Home
Posted By: MColeman On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
I read recently about how big steak places actually cook their steaks. It goes something like this:

Preheat your oven to 450*
Take an oven proof skillet and put a little oil in it and get it HOT. Season your steak as you like it and then put it in the hot skillet and sear it a couple of minutes per side to seal in the juices. Then move it to the oven and let it cook 5-7 minutes for rare, 8-10 minutes for medium and so on.

I tried it and it was the best steak I remember ever eating. I buy my steaks (rib-eyes) at Sam's in Montgomery and they are huge. They cost less than $8/pound and are delicious.

Does anybody else cook their steaks this way? I may never use my grill again.
Posted By: isaac Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
Oven heat for a great cut of steak seems so wrong to me,Mick!
Posted By: Sassy Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
But if you close the lid on your grill you are essentially making it into an oven.
Posted By: Barak's Womn Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
Now you've got me wanting steak for dinner tonight! I wonder if I could get Barak to take me out....???? confused

Penny
Posted By: 340boy Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
A good tasting oven cooked steak?

Whodathunkit!(not me, I am a grill man myself)
But, with direct flame instead of dry heat!
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn
Now you've got me wanting steak for dinner tonight! I wonder if I could get Barak to take me out....???? confused

Penny

If he won't...I will!
Posted By: 3sixbits Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
Originally Posted by MColeman
I read recently about how big steak places actually cook their steaks. It goes something like this:

Take an oven proof skillet and put a little oil in it and get it HOT. Season your steak as you like it and then put it in the hot skillet and sear it a couple of minutes per side to seal in the juices. Then move it to the oven and let it cook 5-7 minutes for rare, 8-10 minutes for medium and so on.

I tried it and it was the best steak I remember ever eating. I buy my steaks (rib-eyes) at Sam's in Montgomery and they are huge. They cost less than $8/pound and are delicious.

I do the same with a slight variation. I use olive oil in the pan, saute a few crushed garlic cloves in the oil, remove the cloves before they burn. Do as you describe the rest of the way.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
I spent lots of time in front of a grill in a large chain and we never did them like that. Always on the grill... We were just good at it after cutting and cooking up hundreds of slabs of beef and fish every night.

If we ever did need to finish something off we used the salamanders - basically broilers. Ovens were never used on the line during open hours.
Posted By: MColeman Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
Originally Posted by isaac
Oven heat for a great cut of steak seems so wrong to me,Mick!

Did to me, too, Bob, but I promise you that it's a great way to cook a steak. When you go to most steakhouses that's the way they cook them.

Try it and if you don't like it I'll pay for the steak. How's that for a deal? You have the word of an soon to be ex-insurance agent on it. That's 3 clicks above the word of a barrister, you know. wink
Mickey, that's the way we used to do our steaks when I had my restaurant and I still do them that way.

If a steak is done properly on a grill it is really good. I've had too many over charred under done steaks from a grill not by my hand either or GH's. Gotta couple of brothers who think they are grill masters that haven't the foggiest idea of how to grill a good steak.

Originally Posted by Barak's Womn

Penny

Get a couple of steaks and cook them using this method. There are many benefits:

1. You don't have to fight traffic
2. You don't have to eat a meal listening to other people talk on their cell phones or,
3. Listen to their loud bratty children
4. You save money and
5. You don't have to put up with dawdling service (re: Lonesome Dove) from some young idiot that calls y'all 'guys' and best of all,
6. You can eat in your skivvies if you're so minded (unless Mr. O'Reilly goes to restaurants in his skivvies then this is no advantage of your old way of doing things.
Posted By: mathman Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
I've had too many over charred under done steaks from a grill not by my hand

I'm sure you know this, but I'll mention it for others. The way to avoid over charred yet under done is to avoid cooking cold steaks.
Originally Posted by Sassy
Mickey, that's the way we used to do our steaks when I had my restaurant and I still do them that way.

If a steak is done properly on a grill it is really good. I've had too many over charred under done steaks from a grill not by my hand either or GH's. Gotta couple of brothers who think they are grill masters that haven't the foggiest idea of how to grill a good steak.

Then you know I don't speak with a forked tongue. Steaks done this way heap big good!
That's 3 clicks above the word of a barrister, you know

More like 5 but I'll give it a go. I hate having to set over our back yard grill when the weather is horrible in Jan/Feb.

I like 3sixbits thoughts,as well! I'll try it,Mick!
Posted By: DARBY Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
That is the classic method for doing a steak with a cast iron skillet - heat the skillet thoroughly in a 500-degree oven, put it over a hot flame, sear - brand - the steak on each side, then put it back in the oven for 5 minutes for medium rare. Remove it from the skillet and let it stand under foil for ten minutes. wink
Speaking of steak,
I had one of the better steaks in quite some time yesterday at The Olive Garden, of all places!

It was the Steak Gorgenzola(sp?) Alfredo.

It was really good!
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
Mickey,

When the wind is howling and it's too cold to grill this is what I do.

Rib-eye Steak 1 1/2" Thick (room temperature)
Canola Oil To Coat
Salt and Pepper (or your favorite steak seasoning)

Place a 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees.

When oven reaches temperature, remove pan and place on range over high heat. Coat steak lightly with oil and season both sides with a generously with salt and pepper.

Immediately place steak in the middle of hot, dry pan. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium rare steaks. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns. For anything past medium just go to Burger King as the steak will be ruined.)

Remove steak from pan, cover loosely with foil, rest for 2-3 minutes and enjoy. I still can't get over how juicey and flavorful they are.

Mike

Olive Garden's Steak Gorgonzola is awesome! Absolutely loved it when I had it there. First time I ever had Gorgonzola on anything I am now addicted to those green and blue cheeses.
All this steak talk and I'm fixing leftovers for dinner tonite. I call it the GH surprise dinner.
It's my paralegal's birthday and she is taking my wife and daughters to their first Cap's Hockey playoff game.

I'm a bachelor tonight and I just may go get a steak and try Mickey's recipe. Either that or some carry-out Thai since I'm a lazy punk!
You won't be disappointed with a steak prepared that way. Just follow his directions.
Olive Garden's Steak Gorgonzola is awesome! Absolutely loved it when I had it there. First time I ever had Gorgonzola on anything I am now addicted to those green and blue cheeses.

Sassy,
Me too, love those green and blue cheeses.
If he won't...I will!

We would both give anything to have dinner with you tonight! Someday it will happen...

Penny

Beef and bleu cheese or gorgonzona is a wowza combination. Even on a plain old hamburger... if a restaurant offers a bleu cheese burger, I'm on it! laugh

Penny
Bleu cheese is for elitists.

You melt some Velveeta on that bad-boy and you'll know isaac heaven!
Dude!
eek
You melt some Velveeta on that bad-boy and you'll know isaac heaven!

I'm with 'ya, Bob. I love Velveeta enough to just slice it and eat it by itself. It reminds me of being a little kid. smile

BTW, if you're putting Velveeta on the burger, throw on a few strips of bacon (not too crispy) for me as well...

Penny
BTW, if you're putting Velveeta on the burger, throw on a few strips of bacon (not too crispy) for me as well...

With onion and mayo and I'm all yours!
We're compatible!!!! grin cool

Penny
It's my paralegal's birthday and she is taking my wife and daughters to their first Cap's Hockey playoff game.

The Caps must be really good if they are in the playoffs already. smile
Call me an elitist,
but I dearly love blue cheese or swiss cheese on a burger.

BTW, all this food talk is making me hungry!!!
Ooops, sorry. Goes to show how much I know about the sport.

Boston tonight!
Not a thing wrong with Velvetta. It's good stuff too. But I don't think I would put it on a nice steak. Hamburger I would put it on anytime along with the bacon and onion. I would use mustard instead of the mayo though.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
I've done the steak in the oven thing and it came out really well. I heat the cast-iron skillet on the stove until the oil is good and hot, then do the searing thing - I have found that you need to be careful as it will sear more than you might want very quickly, then transfer to the oven. I have found that it is easy to over-cook by leaving it too long. (I like mine a bit under-done as opposed to a bit over-done.) Someone mentioned the folly of attempting to get a decent do with a cold steak. That is very, very true. I would add that the best way to ruin any steak is to thaw it in the microwave - might as well just remove it from the microwave and throw it out the back door. Even walking past a microwave while carrying a frozen steak will ruin it. This cannot be emphasized strongly enough!
Posted By: tzone Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
Originally Posted by 340boy
Speaking of steak,
I had one of the better steaks in quite some time yesterday at The Olive Garden, of all places!

It was the Steak Gorgenzola(sp?) Alfredo.

It was really good!

Yep. very good steak. My wife's favorite steak, from there.
Posted By: rost495 Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
We've done the pan fry thing too. But we do maybe 2 minutes on each side and then eat the steak. Its just right. Put it in the oven and it'll be past rare by far.

On the pit a few minutes each side is even better. Had one last Sat at the deer camp.... and the remainder last night. Great.

Jeff
Posted By: johnw Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
hey mick,

you can skip the oven altogether, like this....

1] garlic powder, and black pepper a steak and let it sit under wax paper until approx room temp...

2] put a well seasoned cast iron skillet on a vigorous medium high fire and preheat until a drop of water dances on the surface...

3] without any oil or grease place steak in the center of the frying pan - steak will stick to the pan instantly...

4] allow steak to cook on first side until it "unsticks" or "frees" with out help... ok to gently try and lift it, but do not tear the steak to get it free...

5] when steak "frees" from the frying pan, turn with tongs and cook reverse side for approx same time as first side....

this will generally produce a "medium" steak... nicely browned with a pink middle.... and as juicy as you could ask for...

i was taught this method by mr john sumrell of the cumberland knife and gun shop, fayetteville, n.c. some 30 years ago...
i have enjoyed it many times, and enjoy the look on unbelievers faces when they take their first bite.....
Posted By: shaman Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
On an industrial scale with a continuous line, you would do something similar

The steak, or chicken, or whatever is usually sent over a gas flame and seared at 1600 degrees for a few seconds and then sent into a steam oven to cook the product. Steam would work a little quicker an oven, because the steam transmits the heat quicker than air. The searing is only there to put the grill marks on the meat. "Sealing in flavor" through searing is probably a myth. Those char marks though, do have a flavor of their own. A little burn goes a long way to making the total package.

I used to work in a factory that did grilled meat like this and then quick froze them for restaurant chains, so that all you had to do was re-heat them.

I'll tell you something: You've never had wings, burgers, rib sandwiches, etc. like the stuff you got at the end of that line just before it hits the freezer. I was friends with the engineers. I would get a call to come out to Line 7 immediately. When I got there, it was a party with all the line crew and the engineers chowing down as fast as they could before maintenance could fix the problem and resume the line. You had to eat fast before the govt. inspector came by. Sometimes she'd catch chicken bones in the gutter and want to know how they got there. Nobody knew anything, but even she could see the barbecue sauce on everyone's face.

Posted By: Ken Howell Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
Don't have enough teeth left for chewing and can't swallow solid food anyway, so I'll have to let you guys enjoy those steaks for me.

I used to do roasts in a pressure cooker, where it's absolutely necessary to sear-in the juices first. Then the high pressure forces even heat through the meat for whatever desired level of even "doneness" throughout, without drying it out or over-cooking the surfaces.

One night, I couldn't sear the roast � bone high-centered it and wouldn't let the meat touch the iron. So I browned that sucker with a Bernz-O-Matic torch, even around the edges. Completely sealed it. I was amazed to see how long it took for a hot flame, applied directly to the meat, to "paint" it as brown as I wanted it.

That was one juicy, tasty, tender roast! I did a bunch of 'em that way afterward, and they were all good.

The hot oven would, like the pressure cooker, heat a steak evenly from surface to center. Just don't slight the searing if you appreciate juiciness.

A novel variation with steaks is to
(a) slit 'em deep, with about an inch between slits running one way on one side (let's say "east to west"),
(b) turn 'em over and slit 'em the same way but "north to south,"
(c) drape 'em over a rolling-pin to spread the slits open,
and
(d) brown 'em with the torch, "painting" the brown deep into the slits.
Then
(e} pop 'em in the oven to cook 'em through.

This procedure takes a while, of course, but don't knock it if you ain't tried it!
Originally Posted by johnw
hey mick,

you can skip the oven altogether, like this....

1] garlic powder, and black pepper a steak and let it sit under wax paper until approx room temp...

2] put a well seasoned cast iron skillet on a vigorous medium high fire and preheat until a drop of water dances on the surface...

3] without any oil or grease place steak in the center of the frying pan - steak will stick to the pan instantly...

4] allow steak to cook on first side until it "unsticks" or "frees" with out help... ok to gently try and lift it, but do not tear the steak to get it free...

5] when steak "frees" from the frying pan, turn with tongs and cook reverse side for approx same time as first side....

this will generally produce a "medium" steak... nicely browned with a pink middle.... and as juicy as you could ask for...

i was taught this method by mr john sumrell of the cumberland knife and gun shop, fayetteville, n.c. some 30 years ago...
i have enjoyed it many times, and enjoy the look on unbelievers faces when they take their first bite.....

John, While I've never done it I have seen people cook a steak simply by laying on a bed of hot coals at a campfire. If anybody ever tries this be sure the fire was not made with any resinous wood such a pine or cedar.
Posted By: Cheesehunter Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
This is a great way to cook a steak. However, I doubt this is the way the big steak houses cook them. It is just not practical:
The different cuts of meat vary in cooking times to get them to the desired doness - and can even vary from one ribeye to the next. For a grillman to keep track of the all the steaks cooking at the same time in ovens is a nightmare, and will result in steaks being over cooked.
Commercial grills run much hotter than home models, and can be set to have a hot side to sear, and a slightly cooler side to finish on. All there in front of the grillman to keep an eye on.

I've tried it like that, after reading an article similar to the one you describe. I liked it, but it's just as perfect on the gas grill, so that's how I usually do it. I heat it up to over 600 degrees (cover down) and throw it on for about four minutes on each side (cover down). Nice and charred on the outside, but rare inside.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
Originally Posted by Cheesehunter
This is a great way to cook a steak. However, I doubt this is the way the big steak houses cook them. It is just not practical:
The different cuts of meat vary in cooking times to get them to the desired doness - and can even vary from one ribeye to the next. For a grillman to keep track of the all the steaks cooking at the same time in ovens is a nightmare, and will result in steaks being over cooked.
Commercial grills run much hotter than home models, and can be set to have a hot side to sear, and a slightly cooler side to finish on. All there in front of the grillman to keep an eye on.

I tried to point this out already...
Now I'm getting hungry for a blackened steak. If you have a turkey cooker, try this:
Make some cajun blackening seasoning (I prefer Paul Prudhomme's recipe), or buy Tone's Cajun (not salty), and get a cast iron skillet blazing hot - it's hot enough when it turns grey on the inside. Now drag your steak through melted butter, then dip in the seasoning. Gently put it in the skillet. The steak almost levetates. Lotsa smoke here, which is why it isn't done inside the house. Turn when almost half done, and let it cook for the remainder. A small slice of cold butter on top of the steak once plated completes it.
Posted By: johnw Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
If anybody ever tries this be sure the fire was not made with any resinous wood such a pine or cedar.

yeah, buddy!!!.....
Or treated lumber...
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Oh, I believe you. I was repeating what the article said that I read. I have no personal experience in cooking for the public and readily defer to the ones who are the experts. That aside, the method I tried worked really well and it's perfect for cooking one or two steaks in my experience.
Posted By: Borealis Bob Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
I believe the better steak houses (if not using a grill) do their steaks in an oven with at least 600 degrees...not possible at home.

A trick I learned some years back is to season the steaks evenly (and not too lightly) with kosher salt. This increases the effective temperature, or somesuch, and lends itself to searing the meat much better. Nothing compares quite with a grill, but this is the best way I've found to do it in the kitchen.
Posted By: Daverageguy Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/10/08
Having beaten Aneroxia sucessfully good points all around,i prefer a good thick bacon cheeseburger lightly salted with Kosher salt a good dijon mustard and plain ketchup the steak sauce i put on the fries or pomme frites.I cook the bacon in the oven at 400 degrees for 11 minutes halfway through i lay the burger in a cast iron skillet turning once and twisting once when the bacon's done i put the burger in the oven for 4 minutes at 425 degrees,as the burger finishies i cut cheese Cheddar or Mozzarella remove burger sauce cheese bacon Yummie!
Posted By: 444Matt Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/11/08
I have a catering company and one our better dishes is fillet minion cooked in a similar fashion. The principle is the same, high heat sear, and then a high heat finish in an oven like environment. What we do is this:

Set steak out and allow to come to warm, cold steak is bad. Rub with olive oil, coat with ground pepper, garlic salt and sea salt.

Place onto high heat grill. We us a lump coal fired charcoal grill. Grate temp is around 750-850.

Sear each side for 2 minutes.

Immediately remove and place into smoker. (This is our 'oven') The smoker is hickory wood fired and we will have it stoked up to 475 degrees. Let steaks sit in the high heat smoke for 8 minutes or until internal temp reaches 135.

Remove steaks from smoker, place on plate and tent with foil. Internal temp will rise another 5-12 degrees during this 'rest' period.

Plate and serve.
Posted By: Ruger 4570 Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/11/08
I have never tried to oven cook a steak. Back when I was living in Tucson, I would go out back and grab a bunch of Mesquite deadwood from the trees, get a roaring fire going on my grill.
When the grill was REALLY hot and smokey, throw the steaks on. I like my steaks Charred/Rare. Charred black and crispy on the outside and pretty rare inside, of course,, over Mesquite wood.
Originally Posted by Borealis Bob
I believe the better steak houses (if not using a grill) do their steaks in an oven with at least 600 degrees...not possible at home.
Not true. That's how I do it. My gas grill, outside, goes well above 600 when the cover's on. At that temp, four minutes on each side, and a thick steak is perfect. Cool in the center, and black on the outside.
Posted By: isaac Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/11/08
I think the primo steak houses only use the oven to sear in the oils or butters they put on the steaks at the end of direct fire grilling.
I would like to add that the method of searing in a cast iron skillet is an excellent way to cook venison steaks. One of the local processors here will cut a hindquarter into large steaks with the bone in. We marinate the steaks in italian dressing then flop them into a hot skillet. With venison, a good searing on each side and they're done, no need to cook any longer. This works really well over a campfire but also in the kitchen.
Posted By: Cheesehunter Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/11/08
Home alone last night and tried the MColeman recipe, but with some venison top-sirloin.
Excellent! Used several smaller pieces of steak and some cajun.
Posted By: widrahthaar Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/11/08
Throw it on a hot grill get good marks on both sides and get internal temp to 120 for a perfect medium rare steak. Really nothing more to it. 5 minute job
Posted By: ranger1 Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/11/08
Room temp MT ribeyes
puncture both sides with fork thoroughly
liberally coat with unseasoned tenderizer and rub in
Mix up:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup veg. oil
2 T. ketchup
1 T. white vinager
2-3 pinches fresh ground black pepper
1 pinch garlic powder
Cover steaks in marinade and let sit min. 2 hrs
Grill at 500+ 3-4 min/side for med. rare on gas or for the best steak cook on charcoal w/apple, hickory, mesquite, or alder chips added.

I won't eat a steak that has been pan fried - never had a good one.
Posted By: widrahthaar Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/11/08
There really can't be a set time for cooking any piece of meat unless they are all the same weight and thickness, also not every spot on the grill is the same temp. Go by firmness and temp.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/11/08
Skillets and ovens may be okay for domestic steaks, but for game meat, it seems to me to be SO wrong-

Today's lunch for me and the wife was four small fresh cow elk backstrap steaks, marinated for 30 min. in lite soy sauce, thrown on a hot outdoor grill for 4 minutes on a side.

If God made anything that tastes better, I really don't know what it is.
Posted By: mathman Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/11/08
puncture both sides with fork thoroughly
liberally coat with unseasoned tenderizer and rub in

For a ribeye????
Absolutely - They'll fall apart, no knife needed.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/11/08
That was my thought as well. The only thing that pokes my ribeye is my fork right before it goes in my mouth.

Mike
Posted By: MColeman Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/11/08
I was always taught never stick a fork into a steak until you're ready to eat it. Let's the juices out.
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
That was my thought as well. The only thing that pokes my ribeye is my fork right before it goes in my mouth.

Mike
I never puncture a steak till ready to eat. Use prongs. A fork will cause the juices seep out.
A well marbled ribeye will never be dry unless overcooked. The fork allows the tenderizer and marinade to penetrate which = a more tender and flavorful steak.
Originally Posted by ranger1
A well marbled ribeye will never be dry unless overcooked. The fork allows the tenderizer and marinade to penetrate which = a more tender and flavorful steak.
A good steak will never need tenderizer. I never use the stuff. Cooked rare (the way you're supposed to eat a steak), and it will be plenty tender.
Don't really care for them without it - the fat is far better tasting with tenderizer. Only thing I hate more than a pan fried steak is one that lacks seasoning.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/11/08
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
A good steak will never need tenderizer. I never use the stuff. Cooked rare (the way you're supposed to eat a steak), and it will be plenty tender.

Right on TRH. If my steak don't taste like a nose bleed....it's too done!!

Mike
I didn't say anything about seasoning. I just can't imagine a ribeye that was halfway decent in the first place needing mechanical or enzymatic tenderizing to be very tender.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Right on TRH. If my steak don't taste like a nose bleed....it's too done!!

Mike

In other words, knock his horns off and wipe his butt and it's ready to eat?! Just the way I like 'em!!!!!!!!!
I've seen someone write "just walk the steer through a warm room on the way to the table" or thereabouts. That's a bit too rare for me.
They're all tender - I like em' more tenderer... and the tenderizer adds a lot of flavor to the fat which really seems to absorb the flavor of the marinade considerably better when tenderizer is applied. I have a buddy who likes his steaks plain - a little salt and pepper and grilled rare. Personally, I think they are pretty poor when done in that manner but he loves em'. Guess we all have our way of doing it.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/11/08
Let's see if I have this straight. After searing you leave the steak in the skillet and put the the skillet in the oven?

Making me hungry!

Paul
Posted By: isaac Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/11/08
I'm gonna give Mick's thoughts a try with an added few twists suggested by some other posters.

If I can have a great steak in winter weather without dressing up for some freezing grill duty, I'm all for it.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/11/08
Well I just get my charcoal grill hot, I take my rib eyes, I like them cut 1 1/2 to 2 inches. I just salt and pepper both sides, I sear each side for 2 min per and move off the coals for indirect cooking. From start to finish 7 to 8 min. I serve it with a Salad and more times than not Oven roasted Potatoes don't on the grill as well, or corn in season. I don't like to over season rib eyes, I find they are just plain great with a little salt and ground pepper corns. A glass of Red wine or a cold beer and its done. As for grilling in winter, I do it all the time, I cook out side all the time. The only time I don't is in pouring rain or heavy snow and wind, then its skillet or slow cooker meals. If it dries out this week end, I am in CT, I am planning to do a whole brisket on a smoker. I will have fixings next week for Texas Chilli. I did a whole pork roast last sunday, have to have a couple of good pork sandwiches while on deer stand.
I did a whole pork roast last sunday, have to have a couple of good pork sandwiches while on deer stand.

You gave me a chuckle. While on stand my pop used to smoke, drink coffee, and eat Pop Tarts heated by his jon-e handwarmer. He still killed a bunch of deer too. laugh
Originally Posted by Paul39
Let's see if I have this straight. After searing you leave the steak in the skillet and put the the skillet in the oven?

Making me hungry!

Paul

You've nailed it! That's the drill. My steak was great. Go thou, and do likewise.

(Don't use a skillet with a rubber or plastic handle, though.)
Posted By: JRowan Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/11/08
Ok, keep seeing reference to grills. The brand of grill you have will make a big difference in how you cook a steak. I use one of the Holland Grills, which is indirect heat. A 1 1/4" thick KC Strip will take about 7 min/side and be as juicy med. rare as I like.

Now as a kid, I remember having steak every Sunday for noon meal. Mom would use the griddle and the broiler. The whole secret to her steaks was the plates that she warmed in the oven. Made the juices sizzle.
Posted By: ironbender Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/12/08

If I can have a great steak in winter weather without dressing up for some freezing grill duty, I'm all for it.

Toughen up and grill like a man!
Posted By: RickBin Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/13/08
I do what Mickey does, but on the barbeque.

Get the grill super hot on 2/3 (leave the one outside burner on low) throw a proper ribeye on the super-hot side, and close the top and let the whole thing catch fire.

At the two-minute mark, flip it over, close the lid, and let it fire up again for another two minutes.

Open the lid, slide the steak over to the low side, drop the lid, and let it go 7 minutes exactly (on my grill).

This yields medium-rare ribeye perfection.

BTW, I love steak, and have tried all kinds of seasonings, all kinds of ways. Anymore, I use plain old sea-salt right before it hits the grill. To me, it's best that way.

Italians like to marinade a steak before either pan frying, grilling, or broiling it. I like this marinade: Salt, freshly ground black pepper, whole black pepper corns, lemon juice, lemon slices, garlic cloves lightly crushed, bay leaves, a few sprigs of fresh oregano, extra-virgin olive oil. Well mixed, let it sit well covered by the marinade for a few hours. Delicious.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/13/08

Actually, the best steaks in the world (subjective of course) are cooked this way, but usually at about 800 degrees.
Posted By: Woodsmoke Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/13/08
I've always had great results, and more than a few complements with my steaks. It's usually porterhouse, but good results on any quality steak by broiling. First season to your liking, place your steak(on a foil lined cookie sheet), in center of oven ( electric oven) broil on high 7,8 mins. flip go another 5,6 mins and your done. Increase time one min. at a time for med rare or well done. I use salt, pepper, & garlic powder. Thats it. OH! NEVER FLIP MORE THAN ONE TIME..... that will result in a tough steak. Enjoy
Posted By: Tom264 Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/13/08
I like my steaks cooked rare over a super hot mesquite wood fire outside.......Oh yum!
They have to be rare inside with the fat burnt to a golden brown to almost getting dark..

S'cuse me I'm hungry now.
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/13/08
My friend Otto Geist, Alaskan paleontologist, died mysteriously in Germany about forty-five years ago. He'd come to Alaska as a youngster before or soon after World War One and hadn't gone back to Germany to visit relatives there until after he'd retired.

He stayed too long.

Cold weather caught Otto there � an extraordinarily strong man � and brought him low with a cold that got worse and worse and led to mysterious complications. He had to be hospitalized, lost weight and vigor, and died. The doctors had been unable to diagnose his problem.

An autopsy revealed that parasites from the raw caribou meat that he'd eaten decades earlier, during his long sojourn among the Inuits, had continued to "take their cut" when his vigor was unable to meet their demand.
Posted By: eh76 Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/13/08
Originally Posted by Tom264
I like my steaks cooked rare over a super hot mesquite wood fire outside.......Oh yum!
They have to be rare inside with the fat burnt to a golden brown to almost getting dark..

S'cuse me I'm hungry now.

I agree totally! Yum! Only one problem....not too much mesquite growing here!
Posted By: Tom264 Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/13/08
Elkhunter, Every year save for this year I would got to AZ for the holidays and stay for about a month, before I come home I would grab as much mesquite wood that I could stick in the back of my truck and bring it home......I'm out of it right now. frown
Posted By: 1B Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/14/08
Best steak in a restaurant I ever had was a huge "railhead cut" I had in KC when I was just out of basic training -- but the army had shunk up my stomach and some was left over.

Next best was at a place outside of Allentown PA whose name I can'r recall right now. It was done with an outrageous marinade made largely of garlic and spices on a wood grill, then rest-cooked at the end in a lower heated roaster and served in a geenrous amount of the garlic marinade. The massed garlic got to an explosive stage and then mellowed back somewhat but you did not want to go there for a salad and ride home with three steak eaters. The steaks were huge and none was left on any plate in the place... Never had the guts to try that at home with a good piece of meat.

My favorite home made steak is one cut two-three inches thick and marinaded for 2-3 hours in a plastic bag with soy sauce and garlic and then grilled quickly over high heat to sear both sides and then into a hot oven --400 degrees -- for about five-ten minutes depending on the mass of meat. Red in the middle but no blood is the goal here.

1B
Posted By: 257_Roy Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/14/08
There are two methods that I use almost exclusively.

Method 1-Bring a pot of water to a boil and drop the steaks into it for 15-20 minutes. Mmmm-mmm, tender.

Method 2-Microwave on high for 12-15 minutes a pound. Sears the juices right in. Yummy!
Posted By: 257_Roy Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/14/08
BTW-I'm just kidding!!!

Charcoal grill for me all the way although I have experimented with the oven and broiler. I also will slice a filet thin and fry the slices in olive oil. We use this to top various pastas and such. Works well for this purpose.
Originally Posted by 257_Roy
There are two methods that I use almost exclusively.

Method 1-Bring a pot of water to a boil and drop the steaks into it for 15-20 minutes. Mmmm-mmm, tender.

Method 2-Microwave on high for 12-15 minutes a pound. Sears the juices right in. Yummy!
I hope you're joking.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/14/08
Cook steak easy.

Run to critter.

Cut off steak.

Wipe off hair.

Warm over fire.

Eat.

What hard?
Originally Posted by 257_Roy
BTW-I'm just kidding!!!

Charcoal grill for me all the way although I have experimented with the oven and broiler. I also will slice a filet thin and fry the slices in olive oil. We use this to top various pastas and such. Works well for this purpose.
Oh, good.

PS I was surprised once at how good meat cooked when boiled. I was making a broth and was using all sorts of scrap meats I had around, and bones. First I roasted them, then I boiled them for an hour or two with veggies, herbs and spices. Some of the scraps were from pork loin roast. They were just odd shaped pieces that didn't work with a dish I was making previously, so I added them to the broth meats. Well, I decided to take them out and try them. Delicious. I took all the pork scraps out and ate them for a meal. Couldn't believe how tender, juicy, and delicious it was.
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Cook steak easy.

Run to critter.

Cut off steak.

Wipe off hair.

Warm over fire.

Eat.

What hard?
Ok, Gorack. laugh
Posted By: MColeman Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/14/08
There is a marinade you can find almost anywhere in Alabama and that's Dale's Steak Sauce. It has a soy base and some spices but it's a great marinade. Do any of y'all have it in other states?
Posted By: mathman Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/14/08
The "soy sauce" in Dale's is hydrolyzed soy protein, and compared to the real stuff it's nasty. Get some naturally brewed soy sauce as a base for home made marinade. It's much better.
Posted By: MColeman Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/14/08
That may well be but Dale's Steak Sauce, as it's sold, ain't bad.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/14/08
One simple marinade we like is 50% soy sauce and 50% bourbon whiskey. Marinade about 15-20 minutes per side, sprinkle with course salt and ground pepper and head straight to the grill.

Mike
Posted By: Journeyman Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/14/08
The premium steak chains such as Ruth's Chris, Fleming's, etc DO broil their steaks in ovens, though not at six hundred to eight hundred degrees as stated here earlier, but at sixTEEN hundred to eighTEEN hundred degrees. They also use only kosher salt, black pepper, butter and parsley to season.
Originally Posted by Journeyman
The premium steak chains such as Ruth's Chris, Fleming's, etc DO broil their steaks in ovens, though not at six hundred to eight hundred degrees as stated here earlier, but at sixTEEN hundred to eighTEEN hundred degrees. They also use only kosher salt, black pepper, butter and parsley to season.
Do they use an incinerator? Maybe I'll try cooking my steaks with the oven on the Self-Cleaning setting. laugh
Here's how I like my steaks. This was done on my closed gas grill at around 650 degrees for about four minutes on each side, then split in half and served. Outside is black and crisp. Inside is only warm to the touch.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 11670-FiletMignonwTurnipGreens.JPG
Posted By: kciH Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/22/08
Mickey,

When the wind is howling and it's too cold to grill this is what I do.

Rib-eye Steak 1 1/2" Thick (room temperature)
Canola Oil To Coat
Salt and Pepper (or your favorite steak seasoning)

Place a 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees.

When oven reaches temperature, remove pan and place on range over high heat. Coat steak lightly with oil and season both sides with a generously with salt and pepper.

Immediately place steak in the middle of hot, dry pan. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium rare steaks. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns. For anything past medium just go to Burger King as the steak will be ruined.)

Remove steak from pan, cover loosely with foil, rest for 2-3 minutes and enjoy. I still can't get over how juicey and flavorful they are.

Mike

I'm going to have to endorse this one, worked to perfection with a couple strips tonight. I run the smoker and charcoal grill, my wife runs the gas grill. Was about 0 at dinner time, so I figured I'd give it a try, so as to prevent a mutiny. I followed the directions closely. Melt in your mouth tender and juicy.
Posted By: biglmbass Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/22/08
That may well be but Dale's Steak Sauce, as it's sold, ain't bad.

I'm all about some Dale's, and prefer it, but Moore's ain't bad at all.
Posted By: amax155 Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/23/08
I finally cooked my steak on the Emerils cast iron skillet. It turned out great and I got the grill marks as well. I had originally tried it on the stove top and didn't get the results I was looking for, but the oven made all of the difference.
Posted By: selmer Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/23/08
Yep, I'll endorse this oven thing as well. I got a couple small steaks out this week and we've been south of 0 for several days until this morning. Heat up the oven and skillet to 500, I've just thrown the steak in, cooked about 4 minutes per side, searing each nicely. Medium rare, juicy as can be, and delicious!
Selmer
Posted By: 1akhunter Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/27/08
new one on me Mickey,

I've always fired up the grill cause using the Jennair it gets pretty smoky in the kitchen though at -30 or colder what's a little smoke eh? grin

just got finished with your version a few minutes ago, though I used olive oil in my skillet, had to use garlic salt though, dang it outa fresh garlic cloves, and fresh ground black pepper.

the steak was very very good, along with asparagus, a couple of scallions and a slice of whole grain flax bread. Washed it down with well water amidst sips of some R&R and water.

dessert should be here soon

life is good

and now thanks to Mickey, I've a way to prepare a good steak without going outdoors if I feel like entertaining some company, or just want to eat a good steak to please myself.

I'm grateful for you sharing Mickey
Posted By: Stetson Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/27/08
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

A bit of mixed info here with every one being correct to some degree. This is indeed not the way most big steak houses work. They are usually set up to specifically deal with and cook steak so they often have at least two double stack infrared swing broilers. Infrared broilers are often referred to as "grills". Techniclly speaking very few steak houses use grills, however infrared broilers leave grill marks. smile
The flip side is that most restaurants only have a single swing broiler or a small grill so at peak times it is completly impractical to cook fully on the "grill". It is also easier for an inexperienced line cook to work with Mickey's method of using the oven as the temps are lower than an 1850 degree infrared broiler. Thus a bit more forgiving. For an experienced line cook it will not make any difference if they use the oven, broiler or a combination. Steaks are cooked by touch and an accomplished cook can tell just by a quick look and a light touch if the steak is cooked properly. The typical restaurant line not only has oven space underneath all of the stove top burners but at least one double stack convection oven. So it becomes impractical not to use that space.
This same method is used by saute cooks. Chicken for example would be seared, the inredients for the dish hit the pan and then it's in the oven. This way the saute cook can utilize all of the available burners plus have several more pans in the oven.
The Living Seas restaurant at Disney actually utilizes a conveyer belt sautee station.
The bottom line is that you have to work with what you have and Mickey's method, save for the cook time, is very common. A 12 ounce fillet is going to need a lot more cook time than a 12 ounce strip. I'm betting a lot of steaks got cooked this way long before infrared or modern kitchens.
Posted By: Stetson Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/27/08

I've had too many over charred under done steaks from a grill not by my hand either or GH's.

Waaaa You don't like Pittsburg rare? grin whistle smile
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/27/08

6. You can eat in your skivvies if you're so minded (unless Mr. O'Reilly goes to restaurants in his skivvies then this is no advantage of your old way of doing things.

In Barakistan, the Emir can wear, or not wear, whatever he chooses.
Posted By: eh76 Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/27/08
If the host is providing and cooking the steak I will take it any way the host provides it. Never met a steak I didn't like, just some better than others!
Posted By: MColeman Re: On cooking steak..... - 12/27/08
1akhunter, you're more than welcome. I hope you have a superb 2009.
Posted By: eh76 Re: On cooking steak..... - 01/01/09
Trying this as I type! I'll let you know how it turns out! Happy New Year Mickey!
Posted By: eh76 Re: On cooking steak..... - 01/01/09
Mickey that was VERY good. I will remember this as it was too windy to grill outside tonight! Thank you!
Posted By: chrissum Re: On cooking steak..... - 01/01/09
Mickey, thanks for the idea! We cooked a pack of farm raised beef steaks for new years eve dinner last night as per your instructions and they were awsome and as you described, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: MColeman Re: On cooking steak..... - 01/01/09
I can't begin to tell y'all how pleased I am that I was able to offer something that has made life better for all of you. I was shocked myself when I tried it for the first time. Haven't grilled a steak outside since. Happy New Year to all of you. This is my first official day of retirement and I can say along with MLK, Jr, "Free at last, Free at last!"
Posted By: chrissum Re: On cooking steak..... - 01/01/09
Enjoy the retirement Mickey and feel free to pass along any other interesting stuff you find! Thanks!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: On cooking steak..... - 01/04/09
Mickey - congratulations on the retirement - enjoy, enjoy, enjoy each day as it dawns. Best, John
Posted By: MColeman Re: On cooking steak..... - 01/05/09
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Mickey - congratulations on the retirement - enjoy, enjoy, enjoy each day as it dawns. Best, John

I am! I am! Thanks for the well wishing, guys. I have truly come to consider y'all as close friends and I appreciate you. I truly do.
Posted By: zimhunter Re: On cooking steak..... - 01/05/09
I don't have a barbeque so always cook steak in the oven. Put pan on lower rack,set oven to broil. Sprinkle boneless rib-eye 1 3/4" thick liberally with Mrs.Dash Herb & Garlic. Broil on 1 side 15 minutes and turn and liberally sprinkle other side with Mrs Dash. Broil on second side 10 minutes. I absolutely dislike any hint of red in the meat and want it WELL done. With a good ribeye this is perfect for me. Always eat boneless ribeyes and always not less than 1 3/4" thick. Safeway has prime beef and cuts them for me. Serve with a steamed vegetable and have at it with pleasure.
Posted By: 1akhunter Re: On cooking steak..... - 01/05/09
dang son, the pink stuff is what we all live for.

to each his own

but I really enjoy pink meat
Posted By: mathman Re: On cooking steak..... - 01/05/09
I absolutely dislike any hint of red in the meat and want it WELL done.

Blasphemy!
Posted By: kciH Re: On cooking steak..... - 01/05/09
Originally Posted by zimhunter
I don't have a barbeque so always cook steak in the oven. Put pan on lower rack,set oven to broil. Sprinkle boneless rib-eye 1 3/4" thick liberally with Mrs.Dash Herb & Garlic. Broil on 1 side 15 minutes and turn and liberally sprinkle other side with Mrs Dash. Broil on second side 10 minutes. I absolutely dislike any hint of red in the meat and want it WELL done. With a good ribeye this is perfect for me. Always eat boneless ribeyes and always not less than 1 3/4" thick. Safeway has prime beef and cuts them for me. Serve with a steamed vegetable and have at it with pleasure.

Heretic.

I will say the cast iron stove top/oven method does emit a bit of smoke. A bit being a LOT in this case.
Posted By: RickBin Re: On cooking steak..... - 02/24/09
OK, I tried this tonight.

Verdict: Good. Very good.

But I like the grill better.

I'll save this recipe for rainy days.

wink
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: On cooking steak..... - 02/24/09

I will need to try this out, on the grill.

Sometime this week I hope.
Posted By: kciH Re: On cooking steak..... - 02/24/09
I've done this a few times over the winter and it always is superbly juicy and tender.

I prefer the grill, but there is nothing wrong with this in any way. Can't speak to killing it, but medium rare, or medium, is great.
Posted By: 1akhunter Re: On cooking steak..... - 02/24/09
well at -40 for 3 weeks you can have the propane grill

I've a Jennair with the grill set up, but like this way mo betta

M C for Prez

wish this country could be so fortunate to have a man with the character of that Alabama barrel bender as CIC
Posted By: Maser Re: On cooking steak..... - 02/24/09
Only time my oven gets used for steak is if it's a fillet migon. All other cuts are cooked on a charcoal grill or grill pan if it's too cold or rainy out. And it HAS to be extra rare. My steak don't get marinated for 1.5-2 days to be burnt to a crisp.
© 24hourcampfire