CCI shorts is what I use, wisper quiet

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
The Colibri 'might' be powerful enough if you set the muzzle against the raccons forehead and squeezed the trigger. I know they are powerful enough to 'pop' balloons.

They went through both sides of my metal garage downspout at about 15 yards. blush Quieter than my RWS .177 springer out of my CZ 527 bolt action and accurate enough for backyard dispatching.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was testing out some cci cb shorts when we lived out away from town. I was fairly suprised that a round with such a light pop would penetrate a 2X4 through the skinny side. I figure if it can make it through 1 1/2" of wood at 25 feet, it'll do just fine for small game.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I have killed a LOT of stuff with a CB short. That said, the CCI Subsonic LR HP is the killin'-est quiet bastid I've ever used.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by antlers
The Colibri 'might' be powerful enough if you set the muzzle against the raccons forehead and squeezed the trigger. I know they are powerful enough to 'pop' balloons.

They went through both sides of my metal garage downspout at about 15 yards. blush Quieter than my RWS .177 springer out of my CZ 527 bolt action and accurate enough for backyard dispatching.

That's pretty impressive...and surprising! I like em'.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Although they are louder than an air rifle the Remmington .22lr subsonics are quiet enough to shoot w/o hearing protection.
Accurate and a 38gr hollow point. What I plink with by the bunches.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck
Raccoons are not wimp animals (I've killed a couple), and will need more than pellet rifle performance.

And where some ammo discussed here is marginal, bullet placement would be critical beginning with a powerful-enough projectile.

Agreed on all counts. What these rimfire rounds have in spades over the air rifles which they equal in speed is bullet weight. 29 grains is several times what an air rifle pellet weighs and kills 30 pound animals quite easily at modest distances. The chest is the correct shot in my opinion. (I have yet to see a feral dog fail to tip over quickly after a chest shot. Head shots are, as someone correctly said, questionable, and won't guarantee much other than a likely head ache.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
CB longs are by far the quietest I used. They are even more quiet than the shorts for some reason. They sound about as loud as a pellet gun but does a whole lot more damage.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm going to have to do some 'penetration tests,' not to argue with anyone here - but for my own interest and satisfaction.

First time I ever heard about shooting 'ultra quiet' .22's was when I read about some freelancing duck hunters who would use an ocassional .22 Short to dispatch squirrels when floating for and jumping mallards from a canoe, and a bushytail would be in a tree near or overhanging the meandering river. They didn't want to spook the ducks.

Also I've put .22 CB's through a 1-inch plained board "that was supposed to be heavy enough" for a backstop.

For you fellows who think a CCI .22LR Subsonic is "quiet" enough, also give a good look at the CCI .22LR Std Vel load (40grn lead bullet at @1070fps, very similar to the Subsonic's velocity).

Plus the CCI .22LR Pistol Match and CCI Green Label loads also propel 40grn lead bullets at similar "standard" and "subsonic" speeds - @1050 to 1070fps.

In addition, the CCI .22LR SGB load (small game bullet) has a meplat on it's 40grn solid lead bullet nose, but has a MV of 1235-1255fps and resulting loader report.

Anything from CCI in a Short or Long that has a copper wash or jacket will be higher velocity and noisier, compared to the CB caps and the .22 Short Target round.

I haven't ever shot the Aguila Colibre or Super Colibre (advertised velocities are 375fps and 500fps respectively), but if those bullets are too short without enough bearing surface, accuracy will indeed suffer. However those who have shot them accurately and like their penetration -why fix what ain't broke? (I have shot the Aguila SSS 60grnr, an interesting load!)

The point was also made by another poster that a 29 grain lead bullet is considerably heavier than a typical pelletgun pellet - which is true! And indeed a huge advantage dispatching a 30# critter.

A longer .22 barrel (20inches or more) also helps to dampen noise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
(I have shot the Aguila SSS 60grnr, an interesting load!)

Those keyhole out of my CZ 527 at 25 yards.

A longer .22 barrel (20inches or more) also helps to dampen noise.

Yep, the Aquila that is very quiet out of my CZ rifle is damn loud out of a .22 revolver.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've shot the super colibiri, at in the house range it was accurate enough. Then I shot some at the range at a 25 yd target. I could see the bullets flying, and their flight pas was that of a corkscrew, and needless to say the pattern at 25 yd was paper plate size and then some. If you're rifle shoots them accurately, great, as all you hear is the click of the hammer hitting the firing pin, and a wump when the bullet hits the target (from a 20+" barrel). But I'd expect minimal penetration and hence terminal performance.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Recommended rifling twist to stabilize the Aguila SSS round is 1-9inches, versus the average 1-16 most manufacturers use for the standard .22LR.

I mentioned I haven't shot any Colibre's or Super Colibre's, but RimfireCentral.com offers a very informative forum for the rimfire purist or enthusiast.

According to RFC the the Colibre is primer-powered only (for @375fps), whereas the Super Colibre has just enough powder in it to boost velocity to it's advertised 500fps.

Disgressing a little; Many .22 shooters want to shoot the CCI Stinger but find they can't "accurately" because that 32grain bullet is too short - quite literally, and doesn't have enough bearing surface along the bullet sides to allow the bullet to "sleep" or stabilize before exiting the muzzle. The Stinger does not have a reputation for being a universally accurate round. Most guns either shoot the Stinger well or they don't do well with it at all.

I bet that's also a frequent problem with many Colibre/Super Colibre firt timers or experimenters. And it seems the Colibre/Super Colibre cone-shaped bullet is [25grains?] making it a pretty short bullet too (if I remember correctly).

Wouldn't a barrel "faster" than 1-in-16 be better for shooting Colibre's/Super Colibre's?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fast twist barrel should exacerbate the problems with the clibre/super colibre.

If you wanted a purpose built colibre gun I'd say a 1-20 or maybe 1-24 twist and a custom reamed chamber to the dimensions of the bullet.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I read and had to prove to myself the super colibri can bounce back at ya from a green limb. I did and it did. Off a 1.5 inch thick mesquite limb 20 feet away and bounced back 3 foot beside me hitting a wall.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been shooting the new Remington 22 LR "CBee" HP-it's their Yellowjacket bullet at about 750 FPS.

VERY accurate out of my guns,much more so than CCI CB Longs.

Give them a try,they're pretty reasonably priced.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
A "new" Remington CBee? If so, I'm a happy camper.........

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
LET'S TALK MUZZLE VEL.,BULLET WEIGHT, AND ENERGY laugh

I know for a fact someone uses the CB Long to shoot tree rats and he's used a bunch of brands. The quietest by far out of his rifle (a semi auto) with a scope is

THE CB LONG !!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't have enough poop to work the action and is a bit of a pain to load singularly rounds. He key holes rounds at 50' and has shot out to 100' effectively.

The CB Long has a muzzle vel. of 710 fps and energy of 32# with a 29 grain bullet. IT IS QUIETER THAN MANY PELLET RIFLES.....

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I would not engage anything the size of a raccoon with any of the CB type backyard ammo. Try either SK Subsonic Hollow Points or RWS Subsonic Hollow Points. They are expensive but noticeably more quite than high velocity ammo and somewhat quiter than standard velocity ammo. Superbly accurate and very deadly when properly placed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know what you carry for deer hunting but...why not load up some subsonic loads for that rifle and use them on the racoons? At close range the sight/scope will be close enough for racoon and a rifle bullet loaded to 500fps has way more energy than a .22, unless of course your using a .22 as a deer gun.

for example, .308 150gr FP bullet and 8.0gr Trail Boss powder.
or 7-30Waters 140gr SP and 8.0gr Trail Boss. These are in the 700fps range. I actually use Trail Boss to load my subsonic ammo to ~1000fps for use with a suppressor. These loads were my starting loads.

This has the advantage of not carrying another gun. Just make sure you pay attention to what ammo you load in the rifle. Could be very disappointing to shoot a subsonic round at a deer 100 yards away when you thought you had a full power load in the chamber.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,044 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,470
Posts18,508,544
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.