Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N

My wife ordered me my reloading kit for X-Mas. I told her which one I wanted and the dies, so they're already here (still in the box). I've read the ABC's of Reloading about 4 times over the past year, and believe I'm ready to start this process soon. I have few questions for those of you with experience though.

The only working area's I have are in my basement (with the woodstove about 25 feet away running 60% of the time in fall & winter), or my unheated garage. I'm really inclined to work in the basement, but my concern is the heat. Will the fluxuation of temps from 65 - 85 bother or cause a problem with the powders, primers, etc?

I could keep them in the garage, but I'm guessing that the much larger fluxuation of temps would be worse. It is also much more damp out there in the spring and summer months.

Also, would I be better off putting some foam insulation on the inside of the cabinet to moderate the fluxuation?

Also, the day after X-Mas I'm heading out to pick up my bullets, powder, etc. as my store is having a sale. On that trip I'll be picking up my calipers, shell holders and would like to get a powder thrower. Any recommendation a basic powder thrower?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I Like my Lyman 55 powder measure. Not sure if that model number is still 55 but it is pretty basic but does what it's supposed to without fuss.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't worry about the temp variences that you listed.If the humidity/dampness is a major concern for you then powder storage in GI ammo cans will work just peachy.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N

Thanks Steve and 284.

I've been contemplating the Lyman and the RCBS powder throwers as I've seen good feedback on both.

284 - thanks for the insight on the temp variation. That was my biggest concern and in the basement humidity is not a problem.

Any additional insight is appreciated.

Mike.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like my RCBS powder measure(s), but one of these days I'm gonna give the Redding BR3 a try.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've been measuring individual charges for years now and, except for when I throw together target loads for my 44 mag or my brother-in-law's .40 S&W I don't miss a thrower.... powder measure.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mike, I'm assuming that your kit has a powder scale. Is that correct? You really need a powder scale. I would hold off a bit on acquiring a powder thrower. Depending on what you are reloading (and the volume that you are reloading) you may not wind up really using one much. After you have been loading for a bit, you will be better able to judge that. Just my thoughts. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Will the fluxuation of temps from 65 - 85 bother or cause a problem with the powders, primers, etc?"

No.

You would do well to look at the Redding Mod 3 measure (not a BR model, they only drop small charges), or it's clone from Hornady.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Sorry, I should have included the link to the kit. It was ordered through Midsouthshooterssupply but their website wasn't cooperting a few minutes ago.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=140616

I also picked up the RCBS 30-06 two die set.

5sdad - thanks for the insight. I will only be reloading for the 06 for a while, and will not be shooting a high quantity of ammo. Once I get the process down, I'll move onto my 300 savage and 30-30.

Thanks again everyone.

Mike.

Edited for Sunday night typo!

Last edited by NH Hunter; 12/21/08.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mike, given your intentions, I would definitely hold off on the thrower. Something that I would pick up is a Lee trimmer. It will need two parts, the lock stud and the cutter/length gauge for your 06. Very inexpensive and a good way to both measure your cases and trim them uniformly should they need it - provides peace of mind as much as anything. Not sure if you have some already, but you might want to pick up some plastic ammo boxes to keep loaded rounds in. You are also going to need something to hold powder and scoop it with. An old coffee cup and a plastic spoon will work, but a set of Lee dippers (I just use them to get a general charge to the scale and then to add or subtract from the pan rather than using them as intended.) is another inexpensive acquistion that I really appreciate having. (I'm not connected with Lee - just like many of their products.) Some sort of notebook to keep track of your loads as well as number of times each case has been loaded and things like that is also something that you will want. (One of the most important things in loading is record-keeping.) Hope that I am not being overly "helpful" here - just trying to remember things I suggested to my son when he started up. Welcome to the world of reloading. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I used an RCBS Uniflow measure for many years...but now have a Redding BR measure with a large & small cylinder..I would also suggest a baffle placed in the hopper...start with one caliber and learn it well..no hurry/no distractions...watch the ads here for good deals on components & tools...Take a look at Lee deluxe die sets and Forster & Redding dies too...

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'd get a case trimmer too (I like Lyman) and hold off on the powder measure (I like RCBS over Lyman, I find it easier to adjust)

I've been loading for 30 years and for small quantities, I still do the plastic spoon method.

Dale

This space for rent

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N

Thanks everyone.

Have a great holiday.

Mike.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've used a Lyman #55 Powder Measure ("powder thrower") since I first began reloading in 1962. I like to set the powder measure to throw a load of powder about 1/10th to 2/10ths "lighter" than the load I actually want into the RCBS's Model 1010 powder scale's powder-pan, then I slowly trickle into the powder-pan small amounts of powder between my thumb and forefinger (after making sure they're clean and dry) until the scale's indicator steadies-up on the "zero".

I definitely recommend the RCBS Model 1010 powder scale above all others. The pointer-arm is magnetically dampened and quickly settles down... and like 'most other RCBS reloading equipment, the scale literally has a "life-time" guarantee... and there is NONE better.

The Lyman#55 Powder Measure will consistently throw very uniform amounts of powder, but I still prefer to weigh EACH powder load. I've found that Lyman#55 is the most consistent if you "bump" the handle 4 or 5 times prior to dumping the powder into the 1010's powder pan. This "bumping" of the Lyman#55 handle seems to "compact" the powder very consistently... and tends to "throw" perfect loads, load-after-load.

Adjusting the Lyman#55 Powder Measure for other settings is also relatively easy since two of the three adjustments are screw-adjustments and, therefore, very consistent and accurate.

If you are working up loads, you can "bump" the Lyman #55's handle once ot twice more than "usual"... and you'll get an extra 1/10th or even 2/10ths of a grain of powder. This tends to eliminate having to reset the powder measure for slight increased or decreases ("bump" the handle one or two LESS times) the amount of powder you're "throwing".

As far as waiting to get the powder measure ("thrower"), why wait? It's handy and it definitely speeds up the reloading process right from the start. After working with it only a short time, you'll soon come to understand how much "adjustment" it takes to increase or decrease the amount of powder the Lyman#55 Powder Measure is "throwing". And you don't have to buy anything extra for different loads like some powder measures require. It comes with EVERYTHING you'll ever need to throw consistently accurate amounts of any kind of gun powder.

If you want to speed up the reloading, throw the powder DIRECTLY into the cartridge case, but as a precaution, WEIGH every 5th. powder charge just to insure nothing has changed. Then, too... charge ALL the cartridge cases, one after the other, then "eye-ball" EACH and EVERY case (with the cases sitting in a loading block) at least TWICE to insure all the cases have the SAME level of powder in all of them.

This eliminates any possibility of a gross over-charge or under-charge of powder.

I use and recommend a Forster Case Trimmer... something you definitely need right from the "get-go". The only thing you'll need in addition to the Forster Case Trimmer itself is the .30 caliber guide which is very inexpensive ($1.25-$1.50). The Forster Case Trimmer is not the cheapest trimmer on the market, but it's the BEST and you don't need to buy a lot of "extras" to do everything a cartridge case needs to be done to it in order to "accurize" it (if you really get serious and wanna load VERY accurate reloads).

You'll also need a "de-burring tool" which looks kinda like an all steel "rocket ship" to smooth off the inside and outside edges of the mouth of the case AFTER you use the Forster Case Trimmer to trim the case back to the desired length. The brass in cartridge cases tends to "flow" towards the neck/mouth of the case with repeated firings, especially with "hot" loads.

You did good buying the RCBS Resizing Die Set... I have tried several different brands of die sets and I honestly believe RCBS Die Sets are superior to most other brands.

If, in the future, you get into straight-walled cartridge cases (like most different pistol cartridges plus some rifle cartridges like the .45/70 and .444 Marlin), get the RCBS die-set that comes with the CARBIDE resizing die. It is somewwhat more expensive than the standard die-set, but if using the carbide resizing die, you do NOT need to be lubricate the cartridge cases before resizing and then, you don't need to wiped the resizing lub off the case after resizing. That saves a LOT of time and effort.

As far as I know, you can't use a carbide resizing die on a case (like most rifle cases) with a "shoulder & neck" and no lub... it doesn't work.

Get the water-based RCBS resizing lub plus their resizing lub pad... both are fairly inexpensive and you can clean the lub off the cases with a water-dampened towel... a very fast, easy way to handle the problem of removing the resizing lub from your cartridge cases.

The float-plane had to make 3 trips to get the moose back to base camp from the remote lake where our hunting camp was located.

Good luck on your new endeavor (reloading)... and have FUN !~!~! Handloading is a craft and hobby unto itself... and definitely adds enjoyment to one's life... especially when the bullet YOU loaded brings down a trophy game animal. I still have and cherish the perfectly "mushroomed" 210 grain Nosler Partition bullet (148.5 grains retained weight) out of my pre-'64 Model 70 in .338 Win. Magnum that brought down my large Canadian moose on a remote lake deep in the Canadian bush with a single ("bang/flop") shot. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ron_T
Get the water-based RCBS resizing lub plus their resizing lub pad... both are fairly inexpensive and you can clean the lub off the cases with a water-dampened towel... a very fast, easy way to handle the problem of removing the resizing lub from your cartridge cases.

Ron T.

Excellent advice Ron but I will differ on this point. After years of pads and water based I have gone to Imperial (now Redding )lube and been very pleased. Very efficient and just far more slippery than the water based.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/reddingbrandwax.html

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since you already got your measure, here's a neat trick for weighing a charge. Along the same line as Ron T.

Throw a full charge in an extra empty case(I use a 7-MAG) and throw your charge a little light. Then trickle in the final charge with the spare case loaded w/powder.

I weigh EVERY single charge I've ever reloaded with this method. But I don't get in too much of a hurry.<g>

Don't sweat the temp. in your basement, as long as the humidity is not bad.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ron T said EVERYTHING I would mention, I won't double, I'll just add confidence to his Forster Trimmer and Lyman 55 measure. I've used the Redding BR3 and RCBS measures, I own two Lymans. I just sold the Wilson trimmer set I had to buy to see if I liked it better than the Forster I already had. I sold the Wilson.
Selmer

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 62 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.