-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hey, my 23" tubed .284 does 140s at 3k. See what I mean? But I would't have a Rifles Inc. Lightweight Strata if the Montana was available in a lefty. When I finally figured out what was important to me in a rifle, being a lefty, it became necessary to build it.

Anyway, they all work to one degree or another.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by goodnews

+1,
Nice to be able to have choices!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by backwoodsbrian
I bought a new rifle this fall and wanted either 300 win mag or 300 wsm. The velocities between the two are very close. I ended up going with the short mag for a couple of reasons. 1, the short mag tends to have higher velocities than the 300 win mag on every ballistic chart that I've looked at. 2, the short mag headspace goes off of the shoulder not the belt, which tends to make it more accurate. 3, scope mounting is made easier with the short action vs. long action.
I bought a Remington 700 SPS stainless and put Leupold VX-II on top. I loaded up some Sierra 165 SPBT's with 66.5 grains of W760. I can cover a four shot group with a quarter @ 100 yds. The remington is straight out of the box! I am very happy with both the gun and the caliber. I was on the verge of loosing sleep back when I was trying to decide which .30 caliber to buy.....I'm sleeping like a baby now!
P.S. Not to make anybody mad, but in my opinon a 30-06 shouldn't even come up when talking about 300 win mag or 300 wsm.....it just dosent compare!

1. You must be looking at marketing charts for WSM. The load manuals make it clear that there is a distinct advantage for the WM when pressures and barrel lengths are equal--especially in the heavier weights where magnums are meant to excel.

2. Any good reloader sizes brass to headspace off the neck and not the belt. However the belt is there for using factory loads and will help in bore alignment when the neck is pushed back too far whereas a WSM will just lay on the neck and be out of bore alignment. The WSM has a long way to go to collect all the trophies the WM has earned in long range shooting competition.

3. When using a typical Leupold-sized scope the long vs. shorter action is of no consequence.

As for accuracy testing with any magnum--100 yards is just getting started. What will it group at 300 or 500 yards? Groups that appear good at 100 can open significantly at longer ranges. I shot my model 700 BDL in WM (which I tuned and hand-loaded) at 1,000 yards in the sporter class competition with the first 3 shots going into 6-3/4", the 4th opening to 11" and the rest spreading from the heat in a sporter class barrel. I still took 5th place in a Williamsport PA shoot--and that was with the factory wood stock which I only had bedded and free-floated. It would be hard to wow me with the inherent WSM accuracy argument.

I have nothing against the WSM, I just don't see it as being on par with the true 30 magnums.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by goodnews

+1,
Nice to be able to have choices!

Amen to that, and speaking of choices I have some 270 bullets set aside for you.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Dober!

I've been meaning to ask you something.
Rancho Loco was cool and took me out to Logan a couple weeks ago. Pretty sure I'm gonna join up.
Anyway, how wide is the 430 yard gong? Must be fairly big?
It was the first steel I've ever shot. boom...pause...thwap Lots of fun!

Last edited by SamOlson; 12/09/08.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to have the measurement written down, then they changed the gong and made it one really big butt gong (note I didn't say bong...)!

We should meet out at Logan one of these days and for darn sure lets get you signed up and coming to the quarterly meets with me and we'll get some things done on the rifle range that's needed to be done for a long time!

I'll even buy the pollo on the way home at the Oasis on your first time out.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

I'll even buy the pollo on the way home at the Oasis on your first time out.

Dober

I'll have the Iceberg Lettuce Salad (grin).

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds good!

Bong rips and gong hits?

I'm entirely new to the range deal but things seemed pretty 'chill' when we were out there. It wasn't real busy though.

Is the 270 Win with 140 Partitions at 2850fps acceptable? Should work with Leupold dots okay?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sam it'll work with dotz easily, I set mine up yesterday in a matter of minutes with the 140 Horn.

You can slow it down to 2500 and make it work or gas it to 3500 and make the dotz work. That's the beauty of dotz, you can make em work with about any combo going.

I was there 2x in the last week and both time pretty much had the range to myself. Once the permits come out in July/Aug the range gets a bit busy till hunt season opens. Other than that it there isn't much going on. Most of the people might a hundred or two hundred rounds and year and dats about it.

Good deal for us, and if you really want it to yourself try going out when the weather is really in the toilet. I do that a lot on purpose to shoot in bad conditions and there isn't much for company.

Lets get out there after the New Year and meet up a couple of times a month to pound those gongs. (buy yourself a can of black spray paint so you can paint and easily see all your hits).

Later

Dober

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They do have the greens going don't they Mac... whistle

Dober

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I like shooting almost as much as hunting anymore Mark.

Sounds like a good idea meeting out at Logan. I'll keep in touch with John. You'll like his Shamu.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fer the record, at the speeds I mentioned for .325 wsm, primers be flat <grin>...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by RyanScott
300 mags are more power than I need for most things and not as much power as I want for other things. I reckon this is true for many people whether they agree or not.

Ryan: Maybe so in a theoretical sense,but if you count the number of big game animals, WORLDWIDE,that cannot be taken handily and easily,at long or short distance,with a 300 magnum,you will be well under 10;and most of us will never get to hunt them anyway. smile

Not saying that isn't true, but I've taken a .375 after moose and brown bear and never felt the need for a .300 WinMag. By the same token I would rather have something smaller for deer--my next project is putting a .257 Wby barrel on a Sako action.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks Bob. I've sent you a PM to the same effect.

Maybe there's something to the mag"numb" part.......likely the several that I own and shoot put more $ in my surgeons pockets than a .243 would ever do over the long turn.................grin.

Last edited by magnumb; 12/10/08.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes the 300 Winbag is on the way out. Only old fogeys that like to
remininess keep them around.

I've had a 700 SS 24" win mag barrel for sale now for a year and can't sell it.

$30.00 shipped, any takers? Come on now don't fall all over yourself buying it.

Call RCBS and they'll tell you which die set is most popular.
300 WSM or 300 Winbag.

The 300 Winbag is dying and I could not be happier. NO more British belted rounds.
The WSM has an all American USA pedigree.

The 308 Norma Mag would have been a better choice. The extra length of the 300 winnie is a waste not to mention the girdle it wears and short neck. It's an ugly hag who had it's day.
Terrible design.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Two friends of mine have bought 300 Winnys in the last year. I bought a Winchester Model 70 Classic in 300 Win last year also. Not sure if it will stay that way. I already have a Remington 700 BDL 300 Win I bought 25 years ago that still shoots tight groups. If I'm asked what rifle to buy if that person is only ever buying one, if that is at all possible, the 300 Win is always first on the list. Not that other 30 calibre "magnums" aren't as good just a preference and confidence I have in it. If a 2 1/2" Ruger case had a thirty caliber well my mind could be changed.

Jim

Just my opinion ......and I have so few.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jim: I hear through the rumor mill that 375 Ruger "basic brass" is going to become available; so the real whacky rifle nuts among us can buy it and neck it to all sorts of screwy things, even Jeff's funky 8mm grin

We could name it the 8mm Olsen Indigo Express and everyone would know precisely what it was...next evolutionary step up from the 325 WSM....
whistle

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is the .300WM on its way out? I don't care one way or another, but I doubt it.

Several years back, when I wanted a .30 in a mag, I chose the WM over the WSM. When I wanted a .30 in a shorty I chose the .308. Somewhere in there I chose three .30-06's as well.

No regrets. The WM is a keeper as is the .308. One of the -06's was purchased as a wedding present, still waiting on the wedding, and one may get given to Older Brother (or not, TBD). Will undoubtedly keep at least one -06, though. Don't see a WSM anything in my future.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I would love to have access to a range such as you guys describe. I can see that with a few good friends one could pass a few minutes there ringing the gongs and generally calling your bud lucky each time he did grin

Basically, I have a farmer's 500 yard path bordering a line fence; he and his boys are shooters too so it works but not like a formal range.

There is only a 300 yarder and it's 50 miles away just south of Sioux City but I may still look into it. There's nothing like busting primers to stay sharp whether it's a .3oo Vanilla or a .300 Chocolate or your choice.

Sorry for the aside.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Were I designing a "Magnum" from scratch it wouldn't have a belt for sure... however, it wouldn't be short and fat like the WSM/SAUM's either. I design it about exactly like the Ruger 375.

OTOH, the 300 WM is so good why bother...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 61 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,799
Posts18,516,200
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.