Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by W7ACT
We had a case here not to long ago where a pair of domestic dogs got into a goat pen and killed a bunch of pedigreed goats, just about wiped out the owners herd of breeding nannies. One of the dogs never made it off the property. Law enforcement showed up and removed the color of the dead dog and went to the owners residence a mile and a half away and the other dog had made it home and was inside it's kennel covered with blood from one end to the other. When the Deputy Sheriff asked the dogs owner how come the dog was covered in blood the owner said oh that it must have gotten into a fight with a bear.

At this point the officer asked where was their other dog and that they had been caught in a neighbor's sheep pen killing sheep to which the owner replied that that wasn't so as their dogs were well behaved animals and would never do such a thing. At this point the Deputy produced the dead dogs color and proceeded to tell the owner that the dogs were caught in the act and that the other dog wouldn't be coming home as he was dead in the neighbor's goat pen with all the dead goats and that they had come down to get the other dog and that they were going to put it down too.

So yes if you let your dog run loose it's a very good possibility that this scenario can be repeated time and time again. So I can't fault Law Enforcement for putting the animals down either here or in Ferris, TX. If you let them run loose be prepared to pay the price, but it's a shame that an animal has to be put down all because the owner won't take responsibility for their pet and let them run.
I find your story suspect. In the United States, property cannot ordinarily be seized without due process of law, and that means first you need a hearing before a judge (the property owner being present and his voice heard) at the minimum before a warrant for seizing property will be issued.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go ahead Hawkeye find the story suspect, but it's a true story as I have first hand knowledge of the event as I know the owner of the goats and the whole incident was reported in the local rag, I mean fish wrapper, err newspaper and it went down just like it was described.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thus the word perhaps. I'm simply joining a conversation. Not driving home a final judgment on the matter. Why don't you just admit that you went too far? It won't kill you.

OK, maybe I shouldn't have concluded you were being judgmental. It probably is hard for some people to understand life in small towns like the one we're discussing. Don't worry about it, no need for another forum melt-down over this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Something like this happens in a blue moon out here in the farms, and all the area dogs suffer from it. Often coyotes do the damage at night, then domestic dogs are drawn to the scent and get blamed. Not saying that's what happened in your example, but it is common.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by McInnis
Thus the word perhaps. I'm simply joining a conversation. Not driving home a final judgment on the matter. Why don't you just admit that you went too far? It won't kill you.

OK, maybe I shouldn't have concluded you were being judgmental. It probably is hard for some people to understand life in small towns like the one we're discussing. Don't worry about it, no need for another forum melt-down over this.
Good man.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
We had a case here not to long ago where a pair of domestic dogs got into a goat pen and killed a bunch of pedigreed goats, just about wiped out the owners herd of breeding nannies. One of the dogs never made it off the property. Law enforcement showed up and removed the color of the dead dog and went to the owners residence a mile and a half away and the other dog had made it home and was inside it's kennel covered with blood from one end to the other. When the Deputy Sheriff asked the dogs owner how come the dog was covered in blood the owner said oh that it must have gotten into a fight with a bear.

At this point the officer asked where was their other dog and that they had been caught in a neighbor's sheep pen killing sheep to which the owner replied that that wasn't so as their dogs were well behaved animals and would never do such a thing. At this point the Deputy produced the dead dogs color and proceeded to tell the owner that the dogs were caught in the act and that the other dog wouldn't be coming home as he was dead in the neighbor's goat pen with all the dead goats and that they had come down to get the other dog and that they were going to put it down too.

So yes if you let your dog run loose it's a very good possibility that this scenario can be repeated time and time again. So I can't fault Law Enforcement for putting the animals down either here or in Ferris, TX. If you let them run loose be prepared to pay the price, but it's a shame that an animal has to be put down all because the owner won't take responsibility for their pet and let them run.
I find your story suspect. In the United States, property cannot ordinarily be seized without due process of law, and that means first you need a hearing before a judge (the property owner being present and his voice heard) at the minimum before a warrant for seizing property will be issued.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
W7ACT, What you stated is true as to how things occur with livestock killing dogs. This was probably not the first time that the owners dogs have killed livestock or wildlife. The owner probably knew he had rogue dogs, they just got caught this time and matters were dealt with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Luv2safari

All I know is it happened this summer the owner of the goats heard a commotion in the goat pens went out to investigate and did catch the dogs in the act and did manage to kill one and the other one got away and the next day I was out to the farm and saw some of the survivors of the attack that were chewed up by the dogs and it wasn't a pretty sight. The owner of the goats lost about three quarters of her herd which ammounted to about twenty or thirty thousand dollars.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I only doubted the warrantless property seizure by a police officer. I believe the rest. The matter hadn't even been to court, according to your story. What if I said to a cop that I saw your dog kill my pony, and could prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. I even show the cop the proof positive. Do you really think our laws allow a cop to make a final judgment like that, enter your land, and seize private property? That's what the courts are for.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hawkeye

I understand, but the dogs were caught in the act and the owner of the goats put one of the dogs down in the goat pen. Law Enforcement came out investigated went to the dog owners and found the second dog in it's pen covered in blood. The officer had positive Identification from the dead dog, which gives him proabable cause, so when he saw the second animal covered with blood he would be remiss in not impounding the second dog.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Y'all should know by now that I am a cat lover as well as dogs, but ferals of any kind get the SSS at my daughters place. They make great pets if kept in a home, on the prowl they do tremendous damage to wild game and stock. I wish I could do something to the irresponsible owners that make me have to take care of THEIR problem, BASTAGES!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hawkeye

I understand, but the dogs were caught in the act and the owner of the goats put one of the dogs down in the goat pen. Law Enforcement came out investigated went to the dog owners and found the second dog in it's pen covered in blood. The officer had positive Identification from the dead dog, which gives him proabable cause, so when he saw the second animal covered with blood he would be remiss in not impounding the second dog.

First off, you didn't say "impounding," but even that requires a property seizure warrant. Secondly, you said the cop was going to take the dog and dispose of him. Quite a different thing from mere impounding to await a court hearing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Considering what certain exotic breeds of livestock will bring on the hoof (ex: 1 breeding age racing pigeon can bring $thousands), and that agricultural states have de facto or de jura traditions of awarding livestock owners 3X damages, the rancher is quite possibly doing you a favor by shooting your dog before he kills anything.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Hawkeye

First off, you didn't say "impounding," but even that requires a property seizure warrant. Secondly, you said the cop was going to take the dog and dispose of him. Quite a different thing from mere impounding to await a court hearing.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Do you truly believe that in the country/rural environment regarding livestock/wildlife killing dogs. That all the procedures of due process occur?

In this state the owner of the dog could be arrested on criminal charges (dogs at large) and then later the owner of the goats could take the dog owner to civil court. The owner can be charged with a Class A Misd. and serve up to 11/29 per dog, for the charge. This under the provision of TCA 44-8-408 amended in 2007.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I studied criminal justice in college for 2 years and a professor of mine was a retired California fish and game warden. One night he and his partner were heading up a dirt road when they rounded a corner and there in the road sat a feral cat. Following their own policy or that of the game dept. at the time Ron pulled his revolver out and shot this wild vermin. Unfortunately his shot didn't kill the kitty instantly but eviscerated it. The cat ran around the corner and right up to the cats house/porch just as the homeowner came running out with his side by side ready to shoot the SOB that shot his cat. The 2 game wardens got enough of a jump start that the homeowner couldn't catch up to the game wardens vehicle before they stashed it in a brushy creek bottom and covered it with brush.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
People in many places wonder why they have such a drop in wild quail covey's, besides the loss of habitat, it's feral cats.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is just a part of the Wyoming Statutes covering dogs. There are more, covering big game animals and dogs at large.

Stray cats are classified as predators and treated as such.

11-31-105.� Killing sheep or other domestic animals; liability of owner.

The owner of any dog is liable for all damages that accrue to any person, firm or corporation by reason of the dog killing, wounding, worrying or chasing any sheep or other domestic animals belonging to the person, firm or corporation. If two (2) or more dogs owned by different persons kill, wound, chase or worry any sheep or other domestic animals, the persons are jointly and severally liable for all damage done by the dogs. Any person who harbors about his premises a dog for twenty (20) days shall be taken and held as the owner and is liable for all damages that the dog commits.

11-31-106.� Killing sheep or other domestic animals; destruction.

Every person, firm, copartnership, corporation or company owning any dog, which to his knowledge has killed sheep or other livestock, shall exterminate and destroy the dog.

11-31-107.� Running livestock; when killing authorized; liability to owner; exception.

Dogs running livestock against the wish of the owner of the livestock may be killed at once in cases where the livestock has been injured or is threatened with injury. The person killing any dog running livestock is not liable to the owner where the vicious character of the dog or the damage or danger of damage is shown. When livestock is trespassing upon property the property owner may use dogs to drive and keep off livestock from the property.

11-31-108.� Running livestock; penalty for permitting.

Any person who permits or directs any dog owned by him or in his possession or in the possession of his employee to chase or run any cattle or other livestock of which he is not the owner and of which he is not in control, farther than one hundred (100) yards from his land, upon government lands, or away from any watering place upon the open range, shall be fined not less than fifty dollars ($50.00) or more than seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00), or imprisoned not more than six (6) months, or both.

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Domestic dogs that roam are just as destructive or more so than coyotes. A friend of mine had Angora Goats and sheep just 30 miles or so from Ferris Texas. He had a so so net wire fence around 120 acres but kept snares and M-44 dispensers or more top the point, cyanide traps. One year he killed over 120 coyotes plus several domestic dogs. One evening I was down there dove hunting and we found 3 dogs in the farrowing pen they had killed 9 baby goats and were working on the others. One of the dogs was the local bankers Dalmatian along with one of his neighbors Sheppard and Border collie. We quickly dispatched these dogs and my buddy hung them on the fence. There was all sort of stink with the Sheriff�s department called and the Attorney General contacted. The end result was he was completely justified in killing these dogs. Don�t think just because a dog is domesticated that he won�t kill lots of animals. I told my friend that he ignored 2 of the S�s, but he wanted to make a point.

Joel

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Here in Texas if a dog or cat is harassing livestock, and this can mean a cat that is eying your pigeons or chickens is fair game and can be killed on site.
We have to remember that they are dogs, not short furry people.

Joel

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

That is not completely true in the case of destructive dogs. Many years ago in a much hungrier time I worked animal control and I impounded and destroyed many dogs without the Judge ever being consulted. If the dog is dangerous for any reason it must be impounded. If the owner can�t keep it in then the dog must be put down.

I want to repeat; these are not short furry people.

Joel

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Waterguy
We have to remember that they are dogs, not short furry people.

What is with all the animosity towards short furry people? smile

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,436
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.