Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
It's my paralegal's birthday and she is taking my wife and daughters to their first Cap's Hockey playoff game.

I'm a bachelor tonight and I just may go get a steak and try Mickey's recipe. Either that or some carry-out Thai since I'm a lazy punk!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

GB4

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You won't be disappointed with a steak prepared that way. Just follow his directions.

Sassy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sassy
Olive Garden's Steak Gorgonzola is awesome! Absolutely loved it when I had it there. First time I ever had Gorgonzola on anything I am now addicted to those green and blue cheeses.

Sassy,
Me too, love those green and blue cheeses.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by isaac
If he won't...I will!

We would both give anything to have dinner with you tonight! Someday it will happen...

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sassy
Olive Garden's Steak Gorgonzola is awesome! Absolutely loved it when I had it there. First time I ever had Gorgonzola on anything I am now addicted to those green and blue cheeses.

Beef and bleu cheese or gorgonzona is a wowza combination. Even on a plain old hamburger... if a restaurant offers a bleu cheese burger, I'm on it! laugh

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Bleu cheese is for elitists.

You melt some Velveeta on that bad-boy and you'll know isaac heaven!

Last edited by isaac; 12/10/08.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dude!
eek

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You melt some Velveeta on that bad-boy and you'll know isaac heaven!

I'm with 'ya, Bob. I love Velveeta enough to just slice it and eat it by itself. It reminds me of being a little kid. smile

BTW, if you're putting Velveeta on the burger, throw on a few strips of bacon (not too crispy) for me as well...

Penny

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
BTW, if you're putting Velveeta on the burger, throw on a few strips of bacon (not too crispy) for me as well...

With onion and mayo and I'm all yours!

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We're compatible!!!! grin cool

Penny

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's my paralegal's birthday and she is taking my wife and daughters to their first Cap's Hockey playoff game.

The Caps must be really good if they are in the playoffs already. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Call me an elitist,
but I dearly love blue cheese or swiss cheese on a burger.

BTW, all this food talk is making me hungry!!!

James Elroy Flecker

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Ooops, sorry. Goes to show how much I know about the sport.

Boston tonight!

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a thing wrong with Velvetta. It's good stuff too. But I don't think I would put it on a nice steak. Hamburger I would put it on anytime along with the bacon and onion. I would use mustard instead of the mayo though.

Last edited by Sassy; 12/10/08.

Sassy

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've done the steak in the oven thing and it came out really well. I heat the cast-iron skillet on the stove until the oil is good and hot, then do the searing thing - I have found that you need to be careful as it will sear more than you might want very quickly, then transfer to the oven. I have found that it is easy to over-cook by leaving it too long. (I like mine a bit under-done as opposed to a bit over-done.) Someone mentioned the folly of attempting to get a decent do with a cold steak. That is very, very true. I would add that the best way to ruin any steak is to thaw it in the microwave - might as well just remove it from the microwave and throw it out the back door. Even walking past a microwave while carrying a frozen steak will ruin it. This cannot be emphasized strongly enough!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 340boy
Speaking of steak,
I had one of the better steaks in quite some time yesterday at The Olive Garden, of all places!

It was the Steak Gorgenzola(sp?) Alfredo.

It was really good!

Yep. very good steak. My wife's favorite steak, from there.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We've done the pan fry thing too. But we do maybe 2 minutes on each side and then eat the steak. Its just right. Put it in the oven and it'll be past rare by far.

On the pit a few minutes each side is even better. Had one last Sat at the deer camp.... and the remainder last night. Great.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hey mick,

you can skip the oven altogether, like this....

1] garlic powder, and black pepper a steak and let it sit under wax paper until approx room temp...

2] put a well seasoned cast iron skillet on a vigorous medium high fire and preheat until a drop of water dances on the surface...

3] without any oil or grease place steak in the center of the frying pan - steak will stick to the pan instantly...

4] allow steak to cook on first side until it "unsticks" or "frees" with out help... ok to gently try and lift it, but do not tear the steak to get it free...

5] when steak "frees" from the frying pan, turn with tongs and cook reverse side for approx same time as first side....

this will generally produce a "medium" steak... nicely browned with a pink middle.... and as juicy as you could ask for...

i was taught this method by mr john sumrell of the cumberland knife and gun shop, fayetteville, n.c. some 30 years ago...
i have enjoyed it many times, and enjoy the look on unbelievers faces when they take their first bite.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On an industrial scale with a continuous line, you would do something similar

The steak, or chicken, or whatever is usually sent over a gas flame and seared at 1600 degrees for a few seconds and then sent into a steam oven to cook the product. Steam would work a little quicker an oven, because the steam transmits the heat quicker than air. The searing is only there to put the grill marks on the meat. "Sealing in flavor" through searing is probably a myth. Those char marks though, do have a flavor of their own. A little burn goes a long way to making the total package.

I used to work in a factory that did grilled meat like this and then quick froze them for restaurant chains, so that all you had to do was re-heat them.

I'll tell you something: You've never had wings, burgers, rib sandwiches, etc. like the stuff you got at the end of that line just before it hits the freezer. I was friends with the engineers. I would get a call to come out to Line 7 immediately. When I got there, it was a party with all the line crew and the engineers chowing down as fast as they could before maintenance could fix the problem and resume the line. You had to eat fast before the govt. inspector came by. Sometimes she'd catch chicken bones in the gutter and want to know how they got there. Nobody knew anything, but even she could see the barbecue sauce on everyone's face.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't have enough teeth left for chewing and can't swallow solid food anyway, so I'll have to let you guys enjoy those steaks for me.

I used to do roasts in a pressure cooker, where it's absolutely necessary to sear-in the juices first. Then the high pressure forces even heat through the meat for whatever desired level of even "doneness" throughout, without drying it out or over-cooking the surfaces.

One night, I couldn't sear the roast � bone high-centered it and wouldn't let the meat touch the iron. So I browned that sucker with a Bernz-O-Matic torch, even around the edges. Completely sealed it. I was amazed to see how long it took for a hot flame, applied directly to the meat, to "paint" it as brown as I wanted it.

That was one juicy, tasty, tender roast! I did a bunch of 'em that way afterward, and they were all good.

The hot oven would, like the pressure cooker, heat a steak evenly from surface to center. Just don't slight the searing if you appreciate juiciness.

A novel variation with steaks is to
(a) slit 'em deep, with about an inch between slits running one way on one side (let's say "east to west"),
(b) turn 'em over and slit 'em the same way but "north to south,"
(c) drape 'em over a rolling-pin to spread the slits open,
and
(d) brown 'em with the torch, "painting" the brown deep into the slits.
Then
(e} pop 'em in the oven to cook 'em through.

This procedure takes a while, of course, but don't knock it if you ain't tried it!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

345 members (16penny, 14idaho, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 47 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,991
Posts18,481,100
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.