-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do what Mickey does, but on the barbeque.

Get the grill super hot on 2/3 (leave the one outside burner on low) throw a proper ribeye on the super-hot side, and close the top and let the whole thing catch fire.

At the two-minute mark, flip it over, close the lid, and let it fire up again for another two minutes.

Open the lid, slide the steak over to the low side, drop the lid, and let it go 7 minutes exactly (on my grill).

This yields medium-rare ribeye perfection.

BTW, I love steak, and have tried all kinds of seasonings, all kinds of ways. Anymore, I use plain old sea-salt right before it hits the grill. To me, it's best that way.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Italians like to marinade a steak before either pan frying, grilling, or broiling it. I like this marinade: Salt, freshly ground black pepper, whole black pepper corns, lemon juice, lemon slices, garlic cloves lightly crushed, bay leaves, a few sprigs of fresh oregano, extra-virgin olive oil. Well mixed, let it sit well covered by the marinade for a few hours. Delicious.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MColeman
I read recently about how big steak places actually cook their steaks. It goes something like this:

Preheat your oven to 450*
Take an oven proof skillet and put a little oil in it and get it HOT. Season your steak as you like it and then put it in the hot skillet and sear it a couple of minutes per side to seal in the juices. Then move it to the oven and let it cook 5-7 minutes for rare, 8-10 minutes for medium and so on.

I tried it and it was the best steak I remember ever eating. I buy my steaks (rib-eyes) at Sam's in Montgomery and they are huge. They cost less than $8/pound and are delicious.

Does anybody else cook their steaks this way? I may never use my grill again.

Actually, the best steaks in the world (subjective of course) are cooked this way, but usually at about 800 degrees.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I've always had great results, and more than a few complements with my steaks. It's usually porterhouse, but good results on any quality steak by broiling. First season to your liking, place your steak(on a foil lined cookie sheet), in center of oven ( electric oven) broil on high 7,8 mins. flip go another 5,6 mins and your done. Increase time one min. at a time for med rare or well done. I use salt, pepper, & garlic powder. Thats it. OH! NEVER FLIP MORE THAN ONE TIME..... that will result in a tough steak. Enjoy

GOD,COUNTRY,FAMILY,"AMEN"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I like my steaks cooked rare over a super hot mesquite wood fire outside.......Oh yum!
They have to be rare inside with the fat burnt to a golden brown to almost getting dark..

S'cuse me I'm hungry now.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My friend Otto Geist, Alaskan paleontologist, died mysteriously in Germany about forty-five years ago. He'd come to Alaska as a youngster before or soon after World War One and hadn't gone back to Germany to visit relatives there until after he'd retired.

He stayed too long.

Cold weather caught Otto there � an extraordinarily strong man � and brought him low with a cold that got worse and worse and led to mysterious complications. He had to be hospitalized, lost weight and vigor, and died. The doctors had been unable to diagnose his problem.

An autopsy revealed that parasites from the raw caribou meat that he'd eaten decades earlier, during his long sojourn among the Inuits, had continued to "take their cut" when his vigor was unable to meet their demand.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tom264
I like my steaks cooked rare over a super hot mesquite wood fire outside.......Oh yum!
They have to be rare inside with the fat burnt to a golden brown to almost getting dark..

S'cuse me I'm hungry now.

I agree totally! Yum! Only one problem....not too much mesquite growing here!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Elkhunter, Every year save for this year I would got to AZ for the holidays and stay for about a month, before I come home I would grab as much mesquite wood that I could stick in the back of my truck and bring it home......I'm out of it right now. frown

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best steak in a restaurant I ever had was a huge "railhead cut" I had in KC when I was just out of basic training -- but the army had shunk up my stomach and some was left over.

Next best was at a place outside of Allentown PA whose name I can'r recall right now. It was done with an outrageous marinade made largely of garlic and spices on a wood grill, then rest-cooked at the end in a lower heated roaster and served in a geenrous amount of the garlic marinade. The massed garlic got to an explosive stage and then mellowed back somewhat but you did not want to go there for a salad and ride home with three steak eaters. The steaks were huge and none was left on any plate in the place... Never had the guts to try that at home with a good piece of meat.

My favorite home made steak is one cut two-three inches thick and marinaded for 2-3 hours in a plastic bag with soy sauce and garlic and then grilled quickly over high heat to sear both sides and then into a hot oven --400 degrees -- for about five-ten minutes depending on the mass of meat. Red in the middle but no blood is the goal here.

1B

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are two methods that I use almost exclusively.

Method 1-Bring a pot of water to a boil and drop the steaks into it for 15-20 minutes. Mmmm-mmm, tender.

Method 2-Microwave on high for 12-15 minutes a pound. Sears the juices right in. Yummy!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Redistribute my work ethic, not my Wealth!!!!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BTW-I'm just kidding!!!

Charcoal grill for me all the way although I have experimented with the oven and broiler. I also will slice a filet thin and fry the slices in olive oil. We use this to top various pastas and such. Works well for this purpose.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Redistribute my work ethic, not my Wealth!!!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 257_Roy
There are two methods that I use almost exclusively.

Method 1-Bring a pot of water to a boil and drop the steaks into it for 15-20 minutes. Mmmm-mmm, tender.

Method 2-Microwave on high for 12-15 minutes a pound. Sears the juices right in. Yummy!
I hope you're joking.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Cook steak easy.

Run to critter.

Cut off steak.

Wipe off hair.

Warm over fire.

Eat.

What hard?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 257_Roy
BTW-I'm just kidding!!!

Charcoal grill for me all the way although I have experimented with the oven and broiler. I also will slice a filet thin and fry the slices in olive oil. We use this to top various pastas and such. Works well for this purpose.
Oh, good.

PS I was surprised once at how good meat cooked when boiled. I was making a broth and was using all sorts of scrap meats I had around, and bones. First I roasted them, then I boiled them for an hour or two with veggies, herbs and spices. Some of the scraps were from pork loin roast. They were just odd shaped pieces that didn't work with a dish I was making previously, so I added them to the broth meats. Well, I decided to take them out and try them. Delicious. I took all the pork scraps out and ate them for a meal. Couldn't believe how tender, juicy, and delicious it was.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Cook steak easy.

Run to critter.

Cut off steak.

Wipe off hair.

Warm over fire.

Eat.

What hard?
Ok, Gorack. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There is a marinade you can find almost anywhere in Alabama and that's Dale's Steak Sauce. It has a soy base and some spices but it's a great marinade. Do any of y'all have it in other states?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The "soy sauce" in Dale's is hydrolyzed soy protein, and compared to the real stuff it's nasty. Get some naturally brewed soy sauce as a base for home made marinade. It's much better.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That may well be but Dale's Steak Sauce, as it's sold, ain't bad.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One simple marinade we like is 50% soy sauce and 50% bourbon whiskey. Marinade about 15-20 minutes per side, sprinkle with course salt and ground pepper and head straight to the grill.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The premium steak chains such as Ruth's Chris, Fleming's, etc DO broil their steaks in ovens, though not at six hundred to eight hundred degrees as stated here earlier, but at sixTEEN hundred to eighTEEN hundred degrees. They also use only kosher salt, black pepper, butter and parsley to season.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (12344mag, 21, 1234, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 58 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,397
Posts18,527,896
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.