Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by muledeer
What I really hate are guys who pick your rifle up and screw around with it while you are downrange changing targets...

Dennis

No person should have anyone's firearm in their paws when folks are downrange. Firearms should be unloaded, bolts open and folks are to step back or away while other folks are downrange. A good range will have these posted as rules, and if a rangemaster is present those would be grounds for expulsion.

MtnHtr

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That's a definite foul. You don't touch anothers rifle/gear unless invited, and no rifles should be fooled with by anyone while someone is downrange.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big time! If a person did that around me, they'd be told to backstroke it and or have both their arms broken right above their elbows...!

Not cool at all.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Agreed; that stuff is a big no-no.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've never had to shoot at a range, sounds like a pain. glad i got that big gravel pit 2 miles away!

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I stay away from chronographing anything everyone want to shoot over it. Then guys want to argue that their 7mag should 500fps faster. Same with fireforming Ackleys when I go to the range when any one is around. They will get you answering a ton of stupid questions. Just how does that happen, that can not be safe. Had a guy wanting to try my loads in his 280. I told him my gun was junk and they would not shoot too well. Last time I was at the range I took 15 rounds. 17Javelina takes 9 steps to make one pice of brass. Rangemaster got dead in my azz for leaving my brass lay. I showed him the brass was not rimfire or pistol. My brass was not even hitting the bench let alone the floor. LOL, I hate to go to the range.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Most annoying is to show up at a range with a new firearm or perhaps new loads for testing and some nitwit begs to shoot your gun before you have set up your equipment. Then, he won't let you concentrate as you attempt to fire as he must tell you everything that's wrong in his life. Worse: the guys who always seems to know someone who has it bigger, better, faster, better looking, or more expensive than you do, be it a gun, car, house or girlfriend.

The power to legislate is the power to destroy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What interesting reading...I truly adore overhearing noted gun & hunting experts at the gun club range...how 30-06 FMJ ammo will bounce off a pig's head...so never shoot them in the head...and how the Nosler Ballistic tip is a wonderful whitetail bullet but will absolutly not stop a 100# texas wild hog.

I now plan my range trips around the Cowboy's schedule...the play at noon ...I go at noon....reduces the idiot factor...

+1 on the gun fondlers...took a friends 660 Rem in .350 out to do some load work with it..and everybody and their momma had to gawk and want to fondle it...bad deal..

It must feel so good to be right all the time.....
Click "Ignore"..get rid of the whore..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
or the overly 'helpful' guy that continues giving novice advice no matter what you do. The long distance plan idea sounds like a keeper- pretty dang funny that!!! I really like one or two of the range masters but they can easily double the time spent. Usually I am on an off day with nothing pressing so the time is pleansantly passed - but nothing worse than having the luxury of being one of only a few folks on the range having to politely listen as you watch shooter after shooter trickle in and fill the place. I have gotten some great tips and shot some wonderfully tuned pistols as a result so there is a rather equitable trade off I supppose. You earn a little trust and they have your back if you feel need to point out someone screwing up\around. Of course it is rewarding to help a clueless newbie or someone with an abvious (but not to them) fix. One more thing- by a casual conversation I discovered this campfire and have met other campfire members. Good guys all. Shout out to Bruce and Carlos.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob, that guy's rifles sound amazing. I would have much enjoyed the conversation about the rifles and the history behind them. As a matter of fact I would rather talk snow tires than get locked down on a bench with a .375 H&H! I'm sure the man saw you with that Empire rifle and knew he was in good company. I would imagine in his eye's he was just sharing some of his treasure with you. I know how you feel though, I work an honest 65-70 hours a week. When I get to go hunting or shooting it's like a small vacation for me. For me time isn't money, it's much more valuable.

Back years ago when I shot at a public range I had it worse than you. It was run by the county and manned by our jail inmates as "helpers". When you went to the range you could bet you were going to get an ear full of jail house religion, law and you were going to hear comments like "man, they'll throw a [bleep] in here for anything. This just ain't right." You also knew you were going to have to answer three questions too. "NO, I don't smoke so you can't have a cigarette." "NO, I don't have any spare change." and NO, I will not meet your cousin and bring some dope to the range."

I was lucky enough to acquire private land to shoot on about 6 years ago. It was very close to the spot where this picture was taken that I found out I didn't like the .375H&H! When taken it was a perfect day. The weather wonderful and the I couldn't seem to miss. I keep a copy of this picture in my head. When things get tough at work I go there. Bob, you're invited. HA! wink

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One day at the range about 20 years ago, there was a guy trying to sight in his brand new 375 Ouch & Ouch, getting ready for a trip to Africa.

Got into a bit of chat about the gun, offered me a chance to shoot it.

So I've been able to say ever since that I've shot one of them cannons...albeit once was enough!

Last edited by sir_springer; 12/11/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bob - Even worse, a regular at my range always comes up to look at what you have and then wants to buy it or trade for it. Keeps talking and talking. Drives me absolutely crazy!!!

Kevin Haile
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I met a fellow older than me last time at the range.He was shooting an old 45-70 Sharps reporoduction just for the fun of it. He doesn't get out much as his wife has Alzhiemers. So he sure doesn't get to talk to a lot of folks. I enjoyed it and I am sure he did too.

Some of us get too wound up in all this stuff.It can be annoying

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
grin

Different country, same problems! Handling rifles while people are downrange, checking targets every 3 rounds while they are shooting their rifle off sleeping bags (or nothing), long and loud conversation behind the benches, the guy with the SKS setting up on the bench immediately to your left, the "let me tell you everything there is to know about my Savage 300 Thunder Jet and why it's better than your 270", it never ends...

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Interesting thread.

I think we've all met the village idiots at the range, and the occasional boor. Met some really good people, too. If a man has an interesting rifle though, well he's just earned at least five or ten minutes of my time usually. Maybe an hour if he's an elder gent and needs somebody to talk to...

You did good hearing him out, Bob.

One of my best friends is an octogenarian WWII vet who has become the grandfather I never knew. Met him on a gun collector forum of all places. Since he had been a Marine and my Dad was a Marine, we had the Corps in common to talk about and went from there.

My wife thought it was crazy when we went to meet him and his bride for the first time! "Somebody you met on the internet..." but it turned out to be just fine. Now we talk guns and shooting, and about the war if he feels like it. I visited the grave of his squad leader while on vacation in Hawaii a few years ago and it was pretty humbling. My friend doesn't think he'll make it out there again to pay his respects, so I did it for him.

Thanks to a chance encounter on the internet and an odd friendship, a man who died before I was born is not forgotten. Works for me.

Last edited by ClydeM70; 12/11/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like more of an issue than one might imagine.

Idea...???

A lot of effort has been, wisely, put into range safety and ethics over the years, and has been generally accepted across the US and Canada.

How about initiating a "Code of Courtesy" for ranges?

Could perhaps happen through well written articles in popular magazines...?

Could also start with one major range/club developing a good code, and then spreading the concept via magazines and outlets such as this site to ranges across the two countries. Takes time, no doubt, but a good idea, reasonably conceived, can spread on its own.

Just a thought.

Other sports, f'rinstance, golf, have such codes of sorts.

Last edited by sir_springer; 12/11/08.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I enjoy admiring other's guys interesting rifles and sharing information at the range, but some people don't realise that you are primarily there to shoot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The worst thing about a bore isnt that he wont stop talking, its that he wont let you stop listening!

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Almost had a Brinks employee conviced to let me shoot their truck with the 7.After some thought he let me shoot his handgun instead.

grin

Camp is where you make it.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,333
Posts18,526,724
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.