKS!

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Mason in Mason County,Brady not sure what county,Menard in Menard county,Brownwood in Brownwood county,Stephenville not sure what county,all very nice and clean,everyone pretty much keeps to themselves.ALL very big into high school football.Most everyone is a farmer or rancher.Very proud of their communities.ALL BIG GUN ADVOCATES.Mostly Republican.Fredericksberg,German community with antique stores,big into peaches.People come from all over to eat and shop.All Country people.Mason most of the people in town went to school together and have known each other for years.Best feed store coffee you've ever drank.Most everyone meets you 1 time and remembers your name.If my wife wasn't such a city slicker,we'd be living in 1 of these towns for sure.
If their is any thing else I might be able to help you with just ask.I hope you find what you are looking for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are describing more than 90% of Texas. There's desert, piney woods, hardwoods, grasslands, coastal plains, hill country. Pick yer poison.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
we like heavily wooded areas and we really wanna stay as rural as possible but still within communiting distance. Most of the real estate sites seem to mislead quite a bit.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
thanks critter!! that is exactly the kind of info we are looking for. If i could find a town that is VERY republican it would be a dream town for me

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
What I like about it all of these towns within 100 miles of each other.If there is anything else let me know,always GLAD TO HAVE MORE LEGAL TEXANS.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Far East, and West, Texas are the cheapest. In East Texas the pro's are great fishing, great people and big woods. The cons are hot, humid weather and little employment opportunity. West Texas is RUGGED and isolated.

As far as the rest of Texas is concerned, it's like prostrate8 says....what do you like and how much money are we talking?

(Example: One acre in the hill country may be enough to make you happy, while 500 in Pecos and you may not have a tree (or water).

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I guess the big question then is, what do you do for a living? Not all areas of Texas support the same type of professions.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
http://texas-lands.com

Tell Crystal I said "Howdy", she's living down there in just the kind of place you're looking for, ask her to look for something like she has.............

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
great I will check realtors in those areas. thanks so much for the info critter. the way you describe it sound like it used to be our area but in the last 10 years things have just gotten worse and enough is enough its time to leave this place. And the sad thing is some of my family has been brainwashed and think liberal and it drives me NUTS!!!!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never been to Texas, nor do I know anything about it, but welcome to the 'fire! Most of the blokes around here are very helpful, and will give you good info.

M

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
we would like to spend around 250,000. My husband is a telecommunications engineer and i am a medical claims processor not sure what we could get for that kind of money? we have unfortunately never been to texas to even know. we just know we have had enough of this place

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for the Welcome!!!!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
All of these towns have small shops,grocery stores,electric co-op,telephone offices,feed stores,7-11's,ACE Hardware.Brownwood has 2 large companies their,1 is fiberglass and the other makes toilets and fixtures.If you want to work theirs jobs to be had.Most of the kids are born,raised and still live in thes towns.They're like LARGE FAMALIES.EVERYBODY KNOWS EVERYONE.YOU'LL SEE RIFLES IN GUN RACKS OF TRUCKS.SMALL TOWN CAFE'S WITH EXCELLANT FOOD,SERVICE AND SMILING FACE.HARD TO BEAT AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I could only imagine driving down the road and seeing all the gun racks on trucks!! I would also feel very safe seeing that

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Check out cedarpark.com. It was named one of the top ten places to live in 2007. It is also 6 miles from a shooting range.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Spend a while on this site. Then ask us for more assistance. There is a WHOLE lot of Texas that is not in comfortable commuting distance. We'll be glad to help & Welcome!

http://www.city-data.com/city/Texas.html

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
wow! thanks for all the answers! I cant believe how helpful everyone is. Its nice to see

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I'd say North East Texas. Paris, Mt. Pleasant, Mt. Vernon. Good fishing and hunting. I think the land is still reasonable. I wouldn't look much south of Lufkin. Tyler is very nice, that's where the rich folks lived during the oil boom. Longview and Kilgore are more blue collar. You'd need to get a bit out of town for good cheap land in that area

The hill country has been discovered an is nice but pricey. West Texas is cheap but as someone said pretty desolate. Vernon and Mineral Wells might be worth a look.

Feel free to ask more when you get into it. Texans are friendly and kinda proud of this place.

Piper

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
so far east texas sounds likes it winning! Its got wood and lakes

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (160user, 16gage, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,302
Posts18,525,996
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.