Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2670086 12/23/08
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm afraid I am not going to shoot a deer this season. The damned hogs keep running them off and eating all the corn. On Sunday, the corn bill came due for these two stinky boars.

[Linked Image]

The 25-06 is kicking hog butt this year. Head shots with the 100 gr. Ballistic Tips are awesome. Bang-Whack-Flop, every time.

In spite of the sunshine, it was cold as hell. It was 15 degrees when I rolled out to go to the blind and the high that day was 26 degrees.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can you eat those pigs or are they just too nasty to contemplate on the plate?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
depends on if their breeding. when their breeding their pretty rank but you can make saugage or tamales out of them

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, they are good eating. I prefer a sow or young pig for the table. We have plenty of them so I drag off the big stinking boars.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
They are so numerous it is tempting to shoot and leave the stinky things but lately I have been using a poacher's technique that does the job quickly and the meat's great.

Just cut up the backbone from the tail and using an extremely sharp knife peel the hide down to expose the loin (backstrap in a deer). You'll need to cut down from the front and back legs too. After removing the loins, cut loose the front and back legs leaving the hide on and work on them back at camp. The hind quarters are a bit more work--you'll need to cut carefully near the intestines and you need to find the ball joint and cut through it but the extremely sharp knife helps--I like the Diamond blade or the Outdoor Edge swing blade is a must have--you should be headed to camp in 10 minutes and you can finish the job with more light and a roaring fire--all you've left behind are the tenderloins.

IC B2

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Question for the pig shooters. I'm going to texas in march for hogs. I'm taking a 257 roberts, my gun shoots the factory 117gr interlock hornady load as good as anything. Do I need to take head or neck shots with this load, or will the 257 penetrate their armor near the vitals?

ben

Last edited by vegasblj; 12/24/08.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Your Roberts will work just fine. I have shot more than a few using a 243 with what ever 100 grain cup and core shot good..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by vegasblj
Question for the pig shooters. I'm going to texas in march for hogs. I'm taking a 257 roberts, my gun shoots the factory 117gr interlock hornady load as good as anything. Do I need to take head or neck shots with this load, or will the 257 penetrate their armor near the vitals?

ben

Head shot with a .257 and 110 AB. Would have no qualms about putting one in the shoulder.
[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Head shots are all we attempt....the shoulders are excellent for pulled pork sandwiches!! And you never have to look for your piggy when you stick one between eye and ear.

257 Roberts with 100gr Interlocks work well.

Nice pig, Pugs!!!

All American

All the time
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I love the factory Hornady 117 gr in the .257 Rbts, I have used it on many a deer without a problem. On pigs, either the head or the lungs would be just fine. The last few pigs I have shot with my .257 was with the 100 gr. Hornady SP in handloads, and I did use head shots, which put them down real quick. Not that I didn't trust them for lung shots, but it was getting real dark and I didn't want to mess with the tracking job that might result, even for 100 yards.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Do I need to take head or neck shots with this load, or will the 257 penetrate their armor near the vitals?

I can only remember one hog I didn't shoot in the head and that was shot with a 270 and 130 Hornaday. I don't know what your results might be with lung shots but if you put a bullet in the center of the head your hog won't go anywhere. My boy head shoots them with a .222 Rem and that works just fine.

[Linked Image]

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Yes, they are good eating. I prefer a sow or young pig for the table. We have plenty of them so I drag off the big stinking boars.

Thanks for the info. Fresh pork chops and BBq is always a good thing grin

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like hitting them in the neck or head near the ear, I hunt at night so I just like having them drop.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've killed quite a few with rifles from 243 to 300 Winnie - mostly 243 to 270 & a boat load with a 7-08. Anything from earholing them to smacking them in the shoulders works great.

A boy I was guiding slipped one just behind a 200 lb sow's shoulders at about 250 yards with an 85gr Sierra BTHP and it exited - it just hit ribs in and out, and she ran, but she left a blood trail blowing sign all the way to the fence posts on the road she ran down - a blind candy peddler could have tracked her.

Sizes are often overestimated on wild hogs - there aren't that many over 200 lbs, and while there are some twice that, they are few and far between.

Come to think of it, I've even shoulder shot some with a 223 - no exit, but they don't go far. I have a buddy who has probably killed 50+ this year alone with his AR 223 and 55g soft points.

Lots of options work - I like the 25-06, 7-08, 270 ball park for them just in case a monster shows up and I want to bust his shoulders.

DJ

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Head shots, of course, work very well. I like to shoot them just below and behind the ear. However, if the porker is more than about 75 yards or so away, I feel more comfortable shooting for the shoulder. The head doesn't offer much of a target and most pigs scoot around a lot as you're trying to shoot them.

Also, I wouldn't recommend shooting a pig behind the shoulder. Their vitals are farther forward than a deer's and shooting them there can result in a lost animal.

Best of luck!

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,771
Posts18,495,708
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.