Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I've decided that it's just plain sinful, embarassing, and unAmerican to be .30-06-less.

But, since the cartridge has never appealed to me on any level other than nostalgia, I'd like to find one in a nice old pre-'64 model 70.

For those knowledgeable: what do I look for in terms of serial number, stock, sights, etc? Want to make sure I'm not buying a fake / refinished / modified gun.

Also, what's the "right" old 4x scope? Lyman?

Thanks dudes!

Rich

NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
conchworker,

If the pre 64 30-06 your after will be used for hunting where some walking is done then the only one to get is a Featherweight.

The old pattern M70's were too heavy in the standard calibers. Of course in some magnum, stand rifle, varmint or target rifle they are good.

As for the scope we used Lymans as they were right here in CT with the factory, range and club. Others scopes go as well like the old Weavers however the pre 64's are so good that unless yours never leaves the safe I would get the 'best' scope for it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Savage99s opinion is the same as my own. you may prefer heavier rifles. The full size earlier rifles('53 back)you can tell were more expensively made and I would like to acquire one. with that said i would rather hunt with a featherweight. I would study pre 64s at gunshows and ask questions also look at and study rifles for sale on gunbroker, etc. the price of pre 64s varys considerably.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
featherweight pre-64s ain't featherweights by modern standards, and standard weights are like carrying an anchor.

pick up a Shotgun News or Gun List, and look on the internet firearms sales sites to get an idea of the price range.

06s are common so you don't really have to worry about fakes....fakers try to turn common M70s into rare ones.

If you're looking for a 90-95% shooter rather than a minty collector's piece, you should be able to pick one up for less than a grand, maybe quite a bit less depending on condition. Here's a beater with an old 4x Redfield for 800 bucks. Looks pretty rough, though.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/90391170..._Model_70_Featherweight_Pre_64_30_06.htm

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...10-4 on that appraisal of what was called a "featherweight" back in the day. I've had one in my safe since the late 70's in 30/06. I've never done anything with it. Thought of having it bored out to 338, which would better justify it's heft. Not that it is really heavy, but it's no 'featherweight' in my book either.
.... What is nice on the old vintage gun is the beautiful metalwork. The stock is LESS than a few tics past PLAIN!Featuring less than admirable checkering, and a very common piece of American walnut..With new classier stock work, and opened up to 338/06 it would be a sweet rig that a fellow could take pride in. I believe the weight of the model 70 better fits 338 and up calibers.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
You should have no problem finding a "shooter" or "truck
gun" in 30-06 or 270. I would say between $500-$800. Depends
on what part of the country your in.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
They are wonderful rifles and everybody should have one, agreed. I was in a similar boat recently, Pre-64 wise, and finally got one.

Mine is a "boat anchor" standard rifle in 30-06, Pre-War made in '38. Those are okay in my opinion for stand hunting where you aren't walking around much- most hunting in my area is like that- or if you just don't mind the weight. Weight runs about 8 pounds scopeless.

If you were just going to have one, I'd opt for the featherweight, too.

I like mine enough already to be actively looking for others to adopt. Based on input here from the guys, I'd really like to have a FW in a lightweight stock for a "best of both worlds" rifle. The walnut and steel is hard to beat for class though.

The great thing about the Pre-64 model 70s is they tend to work good, look good, and shoot good and have the class and charisma normally found only in high end custom rifles, just IMHO.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just like any used rifle, look for one that has not been abused, in good condition,with a good bore and action.Extra screw holes drive me nuts. Try to be certain the trigger/safety work and function properly,the stock is in decent shape,and has no cracks,etc.Look for crisp guard screws(not a deal killer really because replacements are available from Brownell's).

Since about 1980,most of my best,most used,and most reliable hunting rifles have been pre 64 M70' FW's in 270 stocked in a Brown Precision or similar synthetic stock. I recently ordered a McMillan Edge for that very purpose.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one is also looking at the unit as in investment, then I think you are on the right track. I recently found a standard 06 in a local shop and picked it up with plans to resell in a dozen years or so. Condition and original configuration are paramount. Avoid things like reblued metal, refinished stocks, and recoil pads. The action/barrel stampings should easily reveal whether one is looking at original or reworked units.

They sure don't make them like that anymore, 1Minute

1Minute
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The fwts are certainly not that by the standards of today, but nothing in a production rifle today comes close to the overall quality and workmanship.

Look at known original examples and you can quickly educate yourself in what to look for when it comes time to buy. For me a solid original with a good barrel in the 80 to 90% range are the best deal for the money. One you can use, enjoy and maybe lighten up with a good aftermarket synthetic stock and not have it be a safe queen.

For me I think they missed the boat with the "new" model by not having a true scaled down fwt reincarnation that came in around 7lbs scoped with as someone else has mentioned in a previous post a great barrel. I think it would have been a winner.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1badf350, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,336
Posts18,526,783
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.