Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by birddog65
I want to take it deer hunting , but don't want to devalue it too much. Is it that impressive on deer ? Anybody got any 180 Speer 358 bullets that they are not using? thanks, Mark.

Do you want to die a happy man? Don't warehouse your stuff. If you want to leave the gun to your kids or grandkids, they will be even more proud of it when they know that you killed a bunch of deer with it.

Steelhead made a great point. A 30K pickemup truck ends up in the junkpile, but the rifle will carry on despite being used.

Been there.........

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...how about $1250+. One just sold on GunBroker the Saturday for $1250 and one just a few weeks ago for $1295...this is insane.

Too bad Marlin isn't bright enough to bring back the .307 and .356...apparently they could sell some.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At those prices I plan to sell mine, mint, likely unfired, will put it on auctionarms.com as I am blackballed by gunbroker.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
GB blackballed me too for a couple of weeks. They said they had warned me three times about using an anonymous server. I never received any warnings. Finally, after I promised to be a good boy, they reinstated me. Thanks...Bill.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a healthy collection of firearms. They all get shot when I have time to do so. The hunting rifles get rotated out for hunting too. Kinda fun to hunt with a M95 Winchester chambered for 30 US (30-40 Krag) or an Enfield SMLE - all using my handloads. This is what makes me happy.

This is entirely a personal decision. Nothing wrong with having collectibles that you want to keep pristine if that's what makes YOU happy.

But you asked my opinion and my opinion is hunt it! smile

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RJM
...how about $1250+. One just sold on GunBroker the Saturday for $1250 and one just a few weeks ago for $1295...this is insane.

Too bad Marlin isn't bright enough to bring back the .307 and .356...apparently they could sell some.

Bob

Marlin is busy promoting their own new calibers. I doubt that they'll be resurecting two failed Winchester offerings - unfortunately... we'll see a "350 Marlin" before they bring back the .356 Winny.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Yes do what you want of course - it's yours.

But since you asked for opinions, I have been hunting my 336ER since before is was a collectible. Its got honest hunting wear and tear and has killed a few big critters along the way. I wouldn't have it any other way. I have even loaned it to my son to hunt. Happy times. When I'm thru with it if I get a few extra $$$ thats all a bonus.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Birddog:

I had a somewhat similar conundrum recently when wanting both a piece of land on which to build a house and having several rifles, several still NIB and solved it by slowly selling off the unused rifles and handguns to either collectors or mostly to those wanting to blast away with leverguns. Someone made a comment to me like "they still make guns every day but no so with the land" or something similar.

My point is if you don't want to bugger up the finish or devalue the rifle with use and don't have any sentimental value to the rifle maybe sell it and get a "beater" to use. That caliber is a good one and pretty desirable to many so depending on what you paid, you could well get your purchase price back, a new lever gun in the deal and maybe just maybe a little extra if you are well bought with the 336 ER. I regret buying one when they came out but slaked my misery with a 1895 in 45-70 and all but forgot about my regret.

Be safe

Patty

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
After further review.

If you have no sentimental connection or desire to start a collection. Then I would say sell the 336ER and buy a new Malin 338ME when it comes out. You could take the difference in money and buy a second Marlin 336 in 35 Rem or 30-30. Isn't two guns better than one??????

Three things that do you no good: Runway behind you, altitude above you, and fuel left at the pumps!
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
To all that replied, I did take the rifle hunting this year---Killed a nice little 7 point on opening morning. It is now on gunbroker as I write this. It did not "float my boat" I am a die hard Savage 99 guy, and probably will be until I die. Marlins are nice--smooth , accurate, handy, but Savages are in a whole diff. league.

If you really like something,you better buy two!
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Good luck on the sale. Hope you make out well and have some left over for another 99. I havn't owned one yet but like the variety of caliber choices and possible takedown option...

Be safe

Patty

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

It is insane. They sell for that because people think they are worth it. However, $1000 is will not even turn your head on most other guns. Coopers, Noslers, Kimbers, and many others that cost substantially more than that are hunted with and hunted hard.

Why is that model so overpriced? Only 2500 made? How many Marlins can you name that have a smaller production number than the ER? Several no doubt and the price is not so inflated on those models.

Hunt with it if you wish and don't worry about surface scratches, they are extremely easy to fix/remove on a Marlin.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,184
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.