Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Shouldn't they call animal control instead if the dog is not doing any immediate harm?

Are you kidding? Do you imagine that a town like Ferris is able to maintain a nice animal shelter that can keep feral dogs until they can be domesticated until ready for adoption? And a full-time animal control officer that can tranquilize the strays and safely transport them to that shelter?

This is another good example of people on the internet being quick to judge a situation that they really don't know much about.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Before the housing boom of the late '60s and '70s, the suburban counties of metro NYC were quite rural. Strays that had been individually dumped were forming packs and creating a helluva nuisance. These situations are no joke. When I worked at JFK airport, there were packs of strays and they were hard to catch because there is a large wetlands preserve adjacent to the port.

If you are worried about little Snuffy getting shot, keep him inside. The feral packs are probably more of a danger to your house dog than are the Sheriff's boys. People use the same argument to try to ban trapping; "But what if your kitty or puppy gets caught in one of the traps?". Keep him in your yard and it'll never be an issue.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
This has been a policy in most local law enforcement agencies until the humane society was firmly established in almost every county in the land. I shot a lot of feral dogs up in Wisconsin, particularly in winter when they were raiding trash cans just to survive. Feral dogs don't have it easy like "Lady and the Tramp!" There aren't any friendly Italian pasta chefs handing them spaghetti and meat-a-balls in the alley.

Yes, they are dogs, and their puppies are cute, and they learn to bite people, and they get worms, and mange and rabies and like to pass them on.

I'm sure the "public" notice is to let people know that the practice of letting Rover run the streets is about to come to a screeching halt.

Dan

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This still goes on shooting stray dogs. Even our animal control people are armed. Some they just can't catch, too mean, can't get close enough to catch.

A few years ago the Tn. Wildlife Dept. started buying AR's for their officers to shoot coyotes on sight, and feral dogs that were harassing wildlife.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like a good place to do some calling in.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of West Texas communities have bounties on dogs.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I would hate to think anyone shot MY dog. BUT, I would rather face a pack of coyotes or wolves (were there any around here) than Fifi and cousins. Domestic dogs ain't afraid of man. The neighbor has a 150 pound Alsatian, they run it in the dog park, but call it in and bring it home when it starts to "team" with any other dogs. This same dog will run from my Lab mix, and hound mix on a 1 to 1.

Coming home from hunting last year, there was a pack along the road outside Yampa CO. I am reaaly glad I wasn't afoot or on a bike (either kind).

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It's prolly a good bet to let the LEO's shoot them anymore, at least in CO. At a jobsite this summer, my brother and his general contractor witnessed a pair of dogs kill a (and eat) a fawn. About an hour later they returned and killed the twin. Bro went and got a rifle and kilt the dogs. Long story short, a guy building the pool called the fuzz. He's charged with aggravated animal cruelty, reckless endangerment and a host of other trumped-up charges. The case will drag out for a couple more months and he is already almost $10,000 into legal bills. Just to keep from a felony conviction, and it's not looking good. In my (Elbert county), last year a pair of ranchers were taken down the same path for defending their own livestock. One won, one lost....... No witnesses, are the only way to try this schitt here now. Don

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by McInnis
Shouldn't they call animal control instead if the dog is not doing any immediate harm?

Are you kidding? Do you imagine that a town like Ferris is able to maintain a nice animal shelter that can keep feral dogs until they can be domesticated until ready for adoption? And a full-time animal control officer that can tranquilize the strays and safely transport them to that shelter?

This is another good example of people on the internet being quick to judge a situation that they really don't know much about.

Funny, I thought I was just asking a question. Thanks for informing me that I was actually judging a situation. That said, most animal control facilities keep a dog for a week or two in case the owner's looking for their dog or someone wants to adopt them, and then, if no one does, they euthanize them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sighhhh

folks shouldn't move to the country if they don't understand the rules

most of my life a man trying to raise livestock of any sort has enough going against him to add feral dogs to the mix.

as has been stated even beloved Fido of the daylight hours will run with other neighborhood dogs at night to take a walk on the wild side.

I've penned up a heifer that I thought should have dropped a calf walked down to the lots after midnight to find her being harrassed by a pack of neighborhood dogs.

if "git" don't work, lead does

the whole point of animal husbandry is an animal is going to die for human benefit. Hopefully profit for the farmer and a meal for an urban dweller.

any animal that interferes with that processs is fair game, whether feral or just Fido trying to relive his ancestory.

unless folks are going to eat just corn flakes and tofu, it's how it has to be.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It pays to know your local laws and neighbors as well as the local dogs.

Here in Alaska we usually have more people killed by dogs than by bears.

In my community we have a new immigrant population that likes Akita dogs.....pretty things.....but rabies shots and dog food cost money....and no we don't have animal control nor a sheriff for that matter.....when they pack up in the spring, they get bold and twice last year they attacked me on my own place....those two are no longer a problem but other neighbors report similar experiences......

Hell of a way to have to treat dogs but these things are a serious threat and the little neighbor boys should be able to safely wait at the school bus stop.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Of course. Keep in mind that I only said that dogs that are doing no harm should, preferably, be handled by animal control rather than with a bullet. Your scenario is not of a dog doing no harm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Barking dogs are an annoying problem everywhere. Most towns don't have the guts or resources to enforce nuisance ordinances and the problem just goes on

Feral dogs are usually shot on sight by ranchers whether they are harassing stock or not. "Pet" dogs harassing wild game are usually shot, if the responding LEO sees the act. If they don't witness it but see evidence of it, they often turn it over to Game and Fish. G & F are pretty aggressive and will issue a summons or a fine on the spot. Your choice.

We just had two young muley bucks and three doe's come to the birdbath, which is still solid ice. We "used to" have neighbor's dogs chasing them but not so much any more.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hawkeye, the sentence you wrote after the one I quoted is what I found to be judgmental:

Perhaps they will shoot a domestic dog that somehow got loose if given the green light to shoot all loose dogs.

Are you really concerned that the local cops will go on a dog killing spree if he's given a green light to shoot feral dogs?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Of course. Keep in mind that I only said that dogs that are doing no harm should, preferably, be handled by animal control rather than with a bullet. Your scenario is not of a dog doing no harm.

A dog(s) harassing a heifer ready to drop is not doing harm? A person is only entitled to shoot a dog to defend themsleves or loved ones?

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
couldn't agree more.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
" A person can only shoot to defend themselves or loved ones"I can say the same thing for rattle snakes.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Hmm.. already legal in many states for LE or game and parks to shoot feral dogs. Or any dog chasing game animals. What's the news here?
Shouldn't they call animal control instead if the dog is not doing any immediate harm? Perhaps they will shoot a domestic dog that somehow got loose if given the green light to shoot all loose dogs.

That was my earlier point. Sometimes dogs get away and run for a few hours, before returning home. These would fall victim to a rush to rid a community of the feral dogs, which DO need removal, IMO.

I would say that there should be a directive to not shoot dogs with collars; this should differentiate between the two classes of wandering dogs. There would be exceptions, of course, and some very nice household dogs without collars might be shot, but it would minimize the incidences.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by McInnis
Hawkeye, the sentence you wrote after the one I quoted is what I found to be judgmental:

Perhaps they will shoot a domestic dog that somehow got loose if given the green light to shoot all loose dogs.

Are you really concerned that the local cops will go on a dog killing spree if he's given a green light to shoot feral dogs?
Thus the word perhaps. I'm simply joining a conversation. Not driving home a final judgment on the matter. Why don't you just admit that you went too far? It won't kill you.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mac84

A dog(s) harassing a heifer ready to drop is not doing harm?
What we have here is a failure to communicate. I would consider that very harmful indeed. Are you sure you're reading my posts?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We had a case here not to long ago where a pair of domestic dogs got into a goat pen and killed a bunch of pedigreed goats, just about wiped out the owners herd of breeding nannies. One of the dogs never made it off the property. Law enforcement showed up and removed the color of the dead dog and went to the owners residence a mile and a half away and the other dog had made it home and was inside it's kennel covered with blood from one end to the other. When the Deputy Sheriff asked the dogs owner how come the dog was covered in blood the owner said oh that it must have gotten into a fight with a bear.

At this point the officer asked where was their other dog and that they had been caught in a neighbor's sheep pen killing sheep to which the owner replied that that wasn't so as their dogs were well behaved animals and would never do such a thing. At this point the Deputy produced the dead dogs color and proceeded to tell the owner that the dogs were caught in the act and that the other dog wouldn't be coming home as he was dead in the neighbor's goat pen with all the dead goats and that they had come down to get the other dog and that they were going to put it down too.

So yes if you let your dog run loose it's a very good possibility that this scenario can be repeated time and time again. So I can't fault Law Enforcement for putting the animals down either here or in Ferris, TX. If you let them run loose be prepared to pay the price, but it's a shame that an animal has to be put down all because the owner won't take responsibility for their pet and let them run.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (222Sako, 338rcm, 1minute, 338reddog, 264magnum, 66 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,541
Posts18,491,511
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.