Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
As most of you have heard on the news, the Ford motor company is recalling all the tires on their SUVs at an estimated cost of 3 billion dollars. That is 13 million tires, all of them Firestone tires. This is, according to Ford, to make their customers feel more secure without questionable tires. <BR> This will certainly cause a major financial loss to Firestone, perhaps enough to declare bankruptcy. Any thoughts?

We may rise and fall, but in the end, we meet our fate together.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glad my last name isn't Firestone!.........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Big Hunter: From what I've read so far, estimated loss of Ford to Bridgestone/Firestone is 200-250 million annually. Which is a drop in the bucket to them. Total cost to Ford of replacing this last batch of Firestone tires is 1.2 billion. What happens in the courts, and the percentage of responsibility that each have to take, is going to be the deciding factor. The biggest hurt is going to come from suits dealing with all those deaths. My opinion is that Firestone will reach a low point in the next few years. Merge with someone the likes of Michelin, and come out smelling like a rose in the next 5-10 years.<P>Phil

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wish I could buy some of those take offs. Anyone have a friend? -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I heard Fords business made up only 5% of Firestones total sales, and Firestone basically said so what, big deal!

Work Hard, Play Hard, Die Hard!
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I seen it stated that Ford only made up 5% of Firestones sales, Firestone basically said so what. I think its more of the perception or statement against Firestone that will hurt them more than the actual lost sales.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
There was big write up in our newspaper today about all the different car dealers not being able to sell cars with Firestone tires on them. People were asking that they be replaced as part of the deal.<P>Personally, I dont blame them.<P>------------------<BR> <A HREF="http://TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com" TARGET=_blank>TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com</A>

<A HREF="http://TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com" TARGET=_blank>TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com</A>
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ford has been asking a very good question of Firestone; "why are your tires the only ones we have problems with?" And Firestone has been asking the same question of Ford;"Why are your SUVs the only ones we are having trouble with?"<P>Seems like a simple, basic incompatability to me. Both companies will spend far more in court than they would if they simply backed away from each other.<BR>art<P>------------------<BR>Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Firestone is partly blaming Ford because they were under inflating the tires on the Explorers to below Firestones recommended specs. So that is why both parties are being sued and not just Firestone.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have a 2000 Saturn station wagon. This car has 4 wheel disc brakes, and 4 wheel independent suspension, which is a sport suspension and on the stiff side. The first couple times I sent this car in for service. It came back with the tires deflated to 19 pounds, and I had to air them back up. I think you'll find that when allot of people complain to dealers, about a model being rough riding. The first thing the dealer does is deflate the tires. So Before you buy a new car, check tire pressure. And if you do buy a new car with the stiff sport suspension, especially if your wife is the main driver. Check tire inflation as soon as you get it back from the shop.<P>Pay attention to the tire manufacturer specs., and not the vehicle specs.<P>Phil

IC B3

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gentlemen, Just to clarify a few things, Ford is doing the recall this time. Firestone is not participating, which is why Ford and Firestone split up. Ford wanted Firestone to help pay for the recall and Firestone said it was not warranted. Thus, they split the blanket. Ford was faced with losing sales of cars and trucks and is doing this to regain credibility with the public. Also, it makes them look real good for any future lawsuits. IMHO, Firestone is in a world of hurt if anyone gets hurt due to a tread separation from this point on, since they have elected not to recall any more tires. That could get real expensive in US courts. <P>I have the AT Wilderness tires on a Dodge Pickup I just bought and keep hoping Firestone will recall them. They were not covered by the original recall as they are 16 inch and they are not covered by the current recall as they are not installed on a Ford. They are noisy and do not ride well but my main concern is this is the third time in the last thirty years that Firestone has had similar problems. I will drive these a few more months and then will go to the expense of replacing them myself, if they are not recalled. TM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been driving my 4x4 Chev Suburban hunting and fishing truck since 1981. It started out with 950x16.5" 8 ply from the factory and I had to reduce the pressure. I then bought new 16" wheels and went to Good Year LT265x75Rx16, again I had to reduce pressure unless pulling a trailer or carrying a heavy load. That's 20 years with no problems but good sidewalls. I just had to buy a new set of tires on Oldsmobile with Firestone because a round tooth pick punctured the sidewall and no one would repair it. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I have been doing some research on this Ford / Firestone issue and have come to the conclusion that both are at fault. The Firestone tires in question are put on a variety of vehicles of various manufacture both as standard equipment and as aftermarket items. The vast majority of the problems has been with these same tires sold on the Ford Explorer. Why does the Explorer have the biggest death rate? Well it appears that the weight distribution on the Explorer is not up to par. There is 160 pounds more weight over the left rear tire than the other 3. The left rear is where, I think it is 80%, of the tire failures occured. With this aside, Firestones quality should be up to handling this extra stress. It seems that heat is a factor. Add this extra weight, low tire pressue and hot climate and walla....you have a disaster. Just to be safe I do not intend to buy an Explorer or Firestone tires in the near future. HOSS

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I wonder if these two recalls within the past year or so will hurt Firestone's business enough to have a major effect. Perhaps the recall won't hurt them, it is just public opinion. I really don't know what will happen today.

We may rise and fall, but in the end, we meet our fate together.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just my two cents worth but I just put a new set of Michlin LT235-75 R15 on my 86 S-10 Blazer 4x4. These replaced the last set of the same tires that went a verifiable 92,400 miles and still had a legal amount of tread left. I replaced them as they were starting to show signs of dry rot on the sidewalls. All I ever do is check the air pressure every couple of weeks and rotate every 5,000 mi.<P>This is mostly Florida and some NM miles plus the back and forth between the two.<P>Best $450.00 I have spent on tires ever.<P>------------------<BR><B>T LEE</B><BR>Remember: There is no such thing as OVERKILL. Just a generous margin of SAFETY! <P><B>APATHY!.........Freedoms greatest enemy!</B>

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow, 92,000 miles, I'm impressed.<P>Best I ever got was 40 plus out of, believe it or not, a factory set of Generals on a f150. Between railroad gravel on the back roads around here, and the locust trees on my ranch, I am a regular at the tire repair shop. I quit counting mileage, just buy them when I have to, which is pretty often.<P>I like Fords, but as far as the Ford/Firestone deal is concerned, I think there is some fault on both sides with the Explorer issue. And like someone pointed out, Ford is reacting to its customers with the latest recall and Firestone, with some rational, IMO, did not want to share in the expense. Would I drive Firestone tires on an Explorer, don't have one, but do have an Expedition and if someone wants to give me some of those like new takeoffs, I'll be glad to come and get them. Like Need One, I think the public is overreacting, as usual.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (17CalFan, 222Sako, 1234, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 3,180 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,710
Posts18,534,854
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.