My wife and I decided on Corned Beef and Cabbage for News Years Day. Good luck for Irish. We invited my 94 yr old mother. About 30 min after I put the corned beef on with some beef broth,salt, and pepper, my brother-in-law called and invited us for dinner due to a late Christmas arrival. I cooked the corned beef for about 2 hrs, separated it from the broth, and left both in the fridge. The next day I fired them up again and cooked for about another hour adding baby carrots, removing the corned beef to rest, and adding a head of cabbage quartered and a few small red potatoes halved to the broth. The best corned beef that I ever made.

I saved the strained broth and the next day I added dry beans, 1C pinto, 1C great northern, 1/2C Lima, and 1/2C Kidney, one beer, some water, and leftover ham from Christmas. Cooked all afternoon and served with cornbread.

Today we had Rubens with the leftover corned beef. I noted on the corned beef package that the price was $3.87. My wife bought several last St. Patrick's Day cheap and froze them. Life is good.