-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the test was only based on one or two samples of each scope,the test is hardly scientific.If however he installed several scopes of each make and model on the same gun,and used the same load until each scope failed,that would be useful information.
When you cite the 15 year old DEVA impact testing you fail to note that the only brand of scope that failed their testing was Leupold. Of course those "tests" were flawed as well

Any test that doesn't produce the results that favors E's opinion are obviously flawed.Any test whose results favor his opinion are obviously credible.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It's called anecdotal evidence ERRORcus; look it up.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You mean the DEVA testing ERRORcus so proudly crows about when he gets the chance only failed one scope brand, the loopie?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The worst offending scope was a Redfield which is no longer made, so I left that out. Out of the remaining 6, all held their zero, with the exception of a Leupold 3.5-10x40. Lost it's verticle and horizontal adjustment. Even a very inexpensive Tasco passed without shifting zero.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RDFinn
The worst offending scope was a Redfield which is no longer made, so I left that out. Out of the remaining 6, all held their zero, with the exception of a Leupold 3.5-10x40. Lost it's verticle and horizontal adjustment. Even a very inexpensive Tasco passed without shifting zero.

My my, do tell!

A Trashco?

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What I don't understand , is why are people so polarized for or against Leupold ? My family and I have used Leupold scopes for 40+ years. If they were not any good I would say so. We must have over a dozen of them (I lost count). They have been trouble free. What more can I say? We have used other brands that have worked fine but none have been better than Leupold. Our best guns wear Leupolds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned over a dozen Leupold scopes myself without a single failure.However,the competitors are now producing scopes as good as Leupold,for less money.And it is my opinion that some manufacturers are now producing even better scopes than Leupold.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
stubblejumper , you could be right. I am takeing a hard look at Sightron II Big Sky. It is hard to switch brand loyalty after 40+ years of trouble free service. If it is not broke don't fix it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is hard to switch brand loyalty after 40+ years of trouble free service.

I don't feel that I owe loyalty to any company,they have already made money from me,and if they want to make more money from me,they need to earn it by offering the best product,or the best product for the price.

If it is not broke don't fix it.

If everyone felt that way,we would still be hunting with pointed sticks,or by driving game over cliffs.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by STARJCB
What I don't understand , is why are people so polarized for or against Leupold ? My family and I have used Leupold scopes for 40+ years. If they were not any good I would say so. We must have over a dozen of them (I lost count). They have been trouble free. What more can I say? We have used other brands that have worked fine but none have been better than Leupold. Our best guns wear Leupolds.

My first scope was a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9X40. I've probably owned, and used over a dozen Leupolds since then. They are about even with the other type scopes I have used in numbers if you leave out red-dot type sights. The largest percentage of scope I have owned and used is overwhelmingly Leupold.

I have nothing against Leupold scopes, they are what they are; a good 3rd tier scope.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Magnumdood , I do not know what tier scope Zeiss or Swvarski would fall in but I have sighted in rifles with those brands of scopes and did not see that much differance from my Leupolds. The 4X Zeiss left a lasting impression because it was so clear and sharp but the little differance in optical quality over my Leupold , verse its price left me cold.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do not know what tier scope Zeiss or Swvarski would fall in but I have sighted in rifles with those brands of scopes and did not see that much differance from my Leupolds. The 4X Zeiss left a lasting impression because it was so clear and sharp but the little differance in optical quality over my Leupold , verse its price left me cold.

Were the sight ins done in broad daylight,or at dust or dawn?The differences between scopes are much more noticeable in low light conditions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by STARJCB
What I don't understand , is why are people so polarized for or against Leupold ?

It isn't the scopes that cause the polarization. It's the blowing smoke up peoples' backsides on their behalf by certain individuals that does.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Terry: Nice work! grin

Thanks Bob!

For some reason they wouldn't hire me at the dynomite factory grin

Merry Christmas!
Terry

Terry: The "oops" factor is there for us all....a buddy was glassing at the rim of a canyon in Colorado,and forgot he did not have the strap attached to his binos around his neck....you know the rest grin

A Belated Merry Christmas to you,too!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have nothing for or against Leupold scopes. I still own 3 that work good enough for their applications. I do however have a dislike for persistent lies and cherry picked information.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
RD, that BS and you either know that or should.
The tests you cite are highly biased. The US/asian rim scopes were impacted 10 times, the euro brands only 5 in that test. Since the effect is cumulative, i.e. most of the reticle shifting would occur with the last of the impacts, not evenly distributed as the scope is hit. On top of that, the extra impacts were done to the ocular which is particularly sensitive.
Second, the results you cite are for the large scopes only. When it comes to the smaller scopes, inspite of the fact that the scope was hit twice as much, the small Leupold held up as well as the 1.5-4X20 Swarovski. It's reticle shifted only .5 cm's vertical and none horizontally.
I believe that this odvious bias was done because the testers knew that the euro brands would not do well. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Again, you are cherry picking and avoiding the truth. You continue to cite only the tests that favor your opinions. Look at the "test" that was conducted on the mid-range variables. The Leupold tested and the Tasco tested were impacted the same way as you already know. The Leupold failed miserably (lost 4.5 inches of zero) and the cheap Tasco passed (lost nothing) with flying colors. If you want to ignore printed fact, don't bother responding.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
What you say is true as far as it goes. However, if you want champion Tascos as being tougher, more reliable than Leupolds, I wish you luck.
Second, you quoted, again, an inaccurate figure. The loss was 2.4 cm's vertical and .8 horizontal, not the 4.5 inches you reported. 2.5 cm's equals one inch.
You also failed to mention that the small Tasco moved 2.0 and 2.5 cm's while the small Leupold moved 0.0 and 0.5 cm's in the same test.
Anyone who wants to read about these older tests needs to read pages 35-51 in John Barsness's great book, "Optics for the Hunter." Very good read, much of which still applies today. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What you say is true as far as it goes.

Now you want to dispute what you admit to be true.

However, if you want champion Tascos as being tougher, more reliable than Leupolds, I wish you luck.

You are the one that keeps using the DEVA tests as references to back up your opinions.Either they are to believed,or ignored,if they are to be believed,you must accept that the Tasco did better than the Leupold.

Anyone who wants to read about these older tests needs to read pages 35-51 in John Barsness's great book, "Optics for the Hunter." Very good read, much of which still applies today. E

And much of which is outdated and no longer applies today.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
What you say is true as far as it goes. Yes, thank you. However, if you want champion Tascos as being tougher, more reliable than Leupolds, I wish you luck. No, I wouldn't but in this cherry picked report by me it illistrates how single sources are not God inspired without expiration.
Second, you quoted, again, an inaccurate figure. The loss was 2.4 cm's vertical and .8 horizontal, not the 4.5 inches you reported. 2.5 cm's equals one inch. I stand corrected so it was off by roughly an 1 and a half inches. The Tasco moved 0 cm's.
You also failed to mention that the small Tasco moved 2.0 and 2.5 cm's while the small Leupold moved 0.0 and 0.5 cm's in the same test. No I didn't fail to mention it as I was referring to the mid-variable scopes tested.

So, what we should do to make you happy is accept DEVA light transmission test results that are 15 years old, only accept the low power variable scope impact test results that are slightly suspect of your desired results, accept Mr. Atkinson's impact test results as gospel know nothing about the results or how he arrived at them and we now need to disregard the DEVA test results that were conducted with mid range powered scopes because they are bias. Yes, that sounds like a good plan going forward. Perhaps we can come up with a blended test result acronym for the DEVA/Atkinson light transmission/impact testing that would be acceptable. Lets try, DLAI test (Deva light and Atkinson impact test). Or, maybe not. This is just a another example of why most folks here distrust the information you post here. Two parts DEVA + one part Atkinson doesn't add up to one for all.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,503 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,002
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.