-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Never really looked at one of these except maybe to roll my eyes at the ads, but I do have a serious question about them.

How is their stability?

I had a 250 cc Yamaha Timberwolf ATV for cruising the logging roads and sagebrush hills. With any central saddle type ATV, shifting the rider's weight around was one of the main tactics for keeping the wheels on the bottom. Even then, steep inclines - up, down or crosswise, could sometimes be a little exhilarating to put it mildly.

With the SxS - Short wheel base, rider(s) sitting up high, no way to shift around much - looks like a recipe for turnovers.

So how do these really work in real hills and nasty terrain?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim, I dont have one but I have used a 6x6 ranger alot. I am really amazed. I thought they would be a death wish.

I've used them on steep sidehills (where you naturally lean uphill), up and down steep grades, empty and pulling a decent load. I love them, you still got to be smart but they are great.

Tight trees suck though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been really impressed with Kawasaki Teryx. It goes through the trails we have and handles the terrain great. It has never shown signs of being unstable.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have seen people fall out of them.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hope they didn't spill their beers when they fell out. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just purchased a Yamaha Rhino. The stability is not an issue. Little wider and longer than what I had. Once again, common sense prevails when operating. Goes where I point it, and with a lot more comfort than my atv.

Stupidity and motivation are a horrible combination
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I though this was about DBL BBL shotguns. grin

Last edited by Hubert; 11/09/08.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There have been 30 some people killed in Rhinos and the feds are investigating it. It remains to be seen whether the problem is the Rhino or just stupid drivers, or both

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There have been 30 some people killed in Rhinos and the feds are investigating it. It remains to be seen whether the problem is the Rhino or just stupid drivers, or both

I vote it's stupid drivers.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
absolutely-I have countless hours in everything from amts to gators and mules and have never had a wreck...

A shootin iron is a tool used for shootin
much like
a branding iron is a tool used for branding

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I haven't had my Rhino but a few months, so still learning some of it's limits. I purchased it new (too hard to pass up some of the deals they are offering). It seems considerably more stable than the Grizzly I sold to finance it's purchase. But as others before have stated, the aptitude of the operator is the biggest factor. Yamaha did have a recall to add half doors and additional hand holds, which all new ones now leave the factory with. These can be quickly remedied by a new owner if they so wish. I, for now have left all intact.
I have found the Rhino is alot more useful around the house, then the Grizzly (or any previous ATV's) had been. The dump bed has numerous uses, and the Rhino is even getting the nod instead of the Kubota tractor in some uses. The ability to carry 2 people safely, plus gear has it's advantages at the hunting camp also. The only negative I personally have found, is the fact it won't fit in the truck bed. It has to be trailered back and forth between home and camp. Sometimes it was nice just to run the ATV up into the truck bed and make a quick trip to hunt. The Rhino also requires a trailer at least 10 feet in length. Naturally of course,(because I have a 8 foot ATV trailer), so I have to use my heavy duty (heavy)16 foot lowboy.

NRA Patron Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Firearms Acquisitioner and Accumulator
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We have had the 4x4 Ranger for about 4 years now and absolutely zero problems or concerns, very nice for hunting, we take folks to stands and pick up downed animals and also for general ranch work like fencing etc. We have not had any stability problems, but we don't "off road" it like some Baja racer either. I do wish it were quieter.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (2500HD, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 160user, 2UP, 18 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,779
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.