Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
'
'Slayer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
'
Good one,Bend! [Linked Image]...I always enjoy a little light hearted posting! [Linked Image].....makes me feel like I'm around the campfire!....think about it, ...when you go hunting with friends, and your all around the campfire at night, is it light hearted comraderie or totally serious debates that prevail most of the time........<P>......if you answer was the latter, you'd find yourself camping alone pretty soon! [Linked Image]<BR>I can take the "meat" of a subject and explore every angle, pose every possible scenario or ponder any stance on the subject presented.....but I also wanna be able to poke a guy in the ribs for a laugh every now and then as well!....I think they refer to that as BSing! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]<BR>DS <p>[This message has been edited by 'Slayer (edited June 05, 2001).]

'Slayer
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MD4 I surely didn't take a thing you said in any wrong way. I don't think you can or should brutalize a horse or a dog or a kid into submission. You just got something that is scared to death of you and will wind up hurting you some day. But you know just as sure sometime you have to get their attention and some "listen" better than others. Then again some are just plain nuts from the get go. [Linked Image] Sounds like you had one once. I've known a few over the years.<BR>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This difference in approach has been around longer than any of us have been alive.My uncle that raised me worked on the four sixes at Guthrie TX,and my wife's dad was a Matador cowboy.The Matador hands made fun of the boys on the Sixes: They slick 'em and shine 'em,we ride 'em and slide 'em!<P>You can still spot a Matador bred horse.He will have a big roman nose,and old time small quarter horse ears,but they are built and they was born hating a cow.They take a firm hand but there aint a counterfeit bone in a one of "em.You can listen to him and you can whisper to him but once that's over with,you are gonna have to ride him.<P>------------------<BR>Boone and Crockett was rednecks

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slayer, -- dude, you must be very careful around this fire who you try to BS with, some have their stinger out looking for something to make their day. With friends you don't have to fret about how they will take it. As for the horse, I let one graze along the trail one year, I knew he knew where we were going and would keep the pack string in sight, I was enjoying looking myself. Big mistake, spoiled that sucker half way into the camp, then had to un spoil him. When working make them work, when the bridle coms off, play time. JMHO<BR>-- no <P>------------------<BR>A hint to the wise is sufficient! Smiles are contagious, infect everyone!

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Few people sorely tried my pastor father's long patience, but he had virtually none for ministers who used their honored positions to take advantage of trusting people. But he could joke about this sleazy practice, with this yarn (for example) that carries the point � a rather sharp point.<P>A man bought a horse from a preacher for what he thought was a good deal. But when he hitched it to the plow, it wouldn't pull the plow.<P>"Oh, the preacher forgot to tell me this is a wagon horse."<P>So he hitched it to the wagon, and it wouldn't pull the wagon.<P>"Well, that preacher forgot to tell me this is a buggy horse."<P>The horse wouldn't pull the buggy, either.<P>"Hmm, the preacher forgot to tell me this is a saddle horse."<P>But the horse wouldn't stand for a saddle. So the man went to talk things over with the preacher.<P>"Preacher, that hoss you sold me won't pull nothin' and won't let me put a saddle on him, neither."<P>"A deal's a deal!" The preacher huffed up a bit. "You don't expect me to buy 'im back, do you?"<P>"Oh, no!" the man said. "I'd jes' like to borrow your collar 'n' coat long enough to sell 'im."

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

'
'Slayer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
'
Ken.....my father in law is a preacher....Baptist at that. I can sure relate to your liitle joke! [Linked Image]<P>Sonnie.....thanks for the warning,...I've learned to spot stingers pretty well, but I still play with the bees. Like you, I sometimes have more wit than given credit for, and can usually figure out the sub-plot within the plot. <P>....and those friends you spoke of not having to fret around,......well they make it all ok to step on out there near the beehive......if you know what I mean [Linked Image]<P>Gene....sure hope mine ain't got a Roman Nose! [Linked Image]<BR>DS

'Slayer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gene you do bring back memories. The sixes and the forks and Matador. We didn't get too many of their horses back here but some came in. You remember the old King ranch bread working horses? You better be sure you wanted to ride off into what ever you pointed them at because they were sure going to go. Most of them were Vaquero broke and cold mouth too.<BR>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mr Howell that story reminded me of one that used to make the rounds here.<P>Seems like there was this fellow who had a reall good coon dog. A bunch of old boys went on a hunt and watched him work and one allowed as how he would like to buy him. Dog owner said ok when they struck a good price so the new owner loaded the dog up and started to drive off.<P>"Wait a minute." the old owner said, "You ain't paid me for my dog."<P>"I'll pay you next week."<P>"How do I know that?"<P>"Don't worry, I'm an Elder in the Church of Christ," said the other fellow. <P>"What's an Elder in the Church of Christ?"<P>"It is about the same as a Deacon in the Baptist Church," he said as he drove off with the dog.<P>Old dog owner just busted out crying. Another friend of his asked him what was wrong.<P>"Lord, I done give my dog away," he said.<BR>BCR<P>

Quando Omni Moritati
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Need One,I like that----When working make them work---when the bridle comes off play time.<BR>How true that is,nothing worse then a spoiled horse. That was something that took me a long time to get my Husband to understand when I first met him and taught him to ride.He wanted to treat it like it was a big dog.<BR>Being friendly is good but make sure they know not to cross that line.<BR>I hate it when my horse tryes to use me as a rub post and Steve thought it was cute LOL right up till he got hit between the legs and pushed up against the trailer.<BR>I cought him playing tag in the round pen once ,I told him not to do that with a horse--him being a young guy and trying to empress me LOL said , he likes me were buds--well I am sure you all know what happened next--the horse turned around and bucked kicking out and nailing Steve on both upper legs,one hoof on each leg,he went sailing through the air I really thought his legs were broken.<BR>After I found out he was OK but shook up He got the stupid persons butt chewing.<BR>He did turn out to be good with horses but that first year was a tought one.(I almost didnt keep him)LOL <BR>I keep telling him its a work animal not a dog. If I had only had a videom camera back then LOL We do have lots of laughs from back then.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ranger, as a minister and son of a minister, I have to tell you that both your story and mine are 100% true to life, even if neither happened exactly that way. That's one reason I never even took up a collection or campaigned for donations.<P>But now we've descended into the realm of coon-dog stories, from where there's no salvation.<P>One of my favorites tells of the fellow who started weeping while others were bragging about their long-gone coon dogs, long since promoted to archangel status in their owners' accounts.<P>"All I had to do," he said, "was jes' show Ol' Snag'em what size o' skinnin' board I wanted a coon skin for, and he'd go get me a coon jes' that size."<P>"What ever happened to 'im?"<P>"I was out in the back yard one day, makin' the ol' lady a arnin' board, 'n' Ol' Snag'em run off. Ain't seen 'im since."<BR>_____<P>In an era before ours, one old coon-hunter gave up the sport (he said) after he "shot a six-foot coon and found a college boy inside."

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
While there is alot of credit to be given to the "horse whisperers", I would like them to try their whispering techniques on true blue wild horses from the desert. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] And although the WHISPERER may be able to ride the horse in 30 minutes, that doesnt mean just anyone can get on the horse and ride it after that period. I have become tuned into the horses I have and can tell you what they are thinking by watching their ears and their eyes. That doesnt make me a WHISPERER, but it helps in knowing what the horse is going to do. One thing about horses is theres never a dull moment. Nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse!!!! bcat<P>------------------<BR>If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes [img]http://www.hunttalk.com/icon/bcatrunningcat.gif.com/boykin][/img] <BR><A HREF="http://www.huntandlodge.com/Boykin/outfitter.html" TARGET=_blank>Boykin's Hunting <B>Homepage</B> </A>

If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes [img]http://www.hunttalk.com/icon/bcatrunningcat.gif.com/boykin][/img] <BR><A HREF="http://www.huntandlodge.com/Boykin/outfitter.html" TARGET=_blank>Boykin's Hunting <B>Homepage</B> </A>
'
'Slayer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
'
Well, between my whispering and that ol' chain,....been kinda quiet around here for a while! [Linked Image]<P>.....I went out and whispered to him this morning before I rode him back to the top of Horsetooth,....I whispered,"If you do exactly what I want you to, I won't have to kick your @ss"!!!!!!!!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

'Slayer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bcat, -- like I have been telling you for the last year, I GET THE TENDER HORSE! Should I save one of these saddles to bring up there? You know ole "no" is hard of hearing, so if you hear me whispering in your horses ear kinda loud, I'm sure you will understand, hope he understands sailor talk cause that's what they taught me in the Air Force when things didn't go right. I won't be wearing my "light fall" underwear that time of year so take heed, I break easy. -- no<P>------------------<BR>A hint to the wise is sufficient! Smiles are contagious, infect everyone!

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

446 members (06hunter59, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 163bc, 10Glocks, 38 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,659
Posts18,512,847
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.