Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by djpaintless
..you have to give it a pretty good shove forwards to make sure that it closes completely on a round.

Take a plain jane turn bolt, set it on cocked, lift the bolt handle somewhat (like it sometimes occurs resting on a backback) and pull the trigger. Same click, same "no shot", same undangerous situation compared to the R93 (which is constructed to fire only with fully engageged lock segments).

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Marseille
Back to Blaser,

In 2003 in Europe the Blaser factory send a recall and freely changed all the trigger block cause some of early models had gone bang at the closing of the bolt!

Wrong.

The reason for the recall: The trigger unit was advertised as 100 % stainless but, as it came out, some (a few) of the rifles had been issued carbon steel pins (a QD failure). To keep the warranty, they recalled. Call it a "highly misunderstood recall because of a luxury problem".

In general: The R93 is very polarizing. That`s ok for me, I don`t say "I own a Dozen, you have to buy one yourself.

What I don`t understand is that guys disliking the rig mostly feel like missionaries trying to keep away prospective buyers.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TheBigJonson

This describes perfectly the European gun market. ... so the wannabes buy them also so they appear to be rich.

I beg your pardon - but this analysis of "THE European Gun Market" is crap.

We URP's just like to and are used to spent more money for good, sophisticated things, be it automobiles, rifles, optics...

Almost no Remchester's or Leuopld are sold here, although it would be sufficient for daylight use.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Chasseur
I'd second the views of Marseille,
that safety/cocking device ruined a shot at a bigger stag. .

The unique cocking/safety device did not ruin your shot.

It was ruined by you. So blame yourself, not the gun.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Marseille
..but that does'nt makes me un "expert".

so true.

Beeing "onesided" and spreading wrong arguments never makes up an expert(.."not a single professinal guide hunting dangerous game owns one" is a lie, btw.).

If you don`t like it, that's ok. But please refrain from false arguments.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
To Roe Deer,

No Sir since last year all the civilian barrel of the group are made on the former Sig machinery in Eckenforde in Germany you can ask to Sauer guys. The Sig group follow on the military arms barrels....I'm not one sided: i said i don't like Blaser but they're are precise and easy to take down. and that theyr owners are mostly happy whith them. But i feel surer with a KR1 from Merkel. Then if you can show me a lot of guides (even some) with Blaser as insurance (back up) rifle i will be very happy cause i ready to learn. And i maintain that Blaser had a very good advertising campaign and that their marketing managers are very good. You can love the R93 and find it the best gun ever made it's your right, but you'don't have the right to call me one sided. I also own one Sauer 202 in 9,3x62 together with a Steyr in same calber. Have only praise for them...

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
To Roe Deer again

And for the trigger give a phone call to the Blaser office and to some of the gunsmiths who had trouble with the trigger unit. One of my best friens and master gunsmith was almost killed hunting "isard" in Pyrenn�e Mountains when is R93 fired at the closing of the bolt(it was cocked)...The french distributor Kettner at this time changed the trigger block and send the rifle in Germany. It was in 2003. There're other cases but i already admit that all the block were changed free of charges and inox replaced carbon steel.

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
to Roe Deer
Sorry some words are missing: read his hunting buddy Blaser fired.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Roedeer,

When you quote me:

The unique cocking/safety device did not ruin your shot.

It was ruined by you. So blame yourself, not the gun.

you should not do it selectively. Its rather misleading when you do that. For example :

I had to use one on a guided red deer hunt and that safety/cocking device ruined a shot at a bigger stag. If you get used to it I imagine its not a problem, but I don't like them whether they are on Blasers or Krieghoffs, etc.

I specifically say in hte next sentence that IF you are used to the cocking device it is not a problem.

Last edited by Chasseur; 11/05/08.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ok, gentlemen; I think all can agree as Roe Deer stated, the R93 is polarizing. Some love it and some hate it. It doesn't seem to stir lukewarm emotions. It is very different - non-traditional - and many rifle loonys don't dig non-traditional rifles.

A very good gun writer told me he couldn't get by the looks. And that's fair. Some like 'em blond, some redhead, some tall, some wide. Personally, I don't warm up to "wide" grin.

Mine have functioned very well for me and I also have push-pull Rem 700s, model 70 clones, and a lever action and they each work.

Gdv

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
+1

I'm very happy with my set-up. My absolute favorite rifle. My first look, I laughed it off, when I had the opportunity to shoot it, I bought one the next day!

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
After all estimates and "I talk to ..." :
main part of Blaser barrels are made in Great Britain by Armalon.
www.armalon.com

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand." Bertrand Russell
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Mister Broemel,

No Armalon does'nt make barrels for all Blaser company. They make barrels for sp�cial contracts ok, the same way as some barrel makers are making (or have made) barrels for Remington or Ruger,
Browning and so on. But For Blaser as Roe Deer and i told they were made first by Sig Hammerly but since the end of 2007 two of the hammer forging machines were transfered in the Sauer plant ay Ekcernf�rde in Germany. It's not heard through grapewine but told by the marketing manager ,Mr Klotz, of Sig-Sauer during the official testing of new Sauer 303 semi automatic rifle with new model Zeiss Zpoint in Zeiss plant at Wetzlar in june 07. It's part of my job and i'm in touch with some good persons from most of European (even some US guys) hunting shooting industry and distributors so, if no one is perfect and mistake does occur i try to be the rightest i can. It will be my last post for the Blaser, i don't like them but shoot a lot but they're good rifles and most of their owners are happy with them. I going to reload some 45-70 for my old 86, this weekend going to hunt, better than talking.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We all have tastes that vary.
Prejudices are common amongst the fray of shootes based on what they like or dislike. This bias can be based on personal experience or on what they have heard by other shooters (sometimes in life it is easier to go along with the crowd, you dont have to consume any of your own time making descisions).
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Where I have the biggest problem is where minds can close to the point where it can only be believed that the evolution of the rifle action stopped in 1898.
I have several Blaser rifles and have used them on animals up to buffalo and lion.
It is the most accurate factory rifle I have been exposed to.
It travels very easily broken down and goes back to POA.
If you have two rifles they are completely interchangeable as long as you are dealing with cartridges that use the same case head types. So you can cobble one rifle together from the two in emergency situations. Although I have never had to rely on this it is of comfort on a long trip having this knowledge knowing I can "fix" my problem if one arises to keep me hunting. This is not possible to this extreme with any other rifle type that are offered at the moment.
They are very simply but they work.

You have to get over the fact that it is a "modern" design.
Things change, people and their prejudices are another thing entirely.

Last edited by blaser_guy; 11/07/08.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I am a traditionalist in most things. I had a Blaser and sold it because of safety concerns, aesthetics, a hankering for Mausers and/or pre-64 Wins, etc. I have since gone through thousands of dollars on custom guns. Some turned out great, but most have been disappointments-poor feeding, erratic shooting, will shoot only Core-lokts well (I know there are Core-lokt fans, but I won't go on a $7000 elk hunt with Core-lokts), etc. Many have had to be sent back because of one thing or another. Some have had to be rebarreled, with turnover time nearly a year. I recently got fed up and tried the Blaser again. My conclusions:
1) They are ugly.
2) They shoot.
3) They really, really shoot. My first barrel, a 300 WBY (not my favorite caliber, but already had a couple of 300 Win Mags), shoots factory 180g and 165 gr TSX loads and the 180 gr parttion well under MOA, even at 300 yards. The 200 gr partition load shoots MOA. My second barrel, a 270 Win, shot several factory loads under MOA. I have some customs that will shoot one load well, maybe two if lucky, but none have been so accurate with such a wide range of loads. There is a review, I believe in Rifle Shooter, where the author shoots a 243, and all loads tested were under MOA. This is not rare. My first iteration with Blaser was similar.
4) The trigger is the best, albeit a bit light with gloves.
5) Travel with these rifles is easy-you can not appreciate it until you try it. Put 'em into a soft double shotgun case, stuff it into the false bottom of the wheeled duffel, and you are good to go. No problem with a one bag limit.
6)The action is a bit noisy.
7)They all feed well, but are culpable for all the hijinks that can occur when shortstroking a push feed.
8) They balance well, but I prefer a bit of castoff and a cheekpiece. All stocks I've encountered come straight back.
9) If you don't like the way they shoot, you walk into the store, plunk down your money, and bam, you have a new barrel. None of this waiting for 5 months for the barrel to show up, then 4 months for the gunsmith to get around to working on it, then another 4 weeks for the coating guy to get to it, etc.
10) I don't think they are a good idea if you are the kind of guy that likes to see if he can get his 30-06 to shoot 180s at 2900 fps.
11) They aren't lying when they say you can take the rifle down in about 20 seconds, put it back together in 30 secs, and have it shoot to the same point of aim, with absolutely no variation.
12) They are dramatically compact because of no receiver. In elk camp one year I had a 30-06, and another guy had a 340 WBy with a 26 inch barrel and some funky muzzle break. His rifle was over 12 inches longer than mine. My Blaser in 300 WBY, with a 25.6 inch barrel, is about one inch longer than my standard 270 WSM with a 22 inch barrel.
13 The safety takes a while to get used to, but is the best IMO.

Hope this helps. They aren't perfect, but they're pretty darn good, and you WILL have a rifle that shoots. They are not for tinkerers, aggressive handloaders, or wildcatters. Think about the heartache some of the Kimber guys on this board have had (my experience with Kimbers wasn't great either, even after accurizing and other work). $2700 for a synthetic stocked rifle that you know will work really isn't all that bad...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by TheBigJonson

This describes perfectly the European gun market. In Spain one must be pretty knowledgeable on guns to pass the state licensing test. The weapon must be used for specific activites like hunting and there are stringent rules for keeping the weapon and ammunition for it.

These rules and the cost of belonging to a gun club (usually some family who allows paying members on their land) prohibits the normal citizen from participating. So it becomes a rich man's activity. These guys can afford any rifle they want, so the wannabes buy them also so they appear to be rich.

I was born in Spain, I am 50 years old I have lived all my life in Spain, I have hunted since I can remember, just like my father did and just like my son does, and I could not disagree more with you...

-The exam that you have to pass to get the firerearms licence is a very simple procedure.

-The stringent rules that you refer to, for keeping a firearm and its ammunition, are limited to keeping them in a gunsafe while at home.

-The idea that hunting is a rich man's privilege is completely outdated,

-and your comment on the people that may buy Blasers to appear rich is too simplistic and not exclusive of the Blaser rifles.

B.Berg

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I don't think I would be bragging that your benevolent government deigns to allow you to keep firearms so long as you keep them under lock and key so, they don't sneak out and club baby seals or something similarly distressing. How insulting. Dear god.

And it happens in this country too. But generally only in states that eat from the same trough of [bleep] as the Europeans. California first springs to mind.

I hope you enjoy your alpine jaunts for your spiral headed goat-like things. I'll stay here and keep my guns under the bed, or under the truck seat or wherever I (not the government) chooses. And I wouldn't trade for every blauser ever molded. Or however they make them.

Good day.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
eldave,
I am not bragging.
Your comments are out of place and I can't see why you have to write in such an obnoxious and vulgarian style.
B.Berg

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Man. When the doctor said not to try to stay awake on ambien he wasn't kidding. My apologies to all, and to BBerg in particular. I think this thread has about run it's course anyway.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 71 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,455 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,682
Posts18,493,903
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.