Print Thread
Hop To
D
darrylf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I bought a used rifle and was going to replace the bases, they are locktited on and if I look real close it looks like red! Is there anyway to get these off, I did get one screw off.
thanks

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Heat the screw with the flame tip of a small propane torch placed directly on the screw head, and the heat will soften the locktite. Also tap on the end of the tool used to loosen the screws while you are turning it. Good luck.
dan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It it was me I would use a soldering iron and place the tip on the screw head. Me no likey open flames smile .

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would heat the tip of the screw driver tip red hot and hold it in the screw slot, and try to twist the screw out as the tip cooled down.

D
darrylf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks guys I will try heating the screw head and see what happens

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 13579
I would heat the tip of the screw driver tip red hot and hold it in the screw slot, and try to twist the screw out as the tip cooled down.

An old screwdriver that you're willing to sacrifice, I presume. Won't have much temper left.

Me, I'd opt for the soldering gun.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
D
darrylf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I got them off! I used a soldering gun and it worked good. I have always just tightened the screws on my bases and not put anything on them to help keep them tight. Is this what most of you do? or is there some other type of product that is used for this?
Thanks

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Not saying right or wrong,my gunsmith always uses pink Locktite on all scopes and bases he installs and I've never heard anyone complain about anything.I've had scopes and rings on rifles he's worked on for me for over 15 years and never had a problem.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by darrylf
I have always just tightened the screws on my bases and not put anything on them to help keep them tight.

An old gunsmith years ago told me he used nothing also. He cleaned and degreased the hole and the screwed and let the natural galling keep them set.

I epoxy my bases and screws with bedding epoxy. If necessary to remove I do exactly what you did to remove yours. Works great for me!

Used to be bobski, member since '01
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Easy enough....I use a screw driver blade with handle cut off and chuck it up in the drill press and then with the action chucked up in the drill press vice bring the two to meet..then lift the screw driver up and heat it cherry red, then bring it back down to the screw head, when you see a little smoke then turn the screw out by turning the drill chuck by hand until it is half out..finish removing the screw by hand with a regular screw driver...This will not damage any of the blue on your gun that can occur on ocassion by just heating the screw with a torch. I also don't really have to disasemble the gun to do it this way, although I usually do...

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Easy enough....I use a screw driver blade with handle cut off and chuck it up in the drill press and then with the action chucked up in the drill press vice bring the two to meet..then lift the screw driver up and heat it cherry red, then bring it back down to the screw head, when you see a little smoke then turn the screw out by turning the drill chuck by hand until it is half out..finish removing the screw by hand with a regular screw driver...This will not damage any of the blue on your gun that can occur on ocassion by just heating the screw with a torch. I also don't really have to disasemble the gun to do it this way, although I usually do...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by darrylf
I got them off! I used a soldering gun and it worked good. I have always just tightened the screws on my bases and not put anything on them to help keep them tight. Is this what most of you do? or is there some other type of product that is used for this?
Thanks

I got a bottle of non hard setting Loctite back in the early 70's. It is made to make the threads gummy and not made to be hard setting. I use acid tone to clean the screw threads and the inside of the threads. This thread locker makes it hard to turn all the way to the last thread, but not hard to turn at first. In other words there is no breaking the hard tension.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No use in ruining a good tool when all you got to do is use the soldering gun or discolor with an open flame. I have used the red loctite on scope bases for years and anytime I want to remove I just hold the solder tip to the screw for a few seconds and back the screws right out. I do however use the blue on my rings. Used this trick as a mechanic for over 40 years now, torch good on large parts with bolts.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Blue loctite on bases, rings are left bare

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's the correct way but not my way. I've never had one work loose my way, which includes the proper torque settings. which sometimes are almost impossible to get and have broken screws from specs I got from the manufacture.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use green loctite on the bases and glue them on with Gorilla glue. I use oil on the rings and tighten squeaky tight. Never had either one come loose.

Acetone will affect it but it takes time to let it work. Make sure your screwdriver or hex wrench is a perfect fit. I try to use Torx type fasteners.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (300_savage, 2ndwind, 1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 375TN, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 17 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,326
Posts18,505,869
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.