Campfire 'Bwana
M
puncture both sides with fork thoroughly
liberally coat with unseasoned tenderizer and rub in

For a ribeye????

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Absolutely - They'll fall apart, no knife needed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was my thought as well. The only thing that pokes my ribeye is my fork right before it goes in my mouth.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was always taught never stick a fork into a steak until you're ready to eat it. Let's the juices out.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
That was my thought as well. The only thing that pokes my ribeye is my fork right before it goes in my mouth.

Mike
I never puncture a steak till ready to eat. Use prongs. A fork will cause the juices seep out.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A well marbled ribeye will never be dry unless overcooked. The fork allows the tenderizer and marinade to penetrate which = a more tender and flavorful steak.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ranger1
A well marbled ribeye will never be dry unless overcooked. The fork allows the tenderizer and marinade to penetrate which = a more tender and flavorful steak.
A good steak will never need tenderizer. I never use the stuff. Cooked rare (the way you're supposed to eat a steak), and it will be plenty tender.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't really care for them without it - the fat is far better tasting with tenderizer. Only thing I hate more than a pan fried steak is one that lacks seasoning.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
A good steak will never need tenderizer. I never use the stuff. Cooked rare (the way you're supposed to eat a steak), and it will be plenty tender.

Right on TRH. If my steak don't taste like a nose bleed....it's too done!!

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I didn't say anything about seasoning. I just can't imagine a ribeye that was halfway decent in the first place needing mechanical or enzymatic tenderizing to be very tender.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Right on TRH. If my steak don't taste like a nose bleed....it's too done!!

Mike

In other words, knock his horns off and wipe his butt and it's ready to eat?! Just the way I like 'em!!!!!!!!!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've seen someone write "just walk the steer through a warm room on the way to the table" or thereabouts. That's a bit too rare for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They're all tender - I like em' more tenderer... and the tenderizer adds a lot of flavor to the fat which really seems to absorb the flavor of the marinade considerably better when tenderizer is applied. I have a buddy who likes his steaks plain - a little salt and pepper and grilled rare. Personally, I think they are pretty poor when done in that manner but he loves em'. Guess we all have our way of doing it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Let's see if I have this straight. After searing you leave the steak in the skillet and put the the skillet in the oven?

Making me hungry!

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I'm gonna give Mick's thoughts a try with an added few twists suggested by some other posters.

If I can have a great steak in winter weather without dressing up for some freezing grill duty, I'm all for it.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I just get my charcoal grill hot, I take my rib eyes, I like them cut 1 1/2 to 2 inches. I just salt and pepper both sides, I sear each side for 2 min per and move off the coals for indirect cooking. From start to finish 7 to 8 min. I serve it with a Salad and more times than not Oven roasted Potatoes don't on the grill as well, or corn in season. I don't like to over season rib eyes, I find they are just plain great with a little salt and ground pepper corns. A glass of Red wine or a cold beer and its done. As for grilling in winter, I do it all the time, I cook out side all the time. The only time I don't is in pouring rain or heavy snow and wind, then its skillet or slow cooker meals. If it dries out this week end, I am in CT, I am planning to do a whole brisket on a smoker. I will have fixings next week for Texas Chilli. I did a whole pork roast last sunday, have to have a couple of good pork sandwiches while on deer stand.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I did a whole pork roast last sunday, have to have a couple of good pork sandwiches while on deer stand.

You gave me a chuckle. While on stand my pop used to smoke, drink coffee, and eat Pop Tarts heated by his jon-e handwarmer. He still killed a bunch of deer too. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Paul39
Let's see if I have this straight. After searing you leave the steak in the skillet and put the the skillet in the oven?

Making me hungry!

Paul

You've nailed it! That's the drill. My steak was great. Go thou, and do likewise.

(Don't use a skillet with a rubber or plastic handle, though.)

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ok, keep seeing reference to grills. The brand of grill you have will make a big difference in how you cook a steak. I use one of the Holland Grills, which is indirect heat. A 1 1/4" thick KC Strip will take about 7 min/side and be as juicy med. rare as I like.

Now as a kid, I remember having steak every Sunday for noon meal. Mom would use the griddle and the broiler. The whole secret to her steaks was the plates that she warmed in the oven. Made the juices sizzle.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by isaac

If I can have a great steak in winter weather without dressing up for some freezing grill duty, I'm all for it.

Toughen up and grill like a man!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,347
Posts18,526,961
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.