Hop To
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Duplicated question ...

what are you guys using for powder funnels on these little bitty 17 caliber necks?

Last edited by Seafire; 12/08/08.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I use my rockchucker I have an RCBS powder funnel, they make one specifically for the 17s. I hate to say it but my 17rem is very accurate but a pain in the ARS to load for, bullets are small and the charges are small. I am looking for a good ball powder to use in my LNL for the 17 powder holds up in the neck and won't flow if I don't use a ball powder. Do you have any suggestions. Thanks, HAPPY HUNTING

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I can get the powder to flow thru the neck...I use Lee dippers, and a 505 beam scale... I just pour the powder slowly down the funnel...

I was loading some with SR 4759 which is a pretty bulky powder...and was having no problems....

Powders like Benchmark, H 322, H 4198, IMR 4227, H 4227 are all real user friendly for that small of a neck... just pour it in slowly via the 505 scales pan...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Russ Haydon http://www.shooters-supply.com/ sells the nice aluminum/brass funnels in caliber-specific sizes. I bought one each for .17 and .20 use. I also have the MTM (?) multipiece funnel, but it if I recall, it was convoluted to assemble a working configuration.
When I realized loading the .17 or .20 using my RCBS powder measure was not going to work, I checked and RCBS makes a .17 tube, but where to buy? One call to RCBS, and the sweet gal who answered sent me one for free!

Greg

NRA/TSRA Life
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I weigh each charge on the scale for my .17 Rem and then poor it through the RCBS funnel into the case.

A pain for sure, but when dancing around max loads with the .17Rem, I like to be more safe than sorry.

Travis

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use the funnel kit that has all of the adapters for different cals. 17 through 45 . It works well with my 17 Rem.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have one of those MTM funnels with the attachment drop tubes..
problem being, mine didn't come with an attachment tube that goes down to 17... just down to 22 calibers..but it did work on the 204...

I'll give RBCS a call..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just an idea, but would a .204 case cut in half and turned upside down fit over the .17 case neck? Then put your funnel on the cut case. It might work.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by FC363
Just an idea, but would a .204 case cut in half and turned upside down fit over the .17 case neck? Then put your funnel on the cut case. It might work.

you know FC, that isn't a bad idea..I'll try that.. I have a whole bunch of cases in all sorts of calibers that I can sacrifice that have been damaged in one way or another...

I have several buckets of them...

thanks for the tip...

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by FC363

Well I actually took a 223 case, and did the same thing.. cut it open and it works perfectly... Rube Goldberg, but it works!

Tomorrow when I have time I am going to upgrade myself from a 223 case to a 22.250 case, and then we will really be stylin'...

might even use a nickel one, then we be stylin and purdy ta boot!!!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A nickel case would be stylin. Glad it worked for ya!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had an old Herter's funnel in my junk drawer, good for cases down to .22 but no smaller.

I pressed a small blob of Bondo into the lower nozzle of the funnel and let it cure. When it was hard, I drilled a .15" hole through it and then used a Dremel stone to cut the Bondo into an inverted "V" to hold a case neck. Done. For free.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a RCBS funnel labeled "17 CAL". I don't remember where I bought it though.

Steve

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ruger243223
When I use my rockchucker I have an RCBS powder funnel, they make one specifically for the 17s. I hate to say it but my 17rem is very accurate but a pain in the ARS to load for, bullets are small and the charges are small. I am looking for a good ball powder to use in my LNL for the 17 powder holds up in the neck and won't flow if I don't use a ball powder. Do you have any suggestions. Thanks, HAPPY HUNTING

For the .17 Remington, H380 is pretty good with 25 grain bullets and AA 2520 with the 20 grainers. There seems to be a lot of variation in H380 data. Some of Hornady's earlier loads maxed out lighter than their later stuff so (a) work with the most current data you can get and (b) be careful.

Mostly I shot IMR 4320, weighted my charges, and by pouring them into the funnel a little at a time rather than dumping the whole thing at once, I didn't have any issues with powder kernels bridging. It's only when there's a whole bunch in the funnel at once that you run into that.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
When useing IMR 4320 I weigh each charge and pour through RCBS funnel, bought it through Huntingtons in Oroville, CA. If throwing charges by volume Ball powder like Win 760 works well.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Seafire-- My funnel of choice for all the calibers I reload for is the aluminum Satern funnels. They are not inexpensive, but well worth the cost to me. They are caliber specific. They have a heavy brass end the fits over the casing neck and keeps the funnel in solid contact with the case neck. I like the aluminum material rather than plastic because plastic seems to pick up static electricity and might impede the flow of powder down into the casing. Here's a link to this product at Sinclair International:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=REPMMP&item=11-9X&type=store

Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
By the way, powder not only flows better but packs better if you "swirl" it into the funnel rather than dumping it in the center. Pour it towards the edge of the funnel so that it "toilet bowls" its way down and through. "Mic" McPherson has done testing that seems to show the rounds even ignite better when charged this way. Darn if I could explain it, but his data is interesting to say the least.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have four of the Satern funnels and they do work well, but the surface on them is ridged and they dont let the charge swirl nearly as well as a Redding or Hornady plastic funnel. Just to check it out, I put 77grs of IMR4350 in a .375 H&H case and set a bullet on top of it. The OAL was .035 shorter when swirled in with a regular Redding funnel. As a matter of fact, the powder didnt swirl at all in the Satern funnel.

The case had been fired, but not resized so the bullet would sit on top of the powder.

HODGDON BLC-2 WORKS WELL GOT MY FUNNEL AT SPORTSMANS 4.95 GREEN AND PLASTIC RCBS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

374 members (1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 40 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,316
Posts18,526,374
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.