Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Journeyman
The premium steak chains such as Ruth's Chris, Fleming's, etc DO broil their steaks in ovens, though not at six hundred to eight hundred degrees as stated here earlier, but at sixTEEN hundred to eighTEEN hundred degrees. They also use only kosher salt, black pepper, butter and parsley to season.
Do they use an incinerator? Maybe I'll try cooking my steaks with the oven on the Self-Cleaning setting. laugh

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Here's how I like my steaks. This was done on my closed gas grill at around 650 degrees for about four minutes on each side, then split in half and served. Outside is black and crisp. Inside is only warm to the touch.

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
11670-FiletMignonwTurnipGreens.JPG (86.08 KB, 58 downloads)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Mickey,

When the wind is howling and it's too cold to grill this is what I do.

Rib-eye Steak 1 1/2" Thick (room temperature)
Canola Oil To Coat
Salt and Pepper (or your favorite steak seasoning)

Place a 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees.

When oven reaches temperature, remove pan and place on range over high heat. Coat steak lightly with oil and season both sides with a generously with salt and pepper.

Immediately place steak in the middle of hot, dry pan. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium rare steaks. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns. For anything past medium just go to Burger King as the steak will be ruined.)

Remove steak from pan, cover loosely with foil, rest for 2-3 minutes and enjoy. I still can't get over how juicey and flavorful they are.

Mike

I'm going to have to endorse this one, worked to perfection with a couple strips tonight. I run the smoker and charcoal grill, my wife runs the gas grill. Was about 0 at dinner time, so I figured I'd give it a try, so as to prevent a mutiny. I followed the directions closely. Melt in your mouth tender and juicy.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MColeman
That may well be but Dale's Steak Sauce, as it's sold, ain't bad.

I'm all about some Dale's, and prefer it, but Moore's ain't bad at all.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I finally cooked my steak on the Emerils cast iron skillet. It turned out great and I got the grill marks as well. I had originally tried it on the stove top and didn't get the results I was looking for, but the oven made all of the difference.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, I'll endorse this oven thing as well. I got a couple small steaks out this week and we've been south of 0 for several days until this morning. Heat up the oven and skillet to 500, I've just thrown the steak in, cooked about 4 minutes per side, searing each nicely. Medium rare, juicy as can be, and delicious!
Selmer

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
new one on me Mickey,

I've always fired up the grill cause using the Jennair it gets pretty smoky in the kitchen though at -30 or colder what's a little smoke eh? grin

just got finished with your version a few minutes ago, though I used olive oil in my skillet, had to use garlic salt though, dang it outa fresh garlic cloves, and fresh ground black pepper.

the steak was very very good, along with asparagus, a couple of scallions and a slice of whole grain flax bread. Washed it down with well water amidst sips of some R&R and water.

dessert should be here soon

life is good

and now thanks to Mickey, I've a way to prepare a good steak without going outdoors if I feel like entertaining some company, or just want to eat a good steak to please myself.

I'm grateful for you sharing Mickey

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Originally Posted by Cheesehunter
This is a great way to cook a steak. However, I doubt this is the way the big steak houses cook them. It is just not practical:
The different cuts of meat vary in cooking times to get them to the desired doness - and can even vary from one ribeye to the next. For a grillman to keep track of the all the steaks cooking at the same time in ovens is a nightmare, and will result in steaks being over cooked.
Commercial grills run much hotter than home models, and can be set to have a hot side to sear, and a slightly cooler side to finish on. All there in front of the grillman to keep an eye on.

I tried to point this out already...

A bit of mixed info here with every one being correct to some degree. This is indeed not the way most big steak houses work. They are usually set up to specifically deal with and cook steak so they often have at least two double stack infrared swing broilers. Infrared broilers are often referred to as "grills". Techniclly speaking very few steak houses use grills, however infrared broilers leave grill marks. smile
The flip side is that most restaurants only have a single swing broiler or a small grill so at peak times it is completly impractical to cook fully on the "grill". It is also easier for an inexperienced line cook to work with Mickey's method of using the oven as the temps are lower than an 1850 degree infrared broiler. Thus a bit more forgiving. For an experienced line cook it will not make any difference if they use the oven, broiler or a combination. Steaks are cooked by touch and an accomplished cook can tell just by a quick look and a light touch if the steak is cooked properly. The typical restaurant line not only has oven space underneath all of the stove top burners but at least one double stack convection oven. So it becomes impractical not to use that space.
This same method is used by saute cooks. Chicken for example would be seared, the inredients for the dish hit the pan and then it's in the oven. This way the saute cook can utilize all of the available burners plus have several more pans in the oven.
The Living Seas restaurant at Disney actually utilizes a conveyer belt sautee station.
The bottom line is that you have to work with what you have and Mickey's method, save for the cook time, is very common. A 12 ounce fillet is going to need a lot more cook time than a 12 ounce strip. I'm betting a lot of steaks got cooked this way long before infrared or modern kitchens.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sassy

I've had too many over charred under done steaks from a grill not by my hand either or GH's.

Waaaa You don't like Pittsburg rare? grin whistle smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MColeman

6. You can eat in your skivvies if you're so minded (unless Mr. O'Reilly goes to restaurants in his skivvies then this is no advantage of your old way of doing things.

In Barakistan, the Emir can wear, or not wear, whatever he chooses.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If the host is providing and cooking the steak I will take it any way the host provides it. Never met a steak I didn't like, just some better than others!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
1akhunter, you're more than welcome. I hope you have a superb 2009.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trying this as I type! I'll let you know how it turns out! Happy New Year Mickey!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mickey that was VERY good. I will remember this as it was too windy to grill outside tonight! Thank you!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mickey, thanks for the idea! We cooked a pack of farm raised beef steaks for new years eve dinner last night as per your instructions and they were awsome and as you described, thanks for sharing!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I can't begin to tell y'all how pleased I am that I was able to offer something that has made life better for all of you. I was shocked myself when I tried it for the first time. Haven't grilled a steak outside since. Happy New Year to all of you. This is my first official day of retirement and I can say along with MLK, Jr, "Free at last, Free at last!"

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Enjoy the retirement Mickey and feel free to pass along any other interesting stuff you find! Thanks!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mickey - congratulations on the retirement - enjoy, enjoy, enjoy each day as it dawns. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Mickey - congratulations on the retirement - enjoy, enjoy, enjoy each day as it dawns. Best, John

I am! I am! Thanks for the well wishing, guys. I have truly come to consider y'all as close friends and I appreciate you. I truly do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have a barbeque so always cook steak in the oven. Put pan on lower rack,set oven to broil. Sprinkle boneless rib-eye 1 3/4" thick liberally with Mrs.Dash Herb & Garlic. Broil on 1 side 15 minutes and turn and liberally sprinkle other side with Mrs Dash. Broil on second side 10 minutes. I absolutely dislike any hint of red in the meat and want it WELL done. With a good ribeye this is perfect for me. Always eat boneless ribeyes and always not less than 1 3/4" thick. Safeway has prime beef and cuts them for me. Serve with a steamed vegetable and have at it with pleasure.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,344
Posts18,526,913
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.