Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
About time they took action 19 wolves were taken out the past 3 days,and 27 total! I am very thankful for this strong action against these predators they are flat wiping out our deer in NW Montana,And causing tremendous loss for hard working ranchers.We had one of the worst hunting seasons on record.Deer numbers have been declining rapidly.To many wolves!!! It's about time. Full story in today's Daily Interlake if you guys want to check it out.

1 and done
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good, good!
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
could have been hunters picking them off with tags in their pockets and actually earning money for the state.....[bleep] anti's rather use tax dollars regardless of cost.......

Williams noted that officials considered nonlethal means early in the process to deter further depredations." But they concluded that there were no nonlethal methods that would be effective.

in other words......at this point only way to control numbers is shooting the SOB's.....why in the [bleep] cant i put in for a tag for one?

Last edited by rattler; 12/06/08.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Proof positive. Nature will balance nature.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for posting the Link Steve ! Yeh they should let hunters take them instead of a federal trapper shooting all of them.

1 and done
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why the hell are we having "Wildlife officials" killing wolves? This is such a waste of taxpayer dollars. One announcement on TV and you would have lines of dudes waiting to pay big bucks to hunt those wolves. The government could actually MAKE money off of this.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rattler
could have been hunters picking them off with tags in their pockets and actually earning money for the state.....[bleep] anti's rather use tax dollars regardless of cost.......

Williams noted that officials considered nonlethal means early in the process to deter further depredations." But they concluded that there were no nonlethal methods that would be effective.

AGREED!

in other words......at this point only way to control numbers is shooting the SOB's.....why in the [bleep] cant i put in for a tag for one?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Why the hell are we having "Wildlife officials" killing wolves? This is such a waste of taxpayer dollars. One announcement on TV and you would have lines of dudes waiting to pay big bucks to hunt those wolves. The government could actually MAKE money off of this.

+1

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not just the gov't. There are a lot of dollars to be had when GQ Public heads to the field. It's a boost to a lot of businesses, from food (I don't mean wolf sausage) & lodging all the way to the rug maker.

Steve

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last winter I wrote an article about the wolf fiasco, here's a bottom line as far as sportsmen's dollars wasted.
The wolf program in the Northwest has cost 24 million in 13 years as of Jan 2008; we had 1534 official animals. That breaks down to 15.5 grand per wolf alive at that time. Pretty spendy.
So the big bucks for a wolf tag for a Montana resident were 8 for the conservation tag and 19 for the kill tag. 27 bucks. I think THAT really freaks the greens, only 27 bucks for a 15 thousand dollar rug?
I'm glad they killed out the Hog Heaven curs. But I would rather have done so myself.
By the way, I haven't heard this confirmed, but I did hear a wild rumor worth repeating. Couple guys from town were out and about, and scoped a wolf, right?
Well, a few days later, along comes a letter, "Dear So and So, thanks for not shooting our wolf." Now, if that's true, is that a creepy thought or what?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Montana (and western) hunters, guides, ranchers, landowners, et al need to start a vigorous campaign to demand that wolves be listed as game animals like cougars and bears.

Then "maybe" the wolves would begin to be properly "managed" if we have to live with the goddam beasts! And other species like deer, elk, moose, and big horn sheep would also have a chance to be properly managed as well.

I still think a pack of wolves needs to eb established in Central Park, NY. wink

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A big challenge for sportsman taking wolves though in NW Montana is you may not even see one for several seasons.Many locals that hunt and fish often have never seen a wolf. These wildlife officers are in a helicopter so they can find them.A hunter is on foot and may never even get a chance at one, in this part of the state.So even if we got lucky enough to be able to get drawn etc the chances of filling a tag without bait or a helicopter would be very small to say the least.

1 and done
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to confess that I find the whole incident rather sad...I don't doubt it needed doing, but it just shows there isn't enough true wilderness out there for the wolf to survive without the intervention of man.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pete, wolves kill their competitiors, and humans kill wolves. There had never been much of a live and let live attitude. The Indians didn't have that much good to say about them as they were killing their food at a faster rate. Wolves wear out their welcome pretty fast.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
They have long worn out their welcome here.They are really impacting wether a guy fills his freezer or not anymore! Alot of the areas I could easily see 30-40 deer a day hunting, are wiped out lucky to see 1 or 2 deer a day anymore.We have no use for wolves in NW Montana,nobody I know wants them here...

Last edited by highridge1; 12/06/08.

1 and done
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by highridge1
A big challenge for sportsman taking wolves though in NW Montana is you may not even see one for several seasons.Many locals that hunt and fish often have never seen a wolf. These wildlife officers are in a helicopter so they can find them.A hunter is on foot and may never even get a chance at one, in this part of the state.So even if we got lucky enough to be able to get drawn etc the chances of filling a tag without bait or a helicopter would be very small to say the least.

still would like to be given the chance........after the season closes if the F&G needs to step in and take more, so be it, but give hunters a chance.......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
----------------------------------------------------------------

Agreed!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My elk spots west of the Fisher River out of Libby are pretty well converted to wolf habitat, and the elk are almost gone. Fish and Game had the nerve to tell me there were no wolves in that area...BS! I've seen them and there are tracks all over, even in the roads, so F&G has no excuse for not knowing they are there...which I'm sure they do.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You are correct they are all over now,fisher river,thompson river,kila area,marion area.Wolf tracks all over main roads.It is very frustrating they are doing catastrophic damage to the deer and elk population! I hope my kids have something left to hunt and provide quality meat for there families..

1 and done
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (219 Wasp, 219DW, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 1,653 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,996
Posts18,520,320
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.