Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it ain't irresponsible if you can do it reliably

most can't, some can

I like my odds of a guy that never shoots offseason not being likely to take my money on a bet for a similar scenario.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ask the guy if he could duplicate the shot...same range (measure it for him this time)...same hit to the leg. If he says no, he should realize that he shouldn't have shot.
Ask him if he intentionally shot it in the leg. If he did, ask him why. Would he do that again...on purpose? Does he think that's a good shot?
Ask him how much farther away the deer could have been, and he could have still hit in the guts.
There's lots of ways to make the guy realize he's a jerk w/o losing your inheritance.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
it ain't irresponsible if you can do it reliably

most can't, some can

I like my odds of a guy that never shoots offseason not being likely to take my money on a bet for a similar scenario.

The question still stands and I assume he would argue if it was a perfect hit, regardless if you say it ain't irresponsible if you can do it reliably.

This is what he typed

I mentioned that he should not even taken the shot & it was irresponsible. A 30-30 is good out to 100 yds. max with open sights.

So even if it were a perfect shot and deer DRT it was still irresponsible.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sounds like a good opening for getting him a RF for his birthday. (not that he needs to be better at estimating distance of course)

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Poor guy had to track his deer for six hours.. Let him claim a 250yd shot if that makes him feel better!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just a question what is the effective rang of 30/30 rifle vs a 30/30 Carbine. reason I'm asking I have an 30/30 Rifle which has a 26" Barrel. Although I've never tried it I'm sure it would accurate out further than a carbine simply because of the longer barrel. I don't believe I've ever seen a post '64 30/30 that wasn't a carbine unless it was a commemorative gun and even then they would be extremely rare, very limited run guns..

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The first time I went rifle hunting here in MN (I muzzle-loaded for 10 years before I started rifle hunting 5 years ago on private land up by Whitefish Lake in zone 242)I shot a nice doe from my stand. I was down dressing it when another guy came over and started talking about how it was a really "long" shot. He was guessing 150-200 yards.

I handed him my Leica rangefinder and told him to aim at my stand and push the button. It was seventy-something yards.

That made me realize that a lot of people don't have a freaking clue how to estimate distance with their scopes. With irons on a 30-30, well, at 250 yards, unless you have some nice aftermarket sights, how do you even aim??? I mean, I shoot highpower with irons at 600 yards, but my 336's sights would cover the deer completely at that 250 yards.

Edit: As for the original post issue, I would not get into it at all with my in-laws. Period. I've found that it just isn't worth it, and sometimes being "right" is more of a headache than just nodding and mumbling something while fetching everyone another beer......

Last edited by goalie; 12/27/08.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
he either is lucky, stupid, or can't tell distances.

my guess is he shot it at 150 yards, thinks it was 300, and was lucky to connect in the first place.

-Matt

Ditto.......That's how it usually works...

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Somebody that shoots at a deer at the stated range with a 30-30 is sheer stupidity.

I have shot a lot of deer with a .32 Winchester special, but never more than a hundred and that was a rare occasion with a good rest and open field! If I can't get to 50 yards or less I will usually pass.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

H
H
You guys do realize you are talking about an estimated 70 year old who is still out hunting and getting it done. Maybe we should set an age limit on all of you marksmen. I say good for him.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good for him that he's still hunting at his age. Not good for him for shooting a deer in the leg and bragging about how far of a shot it was. Not good for him that the deer had to go for 6 hours shot in the leg.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Least he had an extra 6 hours to say goodbye to his loved ones.

H
H
I'm sorry, I didn't realize he was bragging about it, or that he was happy that it lived for 6 hours shot in the leg. Tell him he's an ass for me. Read your signature my intelligent friend.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well there are things that I will do and then there are things that I will not do. One of the things I will not do is get into any kind of agruments with a fool, because in short order you both end up looking like fools. And I am smart enough not to go at it with My Father In LAW, ( I don't have one, not married) on Christmas week. Just nod your head and say good show and go pour yourself a good one, and wait till every body is gone to puke. That being said, Happy New year guys. Life is to short not to enjoy time with Family, you notice it more when you don't have one.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Least he had an extra 6 hours to say goodbye to his loved ones.

"the Power of Positive thinking" always pays dividends. (grin)

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Pete E
Best course of action is to asking him to teach you..

Set up a few targets at around 200 yards and let him demonstrate so "you can become a good shot like him"...

Probably best for family relations if the wife isn't around to witness his bad day! grin

BRILLIANT!

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants - it is the creed of slaves" William Pitt
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
First of all I think I need to make a confession: I have taken a deer at 240 laser measured yards wit a TC Contender with a 14" barrel and a 10X Burris scope and a 40 gr. home swedged bullet. It was a clean one shot kill. I removed the large vertebra in front of the shoulder and it dropped like a rock. In my defense I can say I had spent two days shooting sage rats off the rock the deer was standing next to. I knew I could make the shot and I will never try a stupid stunt like that again. Never, ever!

Growing up we or at least most of us learn it is more important to learn when not to shoot than it is when to shoot. However not all of us learn. If your FIL is 70 and still hunting then more power to him. It might behoove you or some other responsible person to hunt beside him for the rest of his hunting life.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one is exceptionally skilled and and knows the capacities and intracacies of his 30-30. A 300 yard shot would not be unreasonable. We regularly see professionals on TV popping ballons and cabbages with handguns at 200 yards. I personally don't have those skills but there are folks out there that do. Without knowing your father in law's abilities, I can't condemn him for taking such a shot.

In a similar vein. I'm sure that somewhere this year, a person with a hyped up Whizzum magnum and a super duper scope probably wounded a deer at 30 yards and had it escape.

Arguing politics, religion, and firearms abilities with folks yields little gain.

1Minute
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Not pointing a finger at any one poster, but this whole thing has become silly.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nothing succeeds like excess....

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 160user, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 3,086 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,660
Posts18,534,007
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.