24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hello to all.

My name is Paul (CAS Slick Morgan). I am a new member to this interesting forum. I have been shooting smooth bore flinters for some 20 years, cap n ball wheel guns, rifles, and recently CAS with black powder.

I have found this forum a wealth of knowledge on our good friend the 45-70. So i thought I'd pick a few brains.

I have just purchased a Browning 1886 SRC (it sleeps with me). On the second day I had it, I grabbed a fist full of home loads and ran out to the range. I only had about an hour, so I just ran a target out to 25 yds and 50 yds.

It was drizzly and about 35 degrees out there, so the whole affair was wham, bam... bam... bam... bam... thank you mam.

My first load, a 405gr lfn .457 gc with 41 grains of RL7 shot fairly flat at 25 and about 6" high at 50. I fired 10 rounds, and I have to say, it got my complete attention.

My other three loads were: the same 405 gc bullet with 14gr of Trail Boss, a 405 SPG .458 with 70gr (compressed) of ffg, and with 65 gr (also compressed)ffg and a wad. All were much tamer. They all seemed to shoot to the same poa. Also fired 10 rounds of each.

These three seemed to shoot 4" hi at 25 yrds and over 8" hi at 50 with nice tight groups.

I don't have to tell this group that these beautiful guns are hard to find. But even harder to find is the stats on them such as twist, chamber or col length, etc. The folks at Browning are wonderful but could only give me mfgr date.

From spending a lot of time reading on this forum, among others, I had decided to try the above loads (2F being my true sweetheart)and keep my rounds with a col of 2.535 using a lee crimp die.

My question to my learned brothers here is ...

Does any one know the factory zero of this sweet gun? I would think its 100 yards.

Winter is here (Upstate NY) range time will be a commodity, and the neighbors are sure to complain if I shoot it out the basement window.

Until I know the zero on my, as yet unnamed sweetheart, it's hard to make up some test loads.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated, my friends.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

"A constitutional guarantee subject to future judges� assessments
of its usefulness is no constitutional guarantee at all."
---Supreme Court of the United States.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I Have one and with the stock sights it shot pretty much dead on with 300gr factory loads. Those heavier loads you're shooting will probably shoot higher at the closer ranges. There 300gr loads will probably be closer to point of aim. I later installed a Williams recever sight on mine, but I have not shot it enough to really get it dialed in yet. I think it is going to be fine with standard 300gr factory loads, but might require a taller front sight, with heavier loads.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (14idaho, achlupsa, 35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 6 invisible), 1,532 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,314
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.