Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
cmfic1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
As the subject line says.

I know there are many that may have them in DG chamberings, but are they a serious contender in the eyes of PH's and/or multi Safari hunters?

I know they are "ruff around the edges" and require some work, but would a guy be better off paying more up front for a GMA, Empire or Dakota action?

I'm a LH shooter, I currently have a SS LH MRC that I was/am going to make into a .404 Jeff. The only hic-up is that by the time I send it off to a competent 'smith to be put together, worked over, stocked etc. etc. it will be pricey, not Stuart Satterlee pricey, but a fair chunk just the same.

Whatdya folks think?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once smoothed out a bit, I would say about as good as any. The few I have seen seemed to be spot on. I have not seen one in the hands of a PH, but they are so much like the venerable model 70 that with a bit of 'smithing I cannot imagine how they would not be terrific.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had one. I think like most any action you want to discuss, they are as good as the gunsmith who puts it together.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Two friends built 375's on them; one had a good experience, the other not so good.So, it may depend.....on what I don't know.But If I were looking to build a left-hand DGR for serious use,I'd find a M70 Classic and send it to Mark Penrod or Gene Simmillion.

Like you said, you're gonna spend a lot of money regardless of which action you choose,so I'd rather start with a M70.By the time either of those guys get through with a Classic, the bugs are out and you should have a good rifle.To me, I'd as soon have a left hand Ruger Hawkeye than a Montana, even in a DGR caliber.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I know Jim Brockman has built DG rifles using the M99 action (he built a .458 Lott for me), you could easily do the same. I asked for a Lothar-Walther barrel and Jim's laminated stock in his DGR pattern. I think you would be under half the price of those other rifles.

As to the .404 Jeff choice the most difficult item to get is the magazine and bottom metal, depending on the magazine capacity you need.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Well after 3 Cape Buffalos and one Elephant my L.H MRC and I are still on best of terms.I did not have any tuneing done. Just put it in a Mcmillan stock and fire 500 rds through it before heading to Africa

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
One flaw that they need to correct and nobody seems to notice is the gas escape hole on the front ring is below wood line on a properly stocked rifle, at least on the ones that I have seen. This could cause the wood to blow out and splintting could occur.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
One flaw that they need to correct and nobody seems to notice is the gas escape hole on the front ring is below wood line on a properly stocked rifle, at least on the ones that I have seen. This could cause the wood to blow out and splintting could occur. I suppose you could cut a half hole for it, but it was a silly mistake for them to make, and I don't want a half hole cut in my custom stock, no matter how small it is...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two of them now, neither in DG cartridges, but both are flawless and have performed perfectly in every way. You actually have to look pretty close to see it's not a winchester, any passing hunter would assume that it was, until they see a few little things mainly the bolt release.

They are heavier then a Mod70, and built really strong. As I understand this.........I'm repeating what I have heard not claiming this as fact. Ruger casts the actions for them. Ruger has a very good reputation for the strength of the actions they make, so it stands to reason it could be true?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JJ: My understanding as well;they are cast at the New Hampshire facility called Pine Tree "something",if what I hear is true.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
That would be Pine Tree Castings...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MRC ? It is considered poor form indeed to not write out in full the phrase or name first, then put the acronym in parentheses.

Ex: North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)

For those of us who aren't up on everything.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
MRC ?

Montana Rifle Company http://www.montanarifleman.com/

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Much Obliged

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by HunterJim
That would be Pine Tree Castings...jim

Thanks,Jim.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pine Tree Castings, division/subsidiary of Ruger

http://www.pinetreecastings.com/Casting/index.html

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 22kHornet, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 55 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,860
Posts18,517,817
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.