-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a friend of my Dad's growing up who was a co-pilot of a B-24 and his second mission was the oil raid on Ploesti. Didn't work too well for him and he spent the rest of the war in a Romanian POW camps. Said it could have been a lot worse and indeed the quarters were better than what he had in North Africa.

Last edited by Pugs; 12/13/08. Reason: clarification

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by KenH
Well,I'll be dipped. I just watched that same episode and thought the same thing. It WAS a nice Krag.
That's very had to believe. His rifle, every time I've seen it, was a Mauser 98.

He did have a 30-40 Kreg at least in the early shows. They also used Thompson sub-machine guns is many of the early episodes which makes historical sense as the Germans had as well as had access to truck loads of Thompsons. The Germans also had access to truck loads of 1911's too and used them quite a lot WWII.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
What's so strange about a POW guard having a Krag? Run a Google search for "Nazi Krag" and you will find that Germany used Krags as substitute rifles for non-line units. What could be more appropriate than issuing them to guards at a POW camp inside Germany?

Of course that doesn't explain the episode where a drunken Schultz is guarding Hogan's boys with an MP40 that suddenly becomes a Thompson from a different camera angle, then reverts back.

Stryker60

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Norway, used Krags. The NAZIs invaded Norway and confiscated Norwegian weapons, so I guess it could have happened.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Even today, troops use whatever gets the job done...

[Linked Image]

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just because it's a Kraig, does not mean it's a .30-40! It could have been 8X58rimmed, or 6.5X55 as well.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Dan C.. You are right on the caliber. I could only go from personal experience with the Krag rifle. I looked it up and sure enough it was chambered in other rounds as well.
I mostly commented because it is shear luck I spotted the Krag on Sgt Shultz's shoulder. It was so apparent as you could see the lever/thumb peice or whatever nomenclature is correct on the side of the box magazine that opened to load or top off rounds. The scene had Hogan and Shultz facing the camera so the magazine was clearly visible. I also believe that may weapons from both sides found their way into combat from the "other side" I guess I was just expecting to see a 98 Mauser. Then again, as I said, it is Holly weird.

Last edited by Ruger 4570; 12/13/08.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Pugs
Had a friend of my Dad's growing up who was a co-pilot of a B-24 and his second mission was the oil raid on Ploesti. Didn't work too well for him and he spent the rest of the war in a Romanian POW camps. Said it could have been a lot worse and indeed the quarters were better than what he had in North Africa.
Pugs, wasn't the Ploesti 'raid' actually a campaign to destroy the Romanian refineries? Also there was one or two B-24's that missed their navigation back to their northern Africa air base/s that stranded their crew/s in the desert to die long lingering deaths when no rescue came (Lady Be Good and Strawberry Bitch are the two 'ships' I remember). Are you knowlkedageable of the details regarding their fates?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Just because it's a Kraig, does not mean it's a .30-40! It could have been 8X58rimmed, or 6.5X55 as well.

Dan

I always thought the 6.5x55 in a Krag action was a little dangerous due to the one locking lug.

But IIRC,the Krag was built around that round,so I guess the old time 6.5 ammo was pretty low pressure.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 160user, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,047
Posts18,482,245
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.