Print Thread
Hop To
C
ChipM Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm asking the question here hoping some have been through this. My oldest will be 11 in 2009 and I want to buy him his first centerfire rifle. Caliber is not the issue as there are many to choose from in the SA family. I started him 3 yrs ago with a SS Bolt Action 22 and figured that a boltgun would be a natural transistion. What I have learned over those couple of yrs is that he is left eye dominant eventhough he is right handed(go figure, I'm lft handed, right eye dominant-shoot rifle/shotgun right handed).

I am trying to do the right thing(I believe) by having him shoot left handed. There are not many choices out there for youth modeled LH boltguns but did see that Remington is noe offering their 700 SPS Youth in LH for the 243 and 7mm-08.

I want him to learn correctly from the start but as I said my choices are very limited. Would love a LH 22 but have not found one yet.

The big questions are:

Am I doing the right thing by having him shoot Left handed?
Should I be looking for a LH rifle only?
Does anybody know who makes a LH bolt 22 and/or other choices for a centerfire?

All help is greatly appreciated.

GB1

A
A
Just dont get him the Mossberg 100 ATR. I represent a man named Mr. Cotterill --this bolt action blew his face off. Essentially the same thing happened to two other men Mr. Ryder and Mr. Monnett with the same rifle. The assembly pin (sometimes called the bolt head pin or the retaining pin) is breaking causing horrific injuries.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are doing absolutely the right thing by getting him to shoot left handed.

If it was me I would try this (if the budget permits). Ruger Hawkeye

Buy an extra stock and you could cut one down to fit him. Also the 270 can be downloaded to a very easy recoil for him to handle and the 270 is a round he can use well into his adult years. I wouldn't bet against an avid hunter who's only rifle is a 270. theyt usually can shoot it quite well. And contrary to popular belief the 270 is perfectly adequate for deer & elk.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For 2009 Savage has a Syn stock youth left hand bolt bolt in 223, 243, 7mm-08, and 308.

The Model is 11FLYXP3

If he likes the rifle and grows you can at that point buy a new full sized stock for it.

..pick..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both my kids are righthanded/lefteye dominant. I am having them both shoot lefthanded with lefthanded rifles. If an action were to ever go, I want as much as possible going away from their face. Savage is fine, we have gone with Remingtons. I think the REmmy youth lefty is great, but supplies are growing limited.

Keep them shooting lefty on lefty actions.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I am a complete lefty! Both left eyed dominant and left handed. My ex is also a lefty, but, both of our kids are 100% right handed.........go figure.

Anyway, I would look into the Remington lefty SPS, I bought one in 708 just to get the action, and, must confess to liking the little gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMHO, not a bad idea trying to shoot left-handed. If initial practice will be off of a bench, then it might not be necessary to get a left-handed (bolt) action. From a rest it's actually quite convenient to operate a right-handed bolt action while shooting left. In fact it might actually be better as one does not have to move the 'trigger hand' from the handle. Another option might be a semi, particularly in 22LR. The Ruger 10/22 is reasonably priced and has a good rep for accuracy. You might not want to make too big a 'commitment' in the left-handed direction until you're sure it's going to work out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In our family myself and my 2 daughters are right handed. My wife is left handed.

Both my daughters are left eye dominant.

My youngest daughter cannot shut her left eye and shoot with her right eye. She was unable to learn to shoot left handed. In order to shoot we had to place a piece of cellophane tape over the center of the left eyepiece of her glasses. She only shoots a shotgun so am not sure how it might affect her if rifles were involved.

My eldest daughter found it possible to close her left eye so she could shoot from her right shoulder. She was also unable to learn to shoot left handed.

The thing I am getting at, is it possible for him to learn to use his non-dominant eye in sighting? He may find this easier than trying to shoot left handed.

Just a suggestion.

Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought my 11 year old lefty a LH 700 SPS Youth in 7mm08 last summer. Saddled him with a spare 2-7x33 Leupy Rifleman because Butler Creek Flip Ups cover the bell writing nicely. The scope takes full advantage of the non-critical eye relief (a/k/a "eyebox") and the rig is very user friendly. Used 100 gr Sierra's over 20 gr Blue Dot for low recoil trainers and full house campfire load 120 TSX's and R15 hunting loads.

The boy handled either load with ease and is getting more confident with every range trip. Heck the right handed dad even used the package to whack a last day doe that was trying to sneak through the backyard while I was loading the suburban to take the kids back to mom's place. Hey, the lil lefty gun is HANDY.

GE

C
ChipM Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thank you for the info so far. At my boys ages of 10 and 6 they are having a tough time winking one eye. Right now they are shooting with open sights as I can not find a peep sight for the Henry Mini Bolt. I am thinking about buying one of their Cantilever scope mounts and adding a scope. Again unsure if I should start so young with scope.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
CZ makes a nice left hand .22, if you want to start him that way. If not a Ruger .10-22 is one of the few autoloaders that will not spew burnt powder into his face. I know, I am 100% left handed.

Any left handed Savage or Remington centerfire will give him good service. You may buy a youth model and later add a full length stock later, or find a full size with a stock you wouldn't mind lopping off.

Leon

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My son is right handed and left eye dominant.
He shoots guns and bows left handed, everything else RH.

I started him (after BB Guns and Pellet Rifles) with a 10-22. I picked up an extra factory stock (cheap at gun shows) and cut down and slimmed it up to fit him--that left the original for when he grew. I put Weaver Pivot Mounts on his and mine, so you can go from scope to iron instantly as you need. With a little creative bedding and some touch up to the trigger, it (and mine) shoot very well indead.
I picked up a LH Rem 788 in 308 for his big gun. I trimmed down the factory stock a little and later put a laminated wood stock on. That gun has served him well also.
I recommend shooting with the dominant eye. I am accumulating some single shots, doubles and o/u s for my son to inherit, as the RH bolts will be of liitle use to him.
JMHO
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
CZ makes a left handed 22lr bolt action rifle. In centerfire I would look at the Remington Model 700 SPS Youth in a left handed action, in 7-08 caliber.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ChipM
What I have learned over those couple of yrs is that he is left eye dominant eventhough he is right handed .....

I am trying to do the right thing(I believe) by having him shoot left handed. There are not many choices out there for youth modeled LH boltguns but did see that Remington is noe offering their 700 SPS Youth in LH for the 243 and 7mm-08.

I want him to learn correctly from the start but as I said my choices are very limited. Would love a LH 22 but have not found one yet.

I don't know about any LH .22LR blot-rifles, but I believe you're teaching your boy the right way!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (10ring1, 160user, 1lesfox, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 37 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,760
Posts18,476,500
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.