Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by hunter1960
I've also seen them shot on site if they're committing the act. I have seen dogs that were released back to the owner commit the same act again.

One of the provisions is if the dog does the same thing again, it will be seized based upon probable cause and destroyed. This is an agreement that the owner has to agree with to get the dog back, if the dog is released back to the owner. So don't try your big bad, your so smart. Your still a sh1thead.

As far as i am concerned the darn things need to be shot and destroyed on site. If Farmer Brown states that a certain dog killed his animals and probable cause can support that. That should be the end of that dog. Once a dog starts to kill, it can't be stopped. That's all i care to discuss about this situation. Goodnight
You think that if you keep changing the scenario, somehow the argument will turn around to your side of things, don't you? Well, that's the cowards way out, you skunk. Try, for once, to stand your ground like a man and defend your position that no due process is required when property is seized from a home for destruction. Either that or be a man and admit your mistake. You will do neither, I guarantee it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Let me tell you this once and for all. I work in a county with five cities, they all have Police Dept's a City Court and Animal Control Officers. They do as they do, at times regarding seizure and destruction of animals. They all deal with them in a different manner.

You need to understand that manytimes there's a difference, of how the law is supposed to work and how it actually works. Not everything is book perfect, as it is in your world.

Manytimes the due process of a matter doesn't take place regarding animals, especially animals that are destructive. They aren't human beings and many places feel that way about them. You go curl up with your Pitbull and have a goodnight.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They aren't human beings

Wild dogs are people too! In little fur coats.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Simply pointing out that this thing went sideways a few posts after but you already knew that right?

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by watch4bear
They aren't human beings

Wild dogs are people too! In little fur coats.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Let me really piss some people off. I don't know if we have any Church of Christ members here? The C of C doesn't believe that animals have a soul, so they don't go to heaven or wherever.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Light'em up I say. We're doing the same thing

I'm so sick to death of dealing with loose/wild dogs and irresponsible owners.

The dogs need to be shot and the owners taken out for batting practice.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Manytimes the due process of a matter doesn't take place regarding animals, especially animals that are destructive. They aren't human beings and many places feel that way about them.
Hey, dimwit, dogs are property. That's the issue here. Property. The humans are the property-owners. Those property-owners have certain rights with regard to their property, such as it cannot be seized from their possession without due process of law being followed. A cop cannot, on his own authority, take property and destroy it. Not in Florida, and not in your state. It's called the Fifth Amendment. Learn it. Love it. Live it. Be a man and admit you were talking out of your ass.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Due process can be side stepped. Remember the 3 S's. What you don't know you can't act on. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Manytimes the due process of a matter doesn't take place regarding animals, especially animals that are destructive. They aren't human beings and many places feel that way about them.
Hey, dimwit, dogs are property. That's the issue here. Property. The humans are the property-owners. Those property-owners have certain rights with regard to their property, such as it cannot be seized from their possession without due process of law being followed. A cop cannot, on his own authority, take property and destroy it. Not in Florida, and not in your state. It's called the Fifth Amendment. Learn it. Love it. Live it. Be a man and admit you were talking out of your ass.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The Fourth Amendment deals with search/seizure of property. Like i've told you things happen all the time, that might not be within your perfect little world of school house law, but they still happen. Do you seriously believe that everything is done within the confines of the Constitution?

You can harp about it all you want, i've seen dogs that run at large and kill animals, both livestock and other small animals, picked up by animal control and put down. They're enforcing both state law and county ordinance. People in my county know if their dogs are not controlled and are running stock or wildlife, they'll get picked up and put down.

You can piss and whine how it's not the law etc. The owner can be charged criminally, the majority give up their dog versus doing jail time or being fined. Why don't you admit that you have no experience outside of the school house and the world isn't tied to due process for animals at every turn.

I know to you it's just a terrible sin to kill a dog. But when a persons livestock or the public's wildlife are being killed, to heck with the dog.. To many people who's paycheck depends on livestock and wildlife areas, dog's running at large have got to go.

We had a retired elderly female educator in this county a few years ago who was killed by dogs. She was walking along the shoulder of a county road, the poor woman was pulled down into the ditch and killed by some maurading dogs.

The dogs were identified as belonging to folks in the neighborhood, by witnesses who tried to stop the killing. The dogs were rounded up and destroyed. That's why this county has a zero tolerence for stray or loose running dogs.

It's interesting that people are saying in many cases screw the dogs shoot the killing things, but you don't say a word to them. How come Hawkeye, does it give you a woody to talk trash to a cop on the internet, of which you wouldn't say to one out on the street?

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Ok, I will add a little more topic for thought. When I first went to work in this little bitty City of about 850 population, there was a big dog problem and they just didn�t have anyone to take care of it for years. They didn�t have a place to keep them and they certainly didn�t have equipment to catch them and there was no equipment (read syringe and drugs) to put them down. The Texas Department of Health (who has oversight on animal control in Texas), explained that there was no way this City could pick up animals without approved and inspected facilities, furthermore since the City had no one trained and licensed to pick up these dogs we could not even begin, unless there was a state of emergency declared by the Mayor and approved by the Council (they even gave me the draft ordinance to have approved). Then we could do many things not normally allowed by rules, regulations and law. This allowed us to not keep dogs for 72 hours, now we could keep them 24 hours and then �gone. If the dog was sick or injured then it could be dispatched immediately. If the dog did not have a tag showing current rabies vaccination it could be put down immediately. We were in a small town and everyone knew everyone, so if the dog had a collar I would try to find the owner, even without the tag.

I was charged by the Mayor and Council to do the best I could until equipment and training could be obtained. The equipment and facility was going to cost money and this City had none of that, training was cheap. I think it cost $50.00 or so and several days of my time, and boom I is an animal control officer. A plan was made and carried out to hunt these dogs using meat scraps for bait. The Wastewater Treatment Plant was pretty secluded from town so that is where the bait station was set up. Someone had to be at the plant before the crack of dawn to dispatch dogs that came to the bait. Several raccoons, skunks, possum, coyotes and a lot of wild hogs were also dispatched. The hogs were given to poor families around town, except for a few that we took to the local garage and the proprietor put on a smoker. I just love the little 20 to 50 lb pigs cooked whole. Ruger 10/22 does a wonderful job on hogs, dogs, cats and a large assortment of other ner-do-wells that frequented the bait pile.

The whole point of this exercise is that we practiced the 3 S�s. I had too many dogs running amuck and The Mayor and I shut-up about what was happening (well there was the grocery store owner that supplied the meat scraps) and I just happened to have a 10/22 and a backhoe to complete the shoot shovel and shut-up threesome.

That was a crude resolution to a serious problem, but we didn�t put it in the papers like the Ferris Chief of Police did.

Then there was the month or so that the Police Chief and I drove through town late at night shooting skunks with a shotgun using #6 shot. The hunting was good we got 18 in about 2 hours the first night but that�s another story.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Waterguy
That was a crude resolution to a serious problem, but we didn�t put it in the papers like the Ferris Chief of Police did.
It's possible the CoP was attempting to get people to keep their dogs (at least those who care about their dogs) inside. I wouldn't have gone that way, but he might have had reason to believe that would reduce the problem without any action by his officers. I dunno.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
The Fourth Amendment deals with search/seizure of property.

Not that I want to involve myself in this pizzing contest, but I think that TRH was speaking of the due process part of the argument, not the search and seizure aspect. Now I'll just continue to sit back and laugh at this entire fiasco.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Ok, Hunter. I guess I expected more of you than you're capable of. Some people cannot follow along well enough to carry on an intelligent conversation, so I will try to spell this out for you. I have never disagreed with the notion that some dogs do bad things and need putting down. I have never disagreed with the notion that self defense or defense of property against dogs doing bad things is within the law. I have never disagreed with the notion that loose dogs can be legally picked up and destroyed, or even in some cases destroyed on the spot. We are talking about one very specific scenario: i.e., of a cop showing up to one's door step having witnessed what he believes proof positive that a dog in that house has been a menace to others or other's property, and then announcing that he's taking the dog for destruction.

Replace dog with Billy goat, if you have some sort of psychological issue when it comes to dogs, or if that helps you understand it better. Replace it with ATV. Doesn't matter. In the law, they are all property. To seize them (meaning against the will of the owner) from the owner's home, in the context we're discussing, for destruction, requires that courts of law be involved, which means a hearing before a judge and/or a warrant, i.e., due process. Doesn't matter if you live in the swamps of the Louisiana Bayou, so long as it's within the borders of the United States.

Be a man and admit you were wrong on your assertion to the contrary and your suffering can end just as quickly as it began.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How bout we all go find another thread to play on? wink

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ok, Hunter. I guess I expected more of you than you're capable of. Some people cannot follow along well enough to carry on an intelligent conversation, so I will try to spell this out for you. I have never disagreed with the notion that some dogs do bad things and need putting down. I have never disagreed with the notion that self defense or defense of property against dogs doing bad things is within the law. I have never disagreed with the notion that loose dogs can be legally picked up and destroyed, or even in some cases destroyed on the spot. We are talking about one very specific scenario: i.e., of a cop showing up to one's door step having witnessed what he believes proof positive that a dog in that house has been a menace to others or other's property, and then announcing that he's taking the dog for destruction.

Replace dog with Billy goat, if you have some sort of psychological issue when it comes to dogs, or if that helps you understand it better. Replace it with ATV. Doesn't matter. In the law, they are all property. To seize them (meaning against the will of the owner) from the owner's home, in the context we're discussing, for destruction, requires that courts of law be involved, which means a hearing before a judge and/or a warrant, i.e., due process. Doesn't matter if you live in the swamps of the Louisiana Bayou, so long as it's within the borders of the United States.

Be a man and admit you were wrong on your assertion to the contrary and your suffering can end just as quickly as it began.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Why can't you admit that the world isn't perfect? Things occur that are outside of your perfect little school house law theory. I am not going to admit schit. I've personnaly seen animal control officers pick up animals who have been identified as destructive and they've been destroyed. I don't care what you say, this isn't a perfect world and you don't live everywhere. You've got too much school house law experience and no experience in the real world as to how things occur at times.

I have nothing more to state about this silly thread to you. Other then the fact that you believe that the world is perfect and that Constitutional law is always followed. That is not the truth. I wish you could learn to accept the fact that it isn't a perfect world and things happen, that don't meet your legal standards. Other people have already hinted to that fact.

Regarding other property seizures, we don't destroy an ATV because it killed someones goats. I've seen ATV's seized without a warrant based upon the word of the owner that it was stolen and it was his. This was verified by bill of sale or other means of ID (SN) at the location of the ATV on another persons property. No seizure warrant, the ATV went back to the owner and the suspect went to jail.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sounds good. I've read enough to know that no matter how wrong I might be, I'd never admit to a pompous ass as the one above. If it were me, I'd just tell TRH to go [bleep] himself and his attitude. Nothing he's got to say means anything when he comes across as the neighborhood spoiled mama's boy, with a big mouth. I believe the ingore function will get a tryout today.
And no, TRH, I'm not shirking an argument; you've just been told and that's the end of it.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't realize my origiional post would get this Dog & Pony Show going. Sorry guys.....

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A friend of mine's family raised turkeys. A group of dogs had formed a social club that met at night for the purpose of having a bit of entertainment that involved the turkeys. An ambush was laid and had a very successful conclusion. It turned out that the revelers all came from good homes in the immediate area. Next of kin were notified in all instances where they could be determined, not to seek compensation for damages the dogs had caused or even to complain about the events, but rather to let the people know what had become of their dogs and why. Result was a picture in the local paper of a youngster with the family pet that had been "murdered". It does baffle me why so many dog owners feel that others should be grateful that they are willing to share their dog with them. (I do like dogs, if they are well-behaved and controlled.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Sounds good. I've read enough to know that no matter how wrong I might be, I'd never admit to a pompous ass as the one above. If it were me, I'd just tell TRH to go [bleep] himself and his attitude. Nothing he's got to say means anything when he comes across as the neighborhood spoiled mama's boy, with a big mouth. I believe the ingore function will get a tryout today.
And no, TRH, I'm not shirking an argument; you've just been told and that's the end of it.
Sorry, but you may not know this fellow very well. I will not allow him to state lies such as the US Bill of Rights doesn't apply to police in rural America and get away with it. If you have a problem with that, then I guess you can stop reading my posts.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
began.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Other then the fact that you believe that the world is perfect and that Constitutional law is always followed. That is not the truth. I wish you could learn to accept the fact that it isn't a perfect world and things happen, that don't meet your legal standards. Other people have already hinted to that fact.
[/quote]

Guess this says it all for both sides.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Hmm.. already legal in many states for LE or game and parks to shoot feral dogs. Or any dog chasing game animals. What's the news here?

Hell, it's legal for NON-LEOs to do the same, what's the deal?

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.